Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Npret

Gold

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs army of waitlists

Post by Npret » Sat May 20, 2017 3:07 pm

stego wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Being late to the GTown interview certainly killed your chances.

Why did you apply to Alabama if you have no interest in going or living there?
The Alabama app is a holdover from my first cycle, when I applied wildly to a list of schools that doesn't make sense. I think the free iTunes credit the school offers helped lure me into applying.

At the time I was living in Wisconsin but at a previous job, back during the brief time in my life when I had good jobs, I had a customer in Alabama and had made a couple of business trips to Birmingham. I also had two friends from undergrad who were in Birmingham for seminary. (They have since recently moved to Africa to be missionaries.) I had also spent a weekend in Tuscaloosa back in like 2010 I think helping clean up after that tornado they had.

Alabama paid to fly me for a campus visit on short notice when they accepted my app. I was impressed with how nice they were and how much they wanted me to come there.

Alabama is pretty. I have nothing against the place or the idea of living there for a while. I just have no family there or any reason to stay there forever.
You don't think you will have trouble finding jobs without ties? I don't know how important ties are in Alabama PI but it seems to overall be an insular state.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 3:14 pm

For the record I never applied to WUSTL because Alabama was already throwing money at me and because I don't want to live in St. Louis. Considered applying there this year but decided against it.

I kind of screwed up the Cornell app a little bit. They sent me an interview request in February and then rejected me a couple weeks later when I hadn't responded to it yet.

Michigan also waitlisted me in February which seemed strangely early for that kind of decision.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Sat May 20, 2017 3:19 pm

stego wrote:For the record I never applied to WUSTL because Alabama was already throwing money at me and because I don't want to live in St. Louis. Considered applying there this year but decided against it.

I kind of screwed up the Cornell app a little bit. They sent me an interview request in February and then rejected me a couple weeks later when I hadn't responded to it yet.

Michigan also waitlisted me in February which seemed strangely early for that kind of decision.
You don't even want to stay in Alabama, you're content with being there for a few years but it's going to be exceptionally hard for you not to be seen as a flight risk in an incredibly insular market, and Alabama's degree won't travel very far. WUSTL would have traveled at least to states in the midwest and has some (debated) national reach. You would have just had to be living in St. Louis for three years. So that was foolish.

You can't just wait a few weeks to respond to an interview request. It sounds to me like your issue with some of your apps is a lack of follow through or ambition, and it's coming through in the applications somewhere where the schools don't want to take the chance on you. If you're taking to long to respond or not particularly dedicated you're the kind of stats that they yield protect with and you made it easy for them to decide you'd be the lucky victim of YP.

If you want to go to Alabama, go, but I don't think anyone on this board is going to encourage it or tell you it's a good idea.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 20, 2017 3:23 pm

Would you consider reapplying?
If not, would you consider pushing one or more of the waitlists that you're on?'

Even if law school isn't going to cost you anything, if you can't get a job I don't think it's worth it.

Alabama is such a poor state I'm not sure how much PI work is even available there. Those jobs might be competitive and, as we've said, you are going to be seen as a huge flight risk. Maybe you can overcome it but I'm not sure.

Have you been able to research the type of job you want?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 3:30 pm

This claim that Alabama is an incredibly insular state, what is it based on? I have heard things on this board about, say, New Mexico or Hawaii, but I don't know if I've heard this about Alabama.

Central Alabama is relatively close to Atlanta, Nashville, or Memphis, but Birmingham itself isn't that big. Is that it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Sat May 20, 2017 3:35 pm

stego wrote:This claim that Alabama is an incredibly insular state, what is it based on? I have heard things on this board about, say, New Mexico or Hawaii, but I don't know if I've heard this about Alabama.

Central Alabama is relatively close to Atlanta, Nashville, or Memphis, but Birmingham itself isn't that big. Is that it?
The South looks out for their own. They want people who have lived there and grown up. I'm in my home market in a moderately insular market and in casual networking I was asked where I went to high school. You'll run into that in the South. Sure you've got Atlanta, Nashville and Memphis but they have their own regional schools there you have to compete with and UVA and Duke both feed South. It's not that it isn't big, although that applies, it's that they don't take "outsiders." They want people who are going to settle down and grow deep roots and if you have no strong ties or roots it's an uphill battle for you to get a job. If you ever decide to leave the South it's very difficult with a degree from Alabama.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 4:09 pm

Npret wrote:Would you consider reapplying?
If not, would you consider pushing one or more of the waitlists that you're on?'

Even if law school isn't going to cost you anything, if you can't get a job I don't think it's worth it.

Alabama is such a poor state I'm not sure how much PI work is even available there. Those jobs might be competitive and, as we've said, you are going to be seen as a huge flight risk. Maybe you can overcome it but I'm not sure.

Have you been able to research the type of job you want?
I probably won't reapply. Having gone through this 3 times and putting my life on hold I don't think I have another cycle in me. Maybe to pushing on one of the waitlists but if there's no money for people on the waitlist it's probably a waste of time.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 20, 2017 4:20 pm

I thought you had applied twice.
Anyway, everything I've ever heard about Alabama is how insular it is but that has all been "biglaw" type jobs not PI. I would seriously look into the employment you want and see how likely it might be. Maybe the Alabama career services can help you.
I don't see an Alabama degree being portable but maybe you will want to stay.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Npret wrote:I thought you had applied twice.
Anyway, everything I've ever heard about Alabama is how insular it is but that has all been "biglaw" type jobs not PI. I would seriously look into the employment you want and see how likely it might be. Maybe the Alabama career services can help you.
I don't see an Alabama degree being portable but maybe you will want to stay.
No, 3 times. The first time was for the fall 2015 entering class, but I didn't apply to any T13s that year except for Duke, which has waitlisted me 3 times now.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Toni V

Bronze

Post by Toni V » Sat May 20, 2017 5:33 pm

Before accepting to Alabama, ED to a school in the top half of the t14. An ED establishes that you REALLY want to go to their school. The con is that it could make negotiating a low tuition somewhat more challenging, but not always.
Last edited by Toni V on Sat May 20, 2017 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 5:43 pm

Toni V wrote:Before accepting to Alabama, ED to a school in the top half of the t14. The con is that it could make negotiating a low tuition somewhat more challenging, but not always.
Yeah, I'm definitely not doing this. I'm not going to sit out another year and risk paying sticker at a school that might not let me in anyways.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Sat May 20, 2017 5:47 pm

stego wrote:
Toni V wrote:Before accepting to Alabama, ED to a school in the top half of the t14. The con is that it could make negotiating a low tuition somewhat more challenging, but not always.
Yeah, I'm definitely not doing this. I'm not going to sit out another year and risk paying sticker at a school that might not let me in anyways.
You should ask all the T13s that rejected you to reconsider and definitely call or skype or visit some of the ones who waitlisted you if you're serious about getting in.

I don't understand why you just don't go to the strongest regional school (you can get into) in whatever state/city you're from and/or have ties to. Going to Alabama would be a p dumb move if you're from FL and could just go to FSU/UF for free or you're from Tennessee and could get into UT and go for free
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 20, 2017 7:03 pm

runinthefront wrote:
stego wrote:
You should ask all the T13s that rejected you to reconsider and definitely call or skype or visit some of the ones who waitlisted you if you're serious about getting in.

I don't understand why you just don't go to the strongest regional school (you can get into) in whatever state/city you're from and/or have ties to. Going to Alabama would be a p dumb move if you're from FL and could just go to FSU/UF for free or you're from Tennessee and could get into UT and go for free
It actually might not be too late to apply to those schools with these numbers.
It almost sounds like Alabama is the path of least resistance and not what you really want.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat May 20, 2017 7:30 pm

Similar GPA and a few points lower on the LSAT here. You need to reapply with help from someone. I have been underemployed, even wrote my PS about it. Check out my cycle, you should be doing at least as good as me. Actually, you should be killing my cycle.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 7:41 pm

Npret wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
stego wrote:

It actually might not be too late to apply to those schools with these numbers.
It almost sounds like Alabama is the path of least resistance and not what you really want.
Well, I'm from New Hampshire.

I have applied in the past to some regional schools in areas where I have ties (not just New England). The first cycle (before I discovered TLS) I got full rides to UNH, Vermont, and Northeastern. Also to a couple other places. TLS told me I could do better.

I applied to BU last year but kind of lost interest in the Boston schools after they waitlisted me.

HarveySpecterr

New

Post by HarveySpecterr » Sat May 20, 2017 7:52 pm

stego wrote:Does anyone ever actually get off a waitlist? When if at all does that happen?

3.93, 171, interested in PI and clerking

Full ride + stipend at Alabama
Out at Harvard, Chicago, and Cornell
Waitlisted at NYU, Columbia, Penn, UVA, Duke, Northwestern, and Michigan

Got into Texas last year but decided I didn't want to go to Texas for what they were offering and didn't reapply
Also got rejected at Georgetown and waitlisted at one of the Boston schools (BC or BU, I forget which) last year and didn't reapply

Retook the LSAT in December, scored 3 points higher, applied in January, now regretting wasting my time and money

I don't know why this is a choosing thread since I don't really have a choice. I'm just bitter I guess

Sitting out a cycle is not really an option at this point, I did that twice already.
I bet it's your personal statement. Have you asked anyone to read it and give feedback? (Send it my way if you like).

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 20, 2017 7:58 pm

chargers21 wrote:Similar GPA and a few points lower on the LSAT here. You need to reapply with help from someone. I have been underemployed, even wrote my PS about it. Check out my cycle, you should be doing at least as good as me. Actually, you should be killing my cycle.
Congrats on a great outcome! Duke with a nice scholly 8)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat May 20, 2017 8:17 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat May 20, 2017 11:19 pm

stego wrote: Well, I'm from New Hampshire.

I have applied in the past to some regional schools in areas where I have ties (not just New England). The first cycle (before I discovered TLS) I got full rides to UNH, Vermont, and Northeastern. Also to a couple other places. TLS told me I could do better.

I applied to BU last year but kind of lost interest in the Boston schools after they waitlisted me.
Yikes. I think TLS gives good advice for the most part, but there's way too much confirmation bias on here and inability to look at nuances. I've known people IRL who have taken the TLS 'retake and reapply' advice and gotten royally fucked over, and refuse to come on here anymore. This is definitely a double-edged sword.

I'm shocked at how you underperformed your numbers. I'm going to assume it was something glaring in either your letters of recommendation or your personal statement. Maybe have someone look over your PS to get a fresh perspective. Also, how many schools and which ones did you apply to this last cycle? If there's still time, try throwing some apps out to your home region schools.

Also, try asking Alabama about whether they can get you in contact with alumni who were able to work in other regions later down the line. I know TLS acts like if it's not a top ten, you're shit out of luck for ever working elsewhere, but I've seen people from schools in the 20s-30s lateral to NYC firms, etc. Obviously, this is anecdotal and I'm sure they were exceptional at their firms, etc.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sat May 20, 2017 11:31 pm

tinyvessels wrote:

Yikes. I think TLS gives good advice for the most part, but there's way too much confirmation bias on here and inability to look at nuances. I've known people IRL who have taken the TLS 'retake and reapply' advice and gotten royally fucked over, and refuse to come on here anymore. This is definitely a double-edged sword.

I'm shocked at how you underperformed your numbers. I'm going to assume it was something glaring in either your letters of recommendation or your personal statement. Maybe have someone look over your PS to get a fresh perspective. Also, how many schools and which ones did you apply to this last cycle? If there's still time, try throwing some apps out to your home region schools.

Also, try asking Alabama about whether they can get you in contact with alumni who were able to work in other regions later down the line. I know TLS acts like if it's not a top ten, you're shit out of luck for ever working elsewhere, but I've seen people from schools in the 20s-30s lateral to NYC firms, etc. Obviously, this is anecdotal and I'm sure they were exceptional at their firms, etc.
Ew. At least 2 bits of bad/anecdotal mumblings that bash on TLS in there. OP, reapply with an even average app like I had, and you'll do great. If you're curious about my app at all or need help, I will personally help you out (although I'm far from a professional or the best TLS has to offer) just so that you can have the great options that your numbers point towards

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat May 20, 2017 11:49 pm

chargers21 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:

Ew. At least 2 bits of bad/anecdotal mumblings that bash on TLS in there. OP, reapply with an even average app like I had, and you'll do great. If you're curious about my app at all or need help, I will personally help you out (although I'm far from a professional or the best TLS has to offer) just so that you can have the great options that your numbers point towards
I literally stated right before my 'anecdotal mumblings,' that 'TLS gives good advice for the most part.'

Reading is fundamental.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 21, 2017 12:02 am

I don't think the TLS advice is the problem. OP didn't apply to places like WUSTL/ BU/BC where OP could have had a decent shot at money- assuming nothing else is wrong.

The applications seem from to be haphazard and OP applied to Alabama on a whim because of iTunes card. No offense meant OP.

Missing interview requests (Cornell) and being late for an interview (Georgetown) didn't help. I'm not sure OPnhad a coherent story to sell themselves. Also applying in January had to hurt.

I understand and sympathize with OP but it's hard to say OP getting a stipend and full ride at Alabama is worse than going to UNH. Also OP should have more options and we can't figure out why not.

Just my view.
Last edited by Npret on Sun May 21, 2017 12:04 am, edited 1 time in total.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 am

I would reapply with consulting from Spivey.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 21, 2017 12:07 am

proteinshake wrote:I would reapply with consulting from Spivey.
Op will be on 4th cycle (but not all the same schools 4times.) I agree with you. I think Spivey could spin this and benefit OP.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sun May 21, 2017 12:12 am

Npret wrote:I don't think the TLS advice is the problem. OP didn't apply to places like WUSTL/ BU/BC where OP could have had a decent shot at money- assuming nothing else is wrong.

The applications seem from to be haphazard and OP applied to Alabama on a whim because of iTunes card. No offense meant OP.

Missing interview requests (Cornell) and being late for an interview (Georgetown) didn't help. I'm not sure OPnhad a coherent story to sell themselves. Also applying in January had to hurt.

I understand and sympathize with OP but it's hard to say OP getting a stipend and full ride at Alabama is worse than going to UNH. Also OP should have more options and we can't figure out why not.

Just my view.
I agree with all of this. But the OP has made it clear that they are not willing to wait for yet another cycle, and I was trying to keep that in mind in terms of making my comment. Also, IDK, they have family/personal ties to those states versus Bama, where they have none.

I would definitely have someone go over every aspect of my app if I was in his place, but I understand not wanting to wait yet another cycle. The OP isn't some k-jd, or someone with a year or so out of school I assume (since they have a Masters) so there's that to keep in mind.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”