GW vs UF Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
grillcheeseplz

New

GW vs UF

Post by grillcheeseplz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:07 pm

Have $34,000 per year from GW no stips but waiting on reconsideration/negotiation
Have 65% tuition (changes along with tuition change each year to match percentage) from UF (in-state tuition) no stips

If my ultimate goal is in International law and government work, is it worth it to pay the extra 18k in tuition to go to GW for the location and rank.

I have a poor GPA (sub 3) so my prospects realistically aren't going to get much better unless I'm paying sticker to go to GT or up which doesn't seem practical to me.

Everything for me is going to be financed by loans but in the end I have a lot of family support I will never be in a situation to be crippled by debt but I'd rather not have to put that burden on someone else if that makes sense. But with that in mind is it dumb to stay at UF to save money or is it dumb to spend the money to go to GW for the location.

I'm okay working in Florida or DC area.

VeiledProtectorate

New

Re: GW vs UF

Post by VeiledProtectorate » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:13 pm

grillcheeseplz wrote:Have $34,000 per year from GW no stips but waiting on reconsideration/negotiation
Have 65% tuition (changes along with tuition change each year to match percentage) from UF (in-state tuition) no stips

If my ultimate goal is in International law and government work, is it worth it to pay the extra 18k in tuition to go to GW for the location and rank.

I have a poor GPA (sub 3) so my prospects realistically aren't going to get much better unless I'm paying sticker to go to GT or up which doesn't seem practical to me.

Everything for me is going to be financed by loans but in the end I have a lot of family support I will never be in a situation to be crippled by debt but I'd rather not have to put that burden on someone else if that makes sense. But with that in mind is it dumb to stay at UF to save money or is it dumb to spend the money to go to GW for the location.

What did you get on the LSAT?

grillcheeseplz

New

Post by grillcheeseplz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:15 pm

VeiledProtectorate wrote:
grillcheeseplz wrote:Have $34,000 per year from GW no stips but waiting on reconsideration/negotiation

What did you get on the LSAT?

grillcheeseplz

New

Post by grillcheeseplz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:17 pm

As a side note I understand that I shouldn't bank on it but I'd try to transfer up from either school although I would be just as happy to graduate from either

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:27 pm

Can you be more specific about your goals being international law and government work? Are you dreaming of working in the State Department, or is it more corporate transactional on the international level? Or would you also be happy working on the state and local level of government or doing immigration law at a smaller law firm or something like that?

My short, not fully formed advice without knowing more, is that UF is a better choice here as long as you're not dead set on something like the State Department or doing Biglaw firm types of work. If you have modest goals of working in Florida doing less competitive government work or smaller firm type of work, a 65% tuition discount wouldn't leave you in insurmountable debt for UF. GW is too expensive for any of these goals in my opinion.

Ideally you will be able to increase the tuition discount at UF, making it even more clearly the best option, and go there with modest goals. But if you have loftier goals, then my advice will shift to neither are good for your goals, so you should reconsider the schools or reconsider your goals.

ETA: And yeah it's fine if you theoretically think you would try to transfer, but never plan on it, and really don't even spend much time thinking it'll even be a possibility.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:35 pm

Yeah, please be more specific about those goals. State Department ain't happening from either of these schools, so if that's your objective, you need a backup plan.

grillcheeseplz

New

Post by grillcheeseplz » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:40 pm

UVA2B wrote:Can you be more specific about your goals being international law and government work? Are you dreaming of working in the State Department, or is it more corporate transactional on the international level? Or would you also be happy working on the state and local level of government or doing immigration law at a smaller law firm or something like that?

My short, not fully formed advice without knowing more, is that UF is a better choice here as long as you're not dead set on something like the State Department or doing Biglaw firm types of work. If you have modest goals of working in Florida doing less competitive government work or smaller firm type of work, a 65% tuition discount wouldn't leave you in insurmountable debt for UF. GW is too expensive for any of these goals in my opinion.

Ideally you will be able to increase the tuition discount at UF, making it even more clearly the best option, and go there with modest goals. But if you have loftier goals, then my advice will shift to neither are good for your goals, so you should reconsider the schools or reconsider your goals.

ETA: And yeah it's fine if you theoretically think you would try to transfer, but never plan on it, and really don't even spend much time thinking it'll even be a possibility.
I think I'll end up at UF as well and I'll be okay with the state and local government jobs that are less competitive. I appreciate the advice I was just contemplating whether I should drop the next $1000 for the seat deposit.

screwtapeletters

New

Post by screwtapeletters » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:43 pm

retake
no more 2-yr 3-take bans from LSAC. Good news for prospective applicants (and am jealous).

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:48 pm

screwtapeletters wrote:retake
no more 2-yr 3-take bans from LSAC. Good news for prospective applicants (and am jealous).
I mean sure, a retake can always potentially give better options, but given the OP is comfortable with Florida modest outcomes and is already above the LSAT 75th, I doubt that'll improve scholarships at a place like UF considering the sub-3.0 GPA much.

Retake is always potentially a good choice, but as of right now the goals, costs, and options align pretty well with what the OP can realistically expect.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”