GT v NYU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

GT v NYU

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed May 31, 2017 2:53 pm

Hello - Basically long story short

In today at NYU
Been in at GT and named to a scholar program there as well - dont have my finaid yet as i have special circumstances, but been told that should be sizeable (at minimum over 25K a year without need based aid factored in)
GT for me is a good fit - im AA, DC has a plethora of AA lawyers, and their BLSA does a fantastic job or using their network and ensuring that their members get quality employment. Had a close close friend visit, and i have two mentors that attended ( one is clerking, and one at a V20) - I know Gt employment numbers arent liked by this sub, but i have no issue with them tbh, and they told me the truth behind the numbers. I would be more than excited to attend.

NYU - I know somethings about the school, culture and feel - but not enough. Basically if GT gives me 75K to 180K ( the range that im assuming), is NYU still better value?

Thanks!

theembigg

New

Re: GT v NYU

Post by theembigg » Wed May 31, 2017 3:22 pm

I'm still WL at NYU and in at GULC with $50k-60k in merit scholarship, and I'd be conflicted about which to attend if I'm let off the NYU WL at sticker-price, so this is a good thought exercise! If you're looking to go Big Law, and know you want to work in NYC, NYU has the edge of course. But GULC has the edge in gov't positions and regulatory work based in DC. I'd say follow the $$$ to GULC unless you're set on Big Law in NYC. That's serious money.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed May 31, 2017 3:31 pm

theembigg wrote:I'm still WL at NYU and in at GULC with $50k-60k in merit scholarship, and I'd be conflicted about which to attend if I'm let off the NYU WL at sticker-price, so this is a good thought exercise! If you're looking to go Big Law, and know you want to work in NYC, NYU has the edge of course. But GULC has the edge in gov't positions and regulatory work based in DC. I'd say follow the $$$ to GULC unless you're set on Big Law in NYC. That's serious money.
I want to do BigLaw, but in California. I picked GT as they have the presence to do that ( not saying its common but has been done), but NYU places decently in CA as well. So I'm just really conflicted.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:05 pm

Hi-So - ArshavinFan wrote:
theembigg wrote:I'm still WL at NYU and in at GULC with $50k-60k in merit scholarship, and I'd be conflicted about which to attend if I'm let off the NYU WL at sticker-price, so this is a good thought exercise! If you're looking to go Big Law, and know you want to work in NYC, NYU has the edge of course. But GULC has the edge in gov't positions and regulatory work based in DC. I'd say follow the $$$ to GULC unless you're set on Big Law in NYC. That's serious money.
I want to do BigLaw, but in California. I picked GT as they have the presence to do that ( not saying its common but has been done), but NYU places decently in CA as well. So I'm just really conflicted.
NYU at sticker?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:39 pm

barkschool wrote:
NYU at sticker?
Ehh i'll have need based aid. but close to sticke. Maybe 10-20k need based based off GT numbers. I've been told that no law school in the world is worth sticker though

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:48 pm

barkschool wrote:
NYU at sticker?
Ehh i'll have need based aid. but close to sticke. Maybe 10-20k need based based off GT numbers. I've been told that no law school in the world is worth sticker though
What is your actual COA at repayment at GULC?

Big Dog

Silver

Post by Big Dog » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:29 pm

want to do BigLaw, but in California.
Did you not apply to the California schools? With numbers good enough for NYU, UCLA and USC would be throwing money at you. Decent chance at Boalt as well.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:34 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Did you not apply to the California schools? With numbers good enough for NYU, UCLA and USC would be throwing money at you. Decent chance at Boalt as well.
Boalt was out of question. I'm a splitter. Didnt have money to waste for applications either. Every school i applied to gave me a fee waiver
UCLA and USC were no's. I only wanted T6 tbh. Their placement isnt good enough, and I wanted to open my to the possibility that I get something bigger and better at a top school, then i would take it. plus URM employment at NYU/GULC ( in terms of prestige and rate) is higher at GULC NYU than USC/UCLA, and i wasnt willing to risk that for ANY monetary amount.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:37 pm

Big Dog wrote:
Boalt was out of question. I'm a splitter. Didnt have money to waste for applications either. Every school i applied to gave me a fee waiver
UCLA and USC were no's. I only wanted T6 tbh. Their placement isnt good enough, and I wanted to open my to the possibility that I get something bigger and better at a top school, then i would take it. plus URM employment at NYU/GULC ( in terms of prestige and rate) is higher at GULC NYU than USC/UCLA, and i wasnt willing to risk that for ANY monetary amount.
Money spent on applications aren't "wasted" dollars. But if you only want a T6, then why did you need to make this thread?

UCLA is a peer school of Georgetown's and will offer you a better chance of biglaw opportunity. But you should go to NYU (or retake the LSAT) if you've already limited yourself to T6 schools only.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 12:50 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Big Dog wrote:

I made the thread because i understand that I'm not the expert on matters such as this. So if my desires/expectations are unreasonable/incorrect, somebody on this forum could correct and help me out I'm not obsessed with prestige at all. However, on this sub, i constantly read that T6 schools are a cut above

UCLA is a peer school of Georgetown's and will offer you a better chance of biglaw opportunity.
-I havent seen anybody else argue this, so this is pretty surprsing in my eyes - im referring to the better chance of biglaw aspect

But you should go to NYU (or retake the LSAT) if you've already limited yourself to T6 schools only.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:06 pm

I made the thread because i understand that I'm not the expert on matters such as this. So if my desires/expectations are unreasonable/incorrect, somebody on this forum could correct and help me out I'm not obsessed with prestige at all. However, on this sub, i constantly read that T6 schools are a cut above

UCLA is a peer school of Georgetown's and will offer you a better chance of biglaw opportunity.
-I havent seen anybody else argue this, so this is pretty surprsing in my eyes - im referring to the better chance of biglaw aspect

But you should go to NYU (or retake the LSAT) if you've already limited yourself to T6 schools only.
I should've been clearer.

Your posts are contradictory. You reference an understanding that the T6 is a cut above the rest of the T13. This is true. And yet you still applied to and would settle for GULC's biglaw numbers, which lag behind the rest of the T13, and when compared to UCLA, lag behind them with respect to students achieving your desired outcome--CA biglaw.

UCLA and Georgetown are peer schools with similar employment outcomes. You wanting CA biglaw tips the scales quite favorably toward UCLA. Regardless, though, you didn't apply. So this is all moot.

You also didn't apply to the rest of the T13 because their placement (relative to the T6 and the true GULC placement power) weren't good enough , so your options are really between NYU and GULC.

Because you don't know (1) how much aid you will get from NYU; and (2) how much aid you'll actually receive from GULC, this question is virtually impossible to answer. I would wait until you receive those numbers. You'll get much better advice
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 10:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hi-So - ArshavinFan

Bronze

Post by Hi-So - ArshavinFan » Wed Jun 07, 2017 1:08 pm

runinthefront wrote:

Your posts are contradictory. You reference an understanding that the T6 is a cut above the rest of the T13. This is true. And yet you still applied to and would settle for GULC's biglaw numbers, which lag behind the rest of the T13, and when compared to UCLA, lag behind them with respect to students achieving your desired outcome--CA biglaw.

UCLA and Georgetown are peer schools with similar employment outcomes. You wanting CA biglaw tips the scales quite favorably toward UCLA. Regardless, though, you didn't apply. So this is all moot.

You also didn't apply to the rest of the T13, so your options are really between NYU and GULC.

Because you don't know (1) how much aid you will get from NYU; and (2) how much aid you'll actually receive from GULC, this question is virtually impossible to answer.
I pmed you

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Wed Jun 07, 2017 2:23 pm

You like Arshavin. This leads me to believe you should deliberate carefully, and then do the opposite of what you decide makes most sense.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

conker

Bronze

Post by conker » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:29 am

OP, ESL?

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Tue Jun 27, 2017 10:44 am

runinthefront wrote:

You also didn't apply to the rest of the T13 because their placement (relative to the T6 and the true GULC placement power) weren't good enough , so your options are really between NYU and GULC.

Because you don't know (1) how much aid you will get from NYU; and (2) how much aid you'll actually receive from GULC, this question is virtually impossible to answer. I would wait until you receive those numbers. You'll get much better advice
The GULC/UCLA comparison is only relevant as applied to California jobs. I agree that GULC doesn't make sense over UCLA absent much better $$$ (which you shouldn't get, since UCLA has a higher incentive to give money) if your ultimate goal is CA biglaw. Other than that though, the bolded statement is pure TLS-bashing. UCLA and Georgetown are not peer schools. UCLA consistently places 8-10% less people in biglaw than Georgetown, and that's not even accounting for clerkships or for GULC's much better PI placement.

That being said, OP, if you can't wait and re-apply, I would just go to GULC. I would not do NYU at sticker or quasi-sticker, and $75k+ from GULC starts making it worthwile. Personally, I wouldn't go to law school at all unless I had at least $100k from GULC, but to each their own.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”