UT (in-state sticker) vs. Tulane ($$$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Lawser24

New

UT (in-state sticker) vs. Tulane ($$$)

Post by Lawser24 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:42 pm

Just got in off the waitlist at UT. Thrilled and still can't believe it, but paying ~$35k/year is pretty steep compared to a great offer from Tulane...

I want to work in Texas, not sure what area of law. Done a bunch of math and debt at Tulane would come out to ~$35k, and at UT it would come out to ~$110,000. Any thoughts?

UVA2B

Gold

Re: UT (in-state sticker) vs. Tulane ($$$)

Post by UVA2B » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:06 am

What exactly do you want to do in Texas, and specifically what part of Texas interests you? And assuming you're talking no scholarship at UT and a scholarship at Tulane, how are you calculating COA? How are you paying for everything that isn't tuition?

This question likely isn't answerable without much more information about your costs, goals, and credentials. UT is great for placing in Texas, but will be very expensive if you're not accounting for things outside of tuition. Tulane will be relatively inexpensive (albeit still pretty expensive if you're not accounting for things outside of tuition), and doesn't place in Texas very well at all.

Please let us know what type of job you want in TX, whether you're accounting for cost of living in these debt calculations, and your LSAT/GPA so we can advise appropriately.

Lawser24

New

Post by Lawser24 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:20 am

I'm interested in transactional law the most as of right now, but am very open minded and would love to work in sports (sometime in the future). Yes, I took into account tuition, housing, personal, books, etc, when calculating those numbers. 163/3.8.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:05 am

Lawser24 wrote:I'm interested in transactional law the most as of right now, but am very open minded and would love to work in sports (sometime in the future). Yes, I took into account tuition, housing, personal, books, etc, when calculating those numbers. 163/3.8.
Sports law is an extremely difficult field to break in to, and that's putting it mildly. But for TX biglaw, UT is probably your best bet.

With your GPA, I'd retake and reapply next cycle, because you could easily be going to UT for free. But if you absolutely insist on going this cycle, then $110k debt out of UT isn't a bad outcome.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”