Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
carsondalywashere

Silver

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs army of waitlists

Post by carsondalywashere » Thu May 25, 2017 7:12 pm

You won't necessarily pay sticker if you get off a waitlist.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu May 25, 2017 7:23 pm

stego wrote: Well you two don't need to be dicks about it.

@Nony I understand it's not personal, but it *feels* personal. It has a big impact on my life, and I feel like I'm getting criticized ITT for not wanting to apply or reapply to certain schools (even though I reapplied to all but two of the schools I applied to from last year.

Ultimately I take the responsibility for the execution but unfortunately TLS posters last year (who tbf didn't have all the facts) led me to believe I could have a much better outcome if I reapplied with basically the same application.

That unfortunately is not the case. Maybe things would be different if I'd reapplied in November but IDK.
In fairness, your attitude/personality (as displayed in this thread, which is slightly different than how you come across in other threads) is highly abnormal, so it's hard to fault TLS's "retake and reapply early" advice.

No one would've suspected you would brush off a Cornell interview invite, or not apply to great schools because you were waitlisted in the past, or have lukewarm PS, would convey interest to schools in proportion to how much interest they showed in you, etc

Even now, it seems that you're still struggling to take "ultimate responsibility."
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu May 25, 2017 9:26 pm

runinthefront wrote:

@Nony I understand it's not personal, but it *feels* personal. It has a big impact on my life, and I feel like I'm getting criticized ITT for not wanting to apply or reapply to certain schools (even though I reapplied to all but two of the schools I applied to from last year.

Ultimately I take the responsibility for the execution but unfortunately TLS posters last year (who tbf didn't have all the facts) led me to believe I could have a much better outcome if I reapplied with basically the same application.

That unfortunately is not the case. Maybe things would be different if I'd reapplied in November but IDK.
In fairness, your attitude/personality (as displayed in this thread, which is slightly different than how you come across in other threads) is highly abnormal, so it's hard to fault TLS's "retake and reapply early" advice.

No one would've suspected you would brush off a Cornell interview invite, or not apply to great schools because you were waitlisted in the past, or have lukewarm PS, would convey interest to schools in proportion to how much interest they showed in you, etc

Even now, it seems that you're still struggling to take "ultimate responsibility."
My main point was that the advice to just "retake and reapply" is flawed. Schools want to see a different application. Reapplicants are unlikely to do better unless there's a big change in the app or a big change in the applicant pool.

IExistedOnceBefore

Bronze

Post by IExistedOnceBefore » Thu May 25, 2017 9:38 pm

stego wrote:
runinthefront wrote:

My main point was that the advice to just "retake and reapply" is flawed. Schools want to see a different application. Reapplicants are unlikely to do better unless there's a big change in the app or a big change in the applicant pool.
You were unlikely to do better because your application was a poison pill and no one at TLS knew that when you asked. Traditionally, and normally, a retake for a higher LSAT and a reapplication with minor updates to resumes if something changes will get better results with a higher LSAT score.

We didn't have all the information when you asked TLS the first time so you got the status quo advice, which is normally sound advice.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Thu May 25, 2017 10:47 pm

TBF, people who reapply are regularly told that they need to write new essays if they do. (And maybe update LORs? That kind of thing.)

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu May 25, 2017 11:45 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:TBF, people who reapply are regularly told that they need to write new essays if they do. (And maybe update LORs? That kind of thing.)
Is it also fair to say that in a lot of these discussions those topics don't even come up? I think everyone, myself included, underestimated the capacity of my PS (among other things) to screw me over.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri May 26, 2017 12:00 am

stego wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:TBF, people who reapply are regularly told that they need to write new essays if they do. (And maybe update LORs? That kind of thing.)
Is it also fair to say that in a lot of these discussions those topics don't even come up? I think everyone, myself included, underestimated the capacity of my PS (among other things) to screw me over.
It's not just your PS though. It's your flippant attitude toward the process and law school generally. Your posts on this particular thread (and apparently your actions over the last several months toward law schools) exude a rather immature and idiosyncratic mindset regarding law school.

No one could have predicted that.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 12:05 am

stego wrote:
I think people do underestimate the PS a little, but there are lots of discussions of reapplying here (including in Spivey's thread). I suppose it's also a little misleading in that lots of people say "reapply early next year for a better outcome" without making clear that "reapplying" entails making changes, not just sending the same materials in again.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Fri May 26, 2017 12:11 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
stego wrote:
I think people do underestimate the PS a little, but there are lots of discussions of reapplying here (including in Spivey's thread). I suppose it's also a little misleading in that lots of people say "reapply early next year for a better outcome" without making clear that "reapplying" entails making changes, not just sending the same materials in again.
Except that's not totally necessary, Nony. You can 100% have a much better outcome with a 1-2 point LSAT increase and the same PS, same LORs, and same emails. 'Retake and reapply' doesn't require a material change in application (aside from the LSAT score/date of application submission).

You're stretching to find unnecessary nuance. The fact is that stego straight-up dropped the ball here, and absolutely no one could've predicted that.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Fri May 26, 2017 12:26 am

runinthefront wrote:
A. Nony Mouse wrote:
stego wrote:
Except that's not totally necessary, Nony. You can 100% have a much better outcome with a 1-2 point LSAT increase and the same PS, same LORs, and same emails. 'Retake and reapply' doesn't require a material change in application (aside from the LSAT score/date of application submission).

You're stretching to find unnecessary nuance. The fact is that stego straight-up dropped the ball here, and absolutely no one could've predicted that.
That's not what the consultant from Spivey told me. Can you have success with the exact same app resubmitted. Sure. That doesn't mean that you should.

The repeated comments about my attitude are starting to get on my nerves.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 12:34 am

I think he did drop the ball, but there are lots of posts here talking about reapplying and they do all talk about the importance of updating the PS when you do. You're right that an LSAT score increase is going to be really important (I forgot for a moment that that was the scenario here), so maybe not as necessary with a score increase, but probably better practice.

And Stego I think people are only still talking about your attitude because it doesn't come across as though you see any problems with it. (That may not be fair, it's just how the posts come across.)

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri May 26, 2017 9:34 am

runinthefront wrote:
stego wrote:
It's not just your PS though. It's your flippant attitude toward the process and law school generally. Your posts on this particular thread (and apparently your actions over the last several months toward law schools) exude a rather immature and idiosyncratic mindset regarding law school.

Just to offer a Devil's Advocate perspective, if you have two cycles of applying that show a flippant attitude toward law schools themselves, and two cycles of under-performance, why would applying a third time and submitting a new PS change how they law schools see you as an applicant? They have the other two applications in your file.

Many of our bread and butter clients are people that reapply. You can have MUCH better results. But there are some cases where mistakes will stay with you such that the results won't improve. Just my 2 cents.

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Fri May 26, 2017 9:37 am

Oh sure. I think some of us are picking apart past actions, which doesn't really help going forward.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 26, 2017 10:04 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
stego wrote:

Just to offer a Devil's Advocate perspective, if you have two cycles of applying that show a flippant attitude toward law schools themselves, and two cycles of under-performance, why would applying a third time and submitting a new PS change how they law schools see you as an applicant? They have the other two applications in your file.

Many of our bread and butter clients are people that reapply. You can have MUCH better results. But there are some cases where mistakes will stay with you such that the results won't improve. Just my 2 cents.
I think the forum agrees because there were several posts here saying " something is wrong with your application you need to figure that out." We didn't have access to OPs info though so we could only guess.
OP: so you made some errors. Figure out what is best for you now and move forward. You are hardly the only applicant who makes mistakes. Maybe law really isn't for you but maybe it is and only you can decide what is in your best interest.

ms9

Gold

Post by ms9 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:09 am

Npret wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
stego wrote:

I think the forum agrees because there were several posts here saying " something is wrong with your application you need to figure that out." We didn't have access to OPs info though so we could only guess.
OP: so you made some errors. Figure out what is best for you now and move forward. You are hardly the only applicant who makes mistakes. Maybe law really isn't for you but maybe it is and only you can decide what is in your best interest.
In my 18-19 years in legal education, I have never seen someone who really wants something not be able to overcome a few errors in the long run. Said errors can slow the process down a bit, but again the ones that have a deep passion always end up just about where they started off aiming for. So I guess my point is to find that deep passion, if possible.

Okay I'm out of this thread good luck Stego!

emkay625

Gold

Post by emkay625 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:24 am

Am I correct that you haven't written an LOCI yet? You should write an LOCI to each school your waitlisted at and send them TODAY. These letters need to be detailed and need to reflect genuine excitement to attend each individual school. Call out specific things. Don't make them form letters.

You can certainly get money off of a waitlist if you play your cards right.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 26, 2017 10:31 am

MikeSpivey wrote:
Npret wrote:
MikeSpivey wrote:
runinthefront wrote:
stego wrote:

In my 18-19 years in legal education, I have never seen someone who really wants something not be able to overcome a few errors in the long run. Said errors can slow the process down a bit, but again the ones that have a deep passion always end up just about where they started off aiming for. So I guess my point is to find that deep passion, if possible.

Okay I'm out of this thread good luck Stego!
Thanks so much for all of your input here. It was a really great help.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Fri May 26, 2017 10:59 am

emkay625 wrote:Am I correct that you haven't written an LOCI yet? You should write an LOCI to each school your waitlisted at and send them TODAY. These letters need to be detailed and need to reflect genuine excitement to attend each individual school. Call out specific things. Don't make them form letters.

You can certainly get money off of a waitlist if you play your cards right.
I think well thought out LOCIs might even be useful for showing signs of improvement towards a completely overhauled application next cycle

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Fri May 26, 2017 12:22 pm

With your numbers send a well thought out LOCI, with a discussion of your cycle, and why you think it happened, to Dean Z at Michigan. She is one of the best and one of the nicest in the business. That said wait-lists are fickle things. Free Bama ain't so bad but not really the thing for clerking or PI. Good luck.

Paul Campos

Silver

Post by Paul Campos » Fri May 26, 2017 4:12 pm

Not buying that a 3.93 171 struck out across the entire T-14 because of a bad PS, a few traffic tickets, lack of "passion" etc. I bet if you apply this fall with new LORs you'll get completely different results.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Fri May 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Just got an email earlier today from NYU that makes it sound like they're about to give out some waitlist admits. But the e-mail also says, "Please note that scholarships will be awarded only to those who qualify for financial need-based funding."

It would be a nice ego boost to get in, but I guess the honorable thing to do is tell them I'm out of the running. :|

For the record I'm not sure if I would qualify for need-based aid or for how much since I wouldn't need it at Alabama but I can't imagine it's enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Fri May 26, 2017 6:18 pm

stego wrote:Just got an email earlier today from NYU that makes it sound like they're about to give out some waitlist admits. But the e-mail also says, "Please note that scholarships will be awarded only to those who qualify for financial need-based funding."

It would be a nice ego boost to get in, but I guess the honorable thing to do is tell them I'm out of the running. :|

For the record I'm not sure if I would qualify for need-based aid or for how much since I wouldn't need it at Alabama but I can't imagine it's enough.
Just actually try to get accepted and see how much it is. You don't even know how much you qualify for and it might be a lot as you sound like you make $11 an hour working in a warehouse.
It has nothing to do with Alabamas offer to you.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Fri May 26, 2017 6:56 pm

just have deep passion?
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat May 27, 2017 12:13 pm

Npret wrote:
stego wrote:Just got an email earlier today from NYU that makes it sound like they're about to give out some waitlist admits. But the e-mail also says, "Please note that scholarships will be awarded only to those who qualify for financial need-based funding."

Just actually try to get accepted and see how much it is. You don't even know how much you qualify for and it might be a lot as you sound like you make $11 an hour working in a warehouse.
It has nothing to do with Alabamas offer to you.
Yep.

OP, dude, you seem to engage in a lot of self-sabotage here. NYU is probably the best place for someone interested in prestigious-PI and clerking, outside of HYS. Just be positive, work the waitlists, and see what happens. The comments about your attitude may be aggravating, but they are necessary to hear, because your attitude seems to be driving your actions in your admissions cycles. Declining interview requests, withdrawing from waitlists, lukewarm expressions of interest... knock that stuff off, and then see what happens. If you still come up empty-handed, then maybe you have grounds to complain. But I don't think you do just yet, based on the info ITT.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 27, 2017 12:17 pm

Did this disaster ever get sorted out? OP, are you going Alabama?
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”