GULC vs. Cornell Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lula43

Bronze

GULC vs. Cornell

Post by lula43 » Mon May 22, 2017 7:57 pm

I have done extensive research and am still having a very difficult time making a decision. I would love to hear some unbiased insights about these two schools. I am committed to PI and would love to do an EJF or Skadden, clerk, etc. COA is about the same and no longer a factor in my decision.

I've listed out pros and cons and still don't know which school to choose. Please feel free to share any points you may have!

Thanks in advance :D

ball is life

New

Re: GULC vs. Cornell

Post by ball is life » Mon May 22, 2017 8:06 pm

lula43 wrote:I have done extensive research and am still having a very difficult time making a decision. I would love to hear some unbiased insights about these two schools. I am committed to PI and would love to do an EJF or Skadden, clerk, etc. COA is about the same and no longer a factor in my decision.

I've listed out pros and cons and still don't know which school to choose. Please feel free to share any points you may have!

If COAs are comparable then go to cornell, seems to have better outcomes for everything you want

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Mon May 22, 2017 8:30 pm

I'd choose Cornell here, although I should provide the disclaimer that I'll most likely be heading to Cornell this fall as a 1L.

Georgetown has better public interest numbers, Cornell has better overall employment numbers, and they have similar federal clerkship numbers. I'd choose Cornell because I think the employment gap between the two is pretty significant. If you were choosing between, say, NYU and Columbia for public interest, then it would be reasonable to choose NYU despite slightly lower employment numbers, but the difference in employment between Cornell and Georgetown is like three times as much, according to lawschooltransparency.

Ultimately, you want to be employed, and I think you'll be able to carve your own path at Cornell just fine.

Also, didn't you do one of these already? Has anything changed since then?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:09 pm

Cornell is better than GULC for basically everything. I also hope that COA not being a factor in your decision doesn't mean that you're just ignoring debt and LRAPs because you've resigned yourself to being in a lot of debt...

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Mon May 22, 2017 9:22 pm

If you can't articulate a specific thing you are dead-set on and why Georgetown is better for it, Cornell is the obvious choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Tue May 23, 2017 2:12 pm

Malarkey wrote:Also, didn't you do one of these already? Has anything changed since then?
Last time, Cornell cost 50K more, and I recommended GULC.

Since COA are the same now, I guess I'd recommend Cornell, if only because you seem focused on prestigious PI, you'll likely have the same odds gunning for that from either school, and Cornell would have a greater safety net for general legal employment if that doesn't work out. But if you specifically want to work in DC, I'd probably choose GULC.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 23, 2017 3:25 pm

Cornell is the better school.

Londonbear

Bronze

Post by Londonbear » Tue May 23, 2017 3:35 pm

lula43 wrote:I have done extensive research and am still having a very difficult time making a decision. I would love to hear some unbiased insights about these two schools. I am committed to PI and would love to do an EJF or Skadden, clerk, etc. COA is about the same and no longer a factor in my decision.

If you're committed to PI, you can see if you get into GULC's PILS program which will cover some of the tuition. If costs are the same, I'd recommend Cornell.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”