Georgetown International Business Law and Economics LLM Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
emschmitt3

New

Georgetown International Business Law and Economics LLM

Post by emschmitt3 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:10 pm

Hello, all. Rising 3L, thinking of applying to Georgetown's International Business Law and Economics LLM program for August 2018. Was wondering if anyone knows anything about the program or anyone that has graduated from it? I go to Lewis & Clark in PDX, OR, interested in the program to gain a larger knowledge base of international business law and contacts in D.C. since there is not a large international business law market in OR.

Any comparable programs anyone recommends?

cavalier1138

Re: Georgetown International Business Law and Economics LLM

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 24, 2017 4:20 pm

Unless this has changed significantly in the past year, non-tax LLMs aren't going to help you get jobs. Unfortunately, you're getting a JD from a school that doesn't really set you up for a career in international business law, especially in DC. Nothing wrong with trying to network at this point (unless you don't have a job lined up yet, in which case, you should focus on more realistic networking opportunities in the PNW), but an LLM isn't going to be helpful.

emschmitt3

New

Post by emschmitt3 » Wed May 24, 2017 7:42 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Unless this has changed significantly in the past year, non-tax LLMs aren't going to help you get jobs. Unfortunately, you're getting a JD from a school that doesn't really set you up for a career in international business law, especially in DC. Nothing wrong with trying to network at this point (unless you don't have a job lined up yet, in which case, you should focus on more realistic networking opportunities in the PNW), but an LLM isn't going to be helpful.
With all due respect, I don't agree with your analysis. I am considering an LLM in DC specifically after speaking with different firms about their hiring practices and preferences, and received a lot of feedback that an LLM from Georgetown would make me a more competitive applicant for international business law positions than I would be after graduating with a JD, and I would have more opportunities to network with D.C. firms during my studied.

However, that aside, I specifically asked if anyone had attended Georgetown's LLM program or any comperable programs. I didn't ask for your input on my future job prospects or networking advice, and your unsolicited comments are not appreciated.

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed May 24, 2017 7:49 pm

emschmitt3 wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:Unless this has changed significantly in the past year, non-tax LLMs aren't going to help you get jobs. Unfortunately, you're getting a JD from a school that doesn't really set you up for a career in international business law, especially in DC. Nothing wrong with trying to network at this point (unless you don't have a job lined up yet, in which case, you should focus on more realistic networking opportunities in the PNW), but an LLM isn't going to be helpful.
With all due respect, I don't agree with your analysis. I am considering an LLM in DC specifically after speaking with different firms about their hiring practices and preferences, and received a lot of feedback that an LLM from Georgetown would make me a more competitive applicant for international business law positions than I would be after graduating with a JD, and I would have more opportunities to network with D.C. firms during my studied.

However, that aside, I specifically asked if anyone had attended Georgetown's LLM program or any comperable programs. I didn't ask for your input on my future job prospects or networking advice, and your unsolicited comments are not appreciated.
:roll:

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 24, 2017 9:27 pm

emschmitt3 wrote:

Please name the firms that told you to get this specific LLM.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

haus

Gold

Post by haus » Wed May 24, 2017 9:31 pm

An old TLS favorite for LLM questions...

nealric

Post by nealric » Thu May 25, 2017 1:37 pm

emschmitt3 wrote:

Someone is blowing smoke up your behind. Getting a non-tax LLM is akin to buying a giant stamp that says "Sucker" and stamping it in big red ink on every resume you send out.

I have both a J.D. and a tax LLM from Georgetown.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”