Classified Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Zipman

New

Classified

Post by Zipman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:07 pm

REDACTED
Last edited by Zipman on Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: NYU Sticker v. Duke ($)

Post by UVA2B » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:09 pm

With those goals, you definitely made the right choice. Congrats!

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:14 pm

Zipman wrote:I think I made the right call, anyone care to tell me I'm wrong?
I could make an argument for NYU here, but what would the point possibly be? Stop focusing on decisions that you've already made and can't change. Look forward.

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:20 pm

rpupkin wrote:
but what would the point possibly be?
my happiness

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Jun 25, 2017 8:22 pm

Zipman wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
my happiness
Your happiness depends on what others think of your past decisions? That's pretty sad. Sorry, I'm not going to help, but I will wish you good luck at Duke.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Zipman

New

Post by Zipman » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:00 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Zipman wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
my happiness
Your happiness depends on what others think of your past decisions? That's pretty sad. Sorry, I'm not going to help, but I will wish you good luck at Duke.
Luck doesn't exist but thanks

Redfactor

Bronze

Re: Classified

Post by Redfactor » Sun Jun 25, 2017 9:50 pm

kudos on the new title.

60k+ COA difference is nothing to scoff at, especially when Duke is more than capable of getting you your goals. Have fun and good luck.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:15 am

Zipman wrote:Luck doesn't exist but thanks
I cannot wait until you encounter the 1L curve.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:04 am

Are you me? Hahaha, but I might end up choosing NYU, because I'm dumb.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:42 am

I had to make the same choice(and went Duke). I waffle every so often too but at the end of the day everyone had to choose between more than one school, it's best to just look forward to attending the school you did pick.

Plus as far as happiness is concerned come January you'll definitely know you picked the right city

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jun 26, 2017 6:39 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:Are you me? Hahaha, but I might end up choosing NYU, because I'm dumb.
why do it if you know it'll most likely end up being a dumb decision?

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:55 pm

proteinshake wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:Are you me? Hahaha, but I might end up choosing NYU, because I'm dumb.
Because I want to live in NYC? I don't know really...
I know I will work in NYC, so it makes most sense to probably be in the proximity of the market. And I don't think the 60000 is a huge difference to alter my decision. But again I haven't decided yet.

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash

Silver

Post by Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:06 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
I know I will work in NYC, so it makes most sense to probably be in the proximity of the market. And I don't think the 60000 is a huge difference to alter my decision. But again I haven't decided yet.
It's gotta be more than 60 after col right? Also it might help but I don't think I've heard of anyone having trouble getting from Duke to nyc personally

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:17 pm

Dr.Degrees_Cr.Cash wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
It's gotta be more than 60 after col right? Also it might help but I don't think I've heard of anyone having trouble getting from Duke to nyc personally
Yes, probably 75,000 with CoL considered -- that is, if I live frugally in NYC. I'm just under the impression that NYU would open doors to the top firms even if I don't have exactly top grades (top 10%). I can presumably get into V10 firms with a lower grade at NYU than at Duke.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Mon Jun 26, 2017 10:28 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
Yes, probably 75,000 with CoL considered -- that is, if I live frugally in NYC. I'm just under the impression that NYU would open doors to the top firms even if I don't have exactly top grades (top 10%). I can presumably get into V10 firms with a lower grade at NYU than at Duke.
If you're from a super rich background, then I guess it doesn't matter as much (idk if you are). but you def don't need to be top 10% or anything around that to get a V10 out of Duke (though there are plenty of non-V10 firms that are considered "more prestigious" than some V10 firms I believe, so I wouldn't get too caught up in the V10 (and a lot say not to worry about Vault rankings at all).

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:05 pm

proteinshake wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
If you're from a super rich background, then I guess it doesn't matter as much (idk if you are). but you def don't need to be top 10% or anything around that to get a V10 out of Duke (though there are plenty of non-V10 firms that are considered "more prestigious" than some V10 firms I believe, so I wouldn't get too caught up in the V10 (and a lot say not to worry about Vault rankings at all).
I wouldn't say my family is super rich -- but they are relatively well-off and 75,000 dollars over three years do not really make a huge difference to my parents. My parents told me to go anywhere that makes me happier -- in this case, it's NYU.

But a main reason motivating my decision is that I was under the possibly false impression that one needs to be close to top 10 - 20% at Duke to get V10. However, one can get the same V10 firms from NYU at say top 40%. Am I mistaken? That's what people have been telling me. I agree a lot of non-V10 firms are more prestigious, and I'm just saying it as a shorthand for "very top firms."

If I'm totally making this up, I probably should not rip off my parents.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon Jun 26, 2017 11:32 pm

You don't need to be top 10-20% at Duke to get a V10. Think about the firms in the V10. Do all those strike you as highly grade conscious?

75K is a literal butt-ton of money, if you feel like blowing through rich parents money then YOLO but that's cray cray IMO if you're just trying to marginally increase chances at "top firms" (whatever that means and totally setting aside whether or not that's a worthwhile aspiration to have as a 0L)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue Jun 27, 2017 3:18 am

BigZuck wrote:You don't need to be top 10-20% at Duke to get a V10. Think about the firms in the V10. Do all those strike you as highly grade conscious?

75K is a literal butt-ton of money, if you feel like blowing through rich parents money then YOLO but that's cray cray IMO if you're just trying to marginally increase chances at "top firms" (whatever that means and totally setting aside whether or not that's a worthwhile aspiration to have as a 0L)
Thanks for the advice. I don't know...then I'm seriously not sure now. Would you say the same if we replace NYU with Columbia (at sticker)?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:12 am

melmelcoolj wrote:
BigZuck wrote:You don't need to be top 10-20% at Duke to get a V10. Think about the firms in the V10. Do all those strike you as highly grade conscious?

Thanks for the advice. I don't know...then I'm seriously not sure now. Would you say the same if we replace NYU with Columbia (at sticker)?
NYU and Columbia have very similar placement power for NYC biglaw, so I doubt it would change anything. There really aren't any biglaw doors that close for you by going to Duke (with the possible exception of Wachtell?), so I'd save the money.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:24 am

melmelcoolj wrote:

did you go to ASD or visit Duke? they gave out a packet that showed where every Duke grad was employed by firm name. I can PM it to you if you wanna see it.
Last edited by proteinshake on Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

melmelcoolj

Bronze

Post by melmelcoolj » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:41 am

proteinshake wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

did you go to ASD or visit Duke? they gave out a packet that showed where every Duke grad was employed. I can PM it to you if you wanna see it.
No, I have not. I'm an international student and visiting would be too costly. But apparently not more than 60K dollars, haha -- so maybe I should have visited. I have visited NYU when I was traveling in NYC two years ago, and thought it was okay, but nothing spectacular.

I'm sure Duke has very good employment numbers, and I actually have seen some stats like that on their website. I'm not too worried about finding a job from either of the two schools, unless I literally become the bottom of the class. But I guess I was under the possibly false impression that NYU opens more doors at top firms?

Since I'm international, I assume top firms would give me access to more international cases which would allow me to use my language abilities and WEs. But I guess I am putting the cart before the horse, since I don't even know if I would be above median at either of the places, so I might be just creating an entirely unrealistic scenario that will become very very expensive.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Tue Jun 27, 2017 11:58 am

International cases? Language abilities?

I mean, maybe I guess. But I think you might be a little misguided as to what associates tend to do, especially at "top firms." You'll probably be on your third or fourth firm or out of the law altogether before anyone wants to use any skills you might have (granted maybe it's different for someone who does have legit skills to bring to the table, unlike the vast majority of freshly minted lawyers)

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Tue Jun 27, 2017 7:37 pm

melmelcoolj wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
melmelcoolj wrote:

did you go to ASD or visit Duke? they gave out a packet that showed where every Duke grad was employed. I can PM it to you if you wanna see it.
No, I have not. I'm an international student and visiting would be too costly. But apparently not more than 60K dollars, haha -- so maybe I should have visited. I have visited NYU when I was traveling in NYC two years ago, and thought it was okay, but nothing spectacular.

I'm sure Duke has very good employment numbers, and I actually have seen some stats like that on their website. I'm not too worried about finding a job from either of the two schools, unless I literally become the bottom of the class. But I guess I was under the possibly false impression that NYU opens more doors at top firms?

Since I'm international, I assume top firms would give me access to more international cases which would allow me to use my language abilities and WEs. But I guess I am putting the cart before the horse, since I don't even know if I would be above median at either of the places, so I might be just creating an entirely unrealistic scenario that will become very very expensive.
PM'd

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”