Help: Immigration Law Schools? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tzav

New

Help: Immigration Law Schools?

Post by tzav » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:05 pm

Hey guys! I would love any input anyone has about good schools for immigration law. My GPA is a 3.7 and LSAT is 167: right now I'm looking at schools like Notre Dame, Cornell, Vanderbilt, and Pepperdine. Does anyone have any other schools they would suggest? Thank you!!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Help: Immigration Law Schools?

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:13 pm

Welcome to TLS. You really shouldn't be picking a school based on a sub-specialty of law, especially one like immigration law. If you're dead set about going into helping immigrants with their legal status in this country, you should really consider where you want to practice more than courses a school offers on immigration law.

Are you dead-set on becoming a full time immigration attorney, and if so, have you spoken with full time immigration attorneys about what the job is like?

albanach

Gold

Post by albanach » Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:39 pm

UVA2B wrote: If you're dead set about going into helping immigrants with their legal status in this country, you should really consider where you want to practice more than courses a school offers on immigration law.
Unless, perhaps you're looking at corporate practice, helping large firms handle visas for employers. In which case you probably want to look at the highest ranked schools you can get into in order to make the chance of biglaw more accessible.

Of course those are just two very different types of immigration law. UVA2B is correct that you should establish if that really is the area you want to focus on. I'd also suggest keeping an open mind as you go into law school. You never know what other previously unconsidered areas of law you might discover.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:00 pm

albanach wrote:
UVA2B wrote: If you're dead set about going into helping immigrants with their legal status in this country, you should really consider where you want to practice more than courses a school offers on immigration law.
Unless, perhaps you're looking at corporate practice, helping large firms handle visas for employers. In which case you probably want to look at the highest ranked schools you can get into in order to make the chance of biglaw more accessible.

Of course those are just two very different types of immigration law. UVA2B is correct that you should establish if that really is the area you want to focus on. I'd also suggest keeping an open mind as you go into law school. You never know what other previously unconsidered areas of law you might discover.
Assumptions are a dangerous thing, cause I automatically go to indigent and alien status when people say immigration law without explicitly stating they want Biglaw, but if we're talking handling immigration matters on the corporate scale, everything changes. Thanks for backing me up.

tzav

New

Post by tzav » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:16 pm

Thank you both for your input! Yes, I have worked in legal offices that deal with refugee and asylum-seeker status and am sure that's what I want to do. What would you then recommend I look for in a law school?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:32 pm

tzav wrote:Thank you both for your input! Yes, I have worked in legal offices that deal with refugee and asylum-seeker status and am sure that's what I want to do. What would you then recommend I look for in a law school?
Since most of that work is generally lower paid and usually non-profit focused, you should be looking for schools in the geographic region you want to practice where you can go for free or damn close to it. If it was Florida, think UF/FSU. If TX, UT/UH. If AZ, UofA/ASU. Does that make sense?

Given you have strong numbers relative to pretty much all regional schools, I'd be targeting the strongest regional in your chosen geographic region. If you have multiple potential geographic regions, target each of the strongest regionals in those areas with maybe a few T20 like Cornell, GULC, WUSTL, etc. to use strictly for purposes of negotiating with those strong regional schools. Do not go to Cornell (for instance) for full price or close to it when you have ASU for free wanting to do immigration law in AZ.

Mullens

Silver

Post by Mullens » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:16 pm

tzav wrote:Hey guys! I would love any input anyone has about good schools for immigration law. My GPA is a 3.7 and LSAT is 167: right now I'm looking at schools like Notre Dame, Cornell, Vanderbilt, and Pepperdine. Does anyone have any other schools they would suggest? Thank you!!
Yeah the advice of everyone else here is pretty spot on. You should try to get a full-ride at the best school in your target market. You likely won't make very much money in immigration law so it's important to minimize debt.

Also, be aware that language fluency/proficiency is all but required for immigration law and you will want to work somewhere with a sizable community that has need for a lawyer with your language skills.

MadamSecretary

New

Post by MadamSecretary » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:18 pm

UVA2B wrote:
tzav wrote:Thank you both for your input! Yes, I have worked in legal offices that deal with refugee and asylum-seeker status and am sure that's what I want to do. What would you then recommend I look for in a law school?
Since most of that work is generally lower paid and usually non-profit focused, you should be looking for schools in the geographic region you want to practice where you can go for free or damn close to it. If it was Florida, think UF/FSU. If TX, UT/UH. If AZ, UofA/ASU. Does that make sense?

Given you have strong numbers relative to pretty much all regional schools, I'd be targeting the strongest regional in your chosen geographic region. If you have multiple potential geographic regions, target each of the strongest regionals in those areas with maybe a few T20 like Cornell, GULC, WUSTL, etc. to use strictly for purposes of negotiating with those strong regional schools. Do not go to Cornell (for instance) for full price or close to it when you have ASU for free wanting to do immigration law in AZ.

Since most of that work is generally lower paid and usually non-profit focused, you should be looking for schools in the geographic region you want to practice where you can go for free or damn close to it
^Entirely False, you can make really good money in Immigration, especially on a corporate scale... and there is big money in the start up world in immigration. Go for it, Vandy/Notre dame are good options

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:50 pm

MadamSecretary wrote:
UVA2B wrote:

Since most of that work is generally lower paid and usually non-profit focused, you should be looking for schools in the geographic region you want to practice where you can go for free or damn close to it
^Entirely False, you can make really good money in Immigration, especially on a corporate scale... and there is big money in the start up world in immigration. Go for it, Vandy/Notre dame are good options
Ok, well first, we covered the part about corporate scale immigration work above. Second, I intentionally used words like most and generally because there are always exceptions to rules on the smaller scale immigration law front. But most attorneys doing refugee and asylum types of immigration are lower paid, and usually in the non-profit world. I have no idea how you think any of that is entirely false.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

pepperdinelaw

New

Post by pepperdinelaw » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:25 pm

mod edit: don't advertise your law school.

But I am going to leave up the fact that it was Pepperdine so posters can deservedly ridicule you.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:35 pm

pepperdinelaw wrote:@tzav Hi there. Congrats on your academic success thus far! We encourage you to visit our site to learn more about experiential learning opportunities at Pepperdine Law. http://law.pepperdine.edu/experiential-learning/
The Global Justice and Advocacy Programs would allow you to tailor an education for a career in Immigration Law.
No.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:21 pm

pepperdinelaw wrote:mod edit: don't advertise your law school.

But I am going to leave up the fact that it was Pepperdine so posters can deservedly ridicule you.
Wow.

Andrewfromla818

New

Most social Law Schools

Post by Andrewfromla818 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:44 pm

Does any know what are the best law schools with the most fun, best social life and least stressful.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Andrewfromla818

New

Most social Law Schools

Post by Andrewfromla818 » Wed Jun 07, 2017 8:45 pm

Does any know what are the best law schools with the most fun, best social life and least stressful.

NewUser_2017

New

Post by NewUser_2017 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:49 pm

Andrewfromla818 wrote:Does any know what are the best law schools with the most fun, best social life and least stressful.
Whittier

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:05 pm

NewUser_2017 wrote:
Andrewfromla818 wrote:Does any know what are the best law schools with the most fun, best social life and least stressful.
Whittier
Law school is very relaxing when there's no pressure to get a job because you know you aren't getting one anyways :lol:

NewUser_2017

New

Post by NewUser_2017 » Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:13 pm

chargers21 wrote:
NewUser_2017 wrote:
Whittier
Law school is very relaxing when there's no pressure to get a job because you know you aren't getting one anyways :lol:
This dude is looking for the 'least stressful' law school :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

BlendedUnicorn

Platinum

Post by BlendedUnicorn » Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:52 pm

Law school is a joke if you only care about passing. If you want the least stressful law school experience, go to a school where you can still get a great outcome from the bottom of the curve. Yes, most of your classmates will be neurotic gunners who are stressed about everything, but as long as you keep your eyes on the barely passing ball, you'll be fine.

Litt1tUp

Bronze

Post by Litt1tUp » Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:33 am

tzav wrote:Hey guys! I would love any input anyone has about good schools for immigration law. My GPA is a 3.7 and LSAT is 167: right now I'm looking at schools like Notre Dame, Cornell, Vanderbilt, and Pepperdine. Does anyone have any other schools they would suggest? Thank you!!
UCLA in my opinion would be a good fit! LA is a hotspot for immigration issues and opportunities. You and I have closely identical numbers and this cycle I received a good package to UCLA so if you do want to work for nonprofits/clinics after, the debt would be more of a small hill than a mountain.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”