Maryland vs. Baltimore (Intellectual Property Law) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rellek

New

Maryland vs. Baltimore (Intellectual Property Law)

Post by rellek » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:27 am

Hello!

I have been accepted to both University of Maryland, Baltimore (Carey School of Law) and University of Baltimore (Angelos School of Law), both my in-state schools. Both cost almost the same for in-state students (roughly $30,000 tuition). Baltimore is giving me $2,500/year to go there, which is really negligible difference in the scheme of things.

Based off of USNWR overall ratings, it sounds like I should go to Maryland Carey Law. They are a tier 1 school, and second oldest law school in the U.S. But I was wondering if there were different rankings for the intellectual law programs at each of the schools. That's the area of law I really want to get into.

Thanks in advance! :D

grades??

Silver

Re: Maryland vs. Baltimore (Intellectual Property Law)

Post by grades?? » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:33 am

Do you have at minimum a masters degree or a phd in a hard science?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:41 am

At least Regent isn't still in play (not that this is much better).

Read your last choosing thread. You're making a catastrophic mistake going to law school with a 149 LSAT, and law school is a bad way to become a sports agent, particularly at these specific schools.

rellek

New

Post by rellek » Sat Jun 24, 2017 10:52 am

grades?? wrote:Do you have at minimum a masters degree or a phd in a hard science?
No, but I'm looking to go into the copyright, trademarks, intermet part of intellectual property law (i.e. everything but patent law). I do have experience as a computer programmer and graphic designer, though. Sorry, I should have specified that.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:03 am

rellek wrote:They are a tier 1 school, and second oldest law school in the U.S.
Well, I'm sold. Follow your dreams!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pancakes3

Platinum

Post by pancakes3 » Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:11 am

lol, soft IP. just lol.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Mon Jun 26, 2017 5:03 am

I know people told you to retake and sit the cycle out a million times. You clearly aren't going to listen to that advice.

Based on your question here, Maryland at equal cost is the better option. Don't put all your eggs in the IP law basket.

ausimpv

New

Post by ausimpv » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:08 pm

Neither will get you into IP but Maryland has a better chance of landing you a job outside of Maryland... UB is fine if you plan to stay in Baltimore

timbs4339

Gold

Post by timbs4339 » Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:47 pm

Nope. Too expensive, and soft IP jobs are hard enough to get from T14s.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rellek

New

Post by rellek » Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:13 am

lavarman84 wrote:I know people told you to retake and sit the cycle out a million times. You clearly aren't going to listen to that advice.
No reason to. I made it into a tier 1 law school: the premier law school in my state. And I was awarded money as well, which I just found out a couple days ago :). To hold out for a year, while interest on my undergrad loans starts accruing, would be the absolute dumbest choice I could have made.

lavarman84

Platinum

Post by lavarman84 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:08 am

rellek wrote:
lavarman84 wrote:I know people told you to retake and sit the cycle out a million times. You clearly aren't going to listen to that advice.
No reason to. I made it into a tier 1 law school: the premier law school in my state. And I was awarded money as well, which I just found out a couple days ago :). To hold out for a year, while interest on my undergrad loans starts accruing, would be the absolute dumbest choice I could have made.
There are many reasons why. Your reasoning for not doing so is particularly suspect, but we all get to make choices. I hope your choice works out for you.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:44 am

rellek wrote:
I mean, the dumbest choice you could have made would be to accrue more debt while going to a school that barely gives you about a 50-60% chance of being a practicing lawyer after graduation, let alone a practicing lawyer who can pay off your new and improved debt while working in your target field.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:40 am

rellek wrote:
Dude, undergrad loans are nothing compared to the mess you're about to be into. You're going to be looking at about $170k in additional debt, with a very minimal chance of making enough money to pay it off anytime in this generation. Add that to your undergrad debt.

Study for the test and get a score that will allow you to go to these schools for free. It's the same education and same job market, without about a hundred grand knocked off the cost. Over the lifetime of your loans, that will probably mean like $150k in savings. Just do simple math, man.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”