Berkeley $ or GULC $$$ - Please help! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
greys4ever

New

Berkeley $ or GULC $$$ - Please help!

Post by greys4ever » Sat May 27, 2017 8:49 am

Hi guys, I just was offered 25k a year at Berkeley this week. Or I have a full ride to GULC with their public interest scholarship (includes a faculty mentor, alumni mentor, special clinical privileges, etc)

My goals are immigration/refugee law. I'm definitely going into public interest so debt is a bit scary. But the better ranking of Berkeley is appealing. I also went to undergrad at Cal so I know I can be happy there. I'm super torn.

I would be super appreciative of any opinions. Thanks!

Julius

New

Re: Berkeley $ or GULC $$$ - Please help!

Post by Julius » Sat May 27, 2017 10:58 am

greys4ever wrote:Hi guys, I just was offered 25k a year at Berkeley this week. Or I have a full ride to GULC with their public interest scholarship (includes a faculty mentor, alumni mentor, special clinical privileges, etc)

My goals are immigration/refugee law. I'm definitely going into public interest so debt is a bit scary. But the better ranking of Berkeley is appealing. I also went to undergrad at Cal so I know I can be happy there. I'm super torn.

Where do you want to practice?

Immigration/refugee law isn't that pedigree sensitive -- keeping debt down would be my first inclination. I also think people tend to underestimate the "prestige" or signaling that comes along with a specialized full ride. I think the full ride is more impressive from the PI hiring point of view than a standard Berkeley admission.

ball is life

New

Post by ball is life » Sat May 27, 2017 11:05 am

greys4ever wrote:Hi guys, I just was offered 25k a year at Berkeley this week. Or I have a full ride to GULC with their public interest scholarship (includes a faculty mentor, alumni mentor, special clinical privileges, etc)

If you're definitely doing PI Georgetown seems like the better bet because you will have (1) less debt (2) a specific scholarship in public interest that employers may like and (3) the opportunity to take the more PI oriented curriculum B which PI employers may also like. Georgetown also has a career service center specifically for public interest which I do not think Berkeley has.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat May 27, 2017 1:32 pm

I'd go with GULC hands down. Having no debt (or only debt from living expenses) is going to lift a lot of stress off your shoulders. Also, GULC is a fantastic school. I know GULC gets beaten up on TLS quite a bit for its lower BL+FC score, but that's because most of TLS is interested in BL+FC or at least buys into that defining prestigious legal outcomes. GULC is truly one of the best law schools in the nation that you can attend, and you'll have a shot at some fantastic legal opportunities there. Congratulations!

jphiggo

Bronze

Post by jphiggo » Sat May 27, 2017 1:35 pm

What is your cost of living at both locations?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:13 pm

Georgetown

greys4ever

New

Post by greys4ever » Sun May 28, 2017 10:11 pm

Julius wrote:

Where do you want to practice?

Immigration/refugee law isn't that pedigree sensitive -- keeping debt down would be my first inclination. I also think people tend to underestimate the "prestige" or signaling that comes along with a specialized full ride. I think the full ride is more impressive from the PI hiring point of view than a standard Berkeley admission.
Eventually I want to get back to California. I'm fine if that takes a year after graduation but I wouldn't want to stay east coast much longer than that.

barkschool

Silver

Post by barkschool » Tue Jun 06, 2017 3:09 pm

usn26 wrote:Georgetown
debt free debt free debt free

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”