Is UT the right fit for me? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
The Speed of Love

New

Is UT the right fit for me?

Post by The Speed of Love » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:27 pm

Hey all! Sorry in advance if this is putting the cart before the horse. Just wanted to see if I could get some thoughts on my situation.

My stats are 3.84/174. I will be entering a masters program at UT in the fall and was planning to apply this year for a dual degree with UT Law. I have fairly generic biglaw goals, with the added wrinkle that I am aiming to eventually work abroad (after a few years Stateside to avoid pigeonholing myself too severely). I used to live in the country I'm aiming for (sizable legal market) and have some family who moved there. My understanding is that starting my career in New York would be my best bet for working abroad later, but I'm not sure how much of an impact it actually has. I would be perfectly happy living and lawyering here in Texas, though, if I didn't reach that goal.

I think my numbers will put me in with some money at schools with better biglaw odds, so I suppose this really just boils down to opportunity cost. Do I have a realistic shot at my goals from UT, should I take an extra year to increase my chances, or should I put working abroad out of my mind altogether when choosing between law schools?

Thanks!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Re: Is UT the right fit for me?

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:31 pm

If you have generic biglaw goals and those numbers I wouldn't do UT. UT gives you a solid shot, but you have the numbers to get $$$ at schools that will give you a substantially better shot.

Lawnghorn_2018

New

Post by Lawnghorn_2018 » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:20 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:If you have generic biglaw goals and those numbers I wouldn't do UT. UT gives you a solid shot, but you have the numbers to get $$$ at schools that will give you a substantially better shot.
This. And I go to UT.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:56 pm

Going to UT would be an awful decision for you. You have HYS/full ride at T13 numbers and NY biglaw is much less certain than it is at virtually every T13. The Masters program also won't help you in any way, shape, or form to get NY biglaw.

The Speed of Love

New

Post by The Speed of Love » Mon Jul 10, 2017 8:46 pm

Thanks for the advice, y'all! I'll blanket the t13 and see what offers I can get.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”