American v. GW v. Mason Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sssmith

New

American v. GW v. Mason

Post by sssmith » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:20 pm

I just finished 1L at American where I have a scholarship that covers about 70% of tuition. I've been accepted to GW and Mason as a transfer... I'd have to pay full tuition at GW but Mason would be completely free for me. I want a firm job after school. Where should I go??? Or do I stay?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: American v. GW v. Mason

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:30 pm

How well did you do 1L year?

DaydreamNation

Bronze

Post by DaydreamNation » Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:36 am

sssmith wrote:I just finished 1L at American where I have a scholarship that covers about 70% of tuition. I've been accepted to GW and Mason as a transfer... I'd have to pay full tuition at GW but Mason would be completely free for me. I want a firm job after school. Where should I go??? Or do I stay?
Just a heads-up, as I'm 0L and can't help you here: there is a transfers forum where you probably will get more tailored advice http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... m.php?f=27

sssmith

New

Post by sssmith » Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:48 pm

UVA2B wrote:How well did you do 1L year?
3.48, top third of my class

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:15 pm

sssmith wrote:
Mason for free is much better than GW at sticker or American at 70% scholly. Do you have any other options?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sssmith

New

Post by sssmith » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:09 pm

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
sssmith wrote:
Mason for free is much better than GW at sticker or American at 70% scholly. Do you have any other options?
No these are my only options. Could you please explain why you think Mason is the best option? I am mostly hesitant to choose Mason because of the low percentage of students that end up in firms. Also, I'm worried that no one outside of this area has even heard of Mason.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:34 pm

You have a much better shot at biglaw from top 1/3 at American than you would at GM. GWU at sticker is nuts so I would stay put and try to get American to bump you up to a full ride.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:52 pm

dm1683 wrote:You have a much better shot at biglaw from top 1/3 at American than you would at GM. GWU at sticker is nuts so I would stay put and try to get American to bump you up to a full ride.
+1

Slippin' Jimmy

Silver

Post by Slippin' Jimmy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:29 pm

dm1683 wrote:You have a much better shot at biglaw from top 1/3 at American than you would at GM. GWU at sticker is nuts so I would stay put and try to get American to bump you up to a full ride.
Just curious, why do you and others believe American gives a much better shot at biglaw than GM? It seems to me like they give an almost identically slim chance at biglaw while GM has a not insignificant higher percentage of graduates that are actually employed as full time lawyers. LST has them both at 13.X% BL placement last year, and if OP couldn't get into anywhere better it seems to me like GM for free is the best option.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 12:23 am

Slippin' Jimmy wrote:
Just curious, why do you and others believe American gives a much better shot at biglaw than GM? It seems to me like they give an almost identically slim chance at biglaw while GM has a not insignificant higher percentage of graduates that are actually employed as full time lawyers. LST has them both at 13.X% BL placement last year, and if OP couldn't get into anywhere better it seems to me like GM for free is the best option.
OP already has grades at American. At GM, they would be starting over as basically a median student and trying to do OCI as a transfer, which is notoriously harder especially with similar quality schools

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jul 18, 2017 5:29 am

Yeah, the idea of doing OCI as a transfer at any of these schools is suspect to me. OP, I think you may have to just hustle and see if you can get a big firm, but I wouldn't count on it at this point. You went to a school where only the top of the class has a reasonable shot at biglaw.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”