Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
lavarman84

Platinum

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs army of waitlists

Post by lavarman84 » Sun May 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Stegosaurus, get that LOCI email sent to NYU ASAP. Enjoy your acceptance. Kill it in law school. And enjoy KD winning a ring.

You got this hombre. Seal the deal.

stego

Platinum

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists

Post by stego » Wed May 31, 2017 5:32 pm

:!: :!: :!:

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed May 31, 2017 5:34 pm

stego wrote::!: :!: :!:
I'm assuming congrats?

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Wed May 31, 2017 5:37 pm

UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
Got in off the waitlist at NYU today. Now I have to figure out the need-based aid situation. I often hear people say no law school is worth it at sticker (except maybe Harvard or Yale).

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:46 am

stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
Got in off the waitlist at NYU today. Now I have to figure out the need-based aid situation. I often hear people say no law school is worth it at sticker (except maybe Harvard or Yale).
Sticker at NYU would be a tough pill to swallow. Isn't total annual cost of attendance now just shy of $90,000? It really is insane.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:50 am

forza wrote:
stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
Sticker at NYU would be a tough pill to swallow. Isn't total annual cost of attendance now just shy of $90,000? It really is insane.
Yes, but if OP is 100% committed to PI (as in, no way in hell you're going into private practice), then NYU's LRAP will cover them.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:54 am

forza wrote:
stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
He also should get need based aid if I recall correctly. He's over whatever minimum age and works for $11 an hour.
I wouldn't assume he pays sticker.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:00 am

stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
Be careful about that. You have to consider the job they want. Sticker at Harvard for biglaw over a Ruby or other significant aid is crazy. Full aid at a school with very limited future job prospects in your situation over sticker (minus need based aid) at NYU , plus NYU LRAP would be just as crazy. Maybe a student from Alabama who wants to stay there should turn down NYU with need based aid, but OP isn't in that situation.

There are important distinctions to be made here.
Congrats and you should go to NYU. Definitely go to NYU.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 11:18 am

I almost always advise against taking out a ton of debt, in part because I'm wary of PSLF long-term. But if OP has NYU's LRAP to fall back on, and enrolls this fall, that's less of a concern.

Congratulations, OP, this is a big win for you. And YOU OWE IT ALL TO US :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:15 pm

forza wrote:
stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
Not a good choice to pay 270 K for NYU. And not a safe LRAP bet. You are at or above their 75th percentiles. Tune up your app and reapply early.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:25 pm

michlaw wrote:
forza wrote:
stego wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I'm assuming congrats?
Not a good choice to pay 270 K for NYU. And not a safe LRAP bet. You are at or above their 75th percentiles. Tune up your app and reapply early.
What do you mean not a safe LRAP bet? Can you explain that? And why are you assuming he's got sticker cost and when he's got need-based aid to be addressed?

Edit: NYU has A very solid LRAP plan and has significant resources for public interest work. I am just wondering if you're trying to push Michigan or what you're talking about here?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:36 pm

michlaw wrote:Not a good choice to pay 270 K for NYU. And not a safe LRAP bet. You are at or above their 75th percentiles. Tune up your app and reapply early.
Please explain what you mean by "not a safe LRAP bet". NYU is one of the schools with a non-PSLF LRAP option that was in place before PSLF came along. Even if you're uber-paranoid about PSLF disappearing and retroactively withdrawing eligibility for students who relied on it, NYU's LRAP would still be available.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:42 pm

Stego, congratulations on the admission!!

Definitely write more LOCIs for the other schools you're waitlisted at. Don't drop the ball here. Didn't someone ITT (or somewhere else on TLS) get 100k+ off the waitlist at Duke last year? You should look into aid at NYU (which you're already doing).

If you don't get any aid from NYU (or the T13s you're still waitlisted at), you probably shouldn't go to the school(s) at sticker. Nothing so far suggests that you should "definitely" go to NYU.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:08 pm

runinthefront wrote:Stego, congratulations on the admission!!

Definitely write more LOCIs for the other schools you're waitlisted at. Don't drop the ball here. Didn't someone ITT (or somewhere else on TLS) get 100k+ off the waitlist at Duke last year? You should look into aid at NYU (which you're already doing).

If you don't get any aid from NYU (or the T13s you're still waitlisted at), you probably shouldn't go to the school(s) at sticker. Nothing so far suggests that you should "definitely" go to NYU.
Right now his choices are NYU or Alabama. Between the two, considering he has no contacts/ties/ experience with Alabama he should go to NYU.
If he gets off other waitlists, that's another story.

runinthefront

Gold

Post by runinthefront » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:21 pm

Npret wrote:

Right now his choices are NYU or Alabama. Between the two, considering he has no contacts/ties/ experience with Alabama he should go to NYU.
His choices are NYU, Alabama, or "don't go." And there's nothing suggesting he should go to NYU over simply "not going" at this time.
stego wrote:Part of me just wants to not touch the situation at all because I can't envision going to one of these schools at sticker or close to it. It makes me anxious to think about.
Last edited by runinthefront on Fri Jan 26, 2018 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:27 pm

runinthefront wrote:
Npret wrote:

His choices are NYU, Alabama, or "don't go." And there's nothing suggesting he should go to NYU over simply "not going" at this time.
stego wrote:Part of me just wants to not touch the situation at all because I can't envision going to one of these schools at sticker or close to it. It makes me anxious to think about.
He's not going to pay sticker unless I misunderstood his financial situation which is possible.

"Not go" is always an option but my sense was he will go to Alabama because they will give him money to live on and he doesn't believe that Alabama is limiting. I could be wrong about that too.

Maybe someone can convince him to reapply after Spivey's assessment was that it wasn't necessarily going to help because his past applications would still be on file. Prof Campos disagrees with that idea, so who knows.

My odds are right now based on his posts ITT, he's got a 75% chance of taking Alabama over either NYU or not going.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Not a great environment for PI jobs. And may not be for a long time. The government is probably off limits given the powers that be. Staggering number of unfilled posts with no takers. Whether there are enough resistance jobs is the tough 270 k bet.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Jun 01, 2017 3:47 pm

Npret wrote: He's not going to pay sticker unless I misunderstood his financial situation which is possible.
I believe need-based aid is a lot more nuanced than age and income as you've suggested above. I did not get any need-based aid at Michigan (when my merit award was $0) and they never mentioned my income. They said they looked at debt and previous need-based eligibility (in UG). So while I am old enough that my parents income wasn't considered directly, it was considered in that it was considered when I went to UG almost a decade ago and since I didn't qualify for need-based then I don't qualify now.

The Michigan e-mail mentioned that plenty of students have minimal/no assets and are funding their education themselves and they can't give out need-based aid on that info alone since then basically everyone would get need-based aid.

It would also be pretty backwards if someone on 25k/yr in OK got need-based aid but someone in NYC on 65k/yr didn't because the one really isn't making that much more than the other and both are giving up their income to go to school.

OP may well get a bunch of need-based aid, but I don't believe we have nearly enough info to know one way or the other.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:50 pm

runinthefront wrote: Didn't someone ITT (or somewhere else on TLS) get 100k+ off the waitlist at Duke last year?
Someone (could be me) received 6 figures off a t13 waitlist this cycle

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:08 pm

michlaw wrote:

Not a great environment for PI jobs. And may not be for a long time. The government is probably off limits given the powers that be. Staggering number of unfilled posts with no takers. Whether there are enough resistance jobs is the tough 270 k bet.
And if you want a PI job in this not-great environment (which, by the way, will likely be a different environment in 3-4 years), it's kind of hard to beat NYU. Where are you seeing these great swaths of unemployed graduates in the T6?

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 6:58 pm

Sorry to burst your bubble but beating NYU at full boat is pretty easy. The 5 better schools and any T-13 with good money. Good luck with that 3 year prediction. Interestingly Harvard appointed a conservative today as the new Dean. Amazing guy. Clerked for Scalia.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:09 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:27 pm

michlaw wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but beating NYU at full boat is pretty easy. The 5 better schools and any T-13 with good money. Good luck with that 3 year prediction. Interestingly Harvard appointed a conservative today as the new Dean. Amazing guy. Clerked for Scalia.
So I'm going to guess that you a) don't know anything about PI placement and b) haven't read this thread to understand the OP's situation.

But thanks for the weird non sequitur about the Harvard dean. That was... something?

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:32 pm

chargers21 wrote:
michlaw wrote:Sorry to burst your bubble but beating NYU at full boat is pretty easy. The 5 better schools and any T-13 with good money. Good luck with that 3 year prediction. Interestingly Harvard appointed a conservative today as the new Dean. Amazing guy. Clerked for Scalia.
The dude got bounced everywhere else from what I gather. And apparently his terrible app was so bad, that even if he reapplied, they would likely hold it against him because they have the file still. NYU and other waitlists might be the best option. To be honest, if OP applied to Cornell, they would probably pull him from the waitlist and throw at least 105k his way if he showed them a ton of interest
So we think that somehow NYU looked through the bad app and saw the truth of it. More likely they are hungry for his numbers at sticker. They are great numbers after all. Hold out for a better deal.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Jun 01, 2017 7:48 pm

michlaw wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
The dude got bounced everywhere else from what I gather. And apparently his terrible app was so bad, that even if he reapplied, they would likely hold it against him because they have the file still. NYU and other waitlists might be the best option. To be honest, if OP applied to Cornell, they would probably pull him from the waitlist and throw at least 105k his way if he showed them a ton of interest
So we think that somehow NYU looked through the bad app and saw the truth of it. More likely they are hungry for his numbers at sticker. They are great numbers after all. Hold out for a better deal.
Why did they waitlist him if they want his numbers so badly? I know Spivey posted about this but the fact he got all waitlists shows that the numbers aren't enough.

I would feel better about this if OP applied to Alabama for reasons other than a free iTunes card.

Edit: also I feel OP was assuming his numbers would get him through the process so it isn't as if NYU is doing something unexpected.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”