Alabama $$$$ vs NYU vs army of waitlists Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
stego

Platinum

Re: Alabama $$$$ vs army of waitlists

Post by stego » Sat May 27, 2017 3:26 pm

kellyfrost wrote:Did this disaster ever get sorted out? OP, are you going Alabama?
I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'm going to send NYU an email later with an updated resume

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Sat May 27, 2017 3:52 pm

stego wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:Did this disaster ever get sorted out? OP, are you going Alabama?
I have no idea what I'm doing. But I'm going to send NYU an email later with an updated resume
You should send targeted LOCIs to NYU and every other school you are waitlisted at.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by 41262 » Sat May 27, 2017 3:56 pm

FYI, that email from NYU almost 100% means you will be getting in off the waitlist. (Every waitlisted TLS user who has received such an email in recent years has been accepted a week or two later, search "feeler" in the NYU waitlist threads if you want evidence.) It likely included a deadline to confirm your continued interest - make sure you don't blow that off. Best of luck.

AdieuCali

Bronze

Post by AdieuCali » Sat May 27, 2017 5:07 pm

41262 wrote:FYI, that email from NYU almost 100% means you will be getting in off the waitlist. (Every waitlisted TLS user who has received such an email in recent years has been accepted a week or two later, search "feeler" in the NYU waitlist threads if you want evidence.) It likely included a deadline to confirm your continued interest - make sure you don't blow that off. Best of luck.
Probably time to start checking out NYU's LRAP
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&t=262492
http://www.law.nyu.edu/financialaid/lrap

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 27, 2017 5:13 pm

stego wrote:
PM someone you trust here to give you good advice to read your email before you send it. I would offer but I'm going away the next couple of days.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

New

Post by 41262 » Sat May 27, 2017 5:24 pm

Npret wrote:
stego wrote:
PM someone you trust here to give you good advice to read your email before you send it. I would offer but I'm going away the next couple of days.
This is a good idea, but again I'd emphasize that given OP has already received the waitlist feeler email from NYU, the #1 priority is to confirm continued interest by the deadline indicated in the feeler. If waiting for someone to look it over means it won't get in before the deadline, better to just send a one-sentence "I confirm continued interest" in response to the feeler and then follow up later in the week with an application update (which is likely not even necessary at this point).

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Sat May 27, 2017 5:26 pm

41262 wrote:
Npret wrote:
stego wrote:
This is a good idea, but again I'd emphasize that given OP has already received the waitlist feeler email from NYU, the #1 priority is to confirm continued interest by the deadline indicated in the feeler. If waiting for someone to look it over means it won't get in before the deadline, better to just send a one-sentence "I confirm continued interest" in response to the feeler and then follow up later in the week with an application update (which is likely not even necessary at this point).
The email did include a deadline. They want a response by Tuesday.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 27, 2017 6:12 pm

stego wrote:
41262 wrote:
Npret wrote:
stego wrote:
This is troubling. Instead of responding to with "I am working on an application update and letter of continued interest this weekend" or "Just finished me letter" or something positive, it appears your response and attitude is "they want a response by Tuesday."

Do you want to go to NYU or not? Do you want to go to law school? Show some more interest and EFFORT, Jesus Christ!
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New

Post by 41262 » Sat May 27, 2017 6:50 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
stego wrote:
41262 wrote:
Npret wrote:
stego wrote:
This is troubling. Instead of responding to with "I am working on an application update and letter of continued interest this weekend" or "Just finished me letter" or something positive, it appears your response and attitude is "they want a response by Tuesday."

Do you want to go to NYU or not? Do you want to go to law school? Show some more interest and EFFORT, Jesus Christ!
In fairness, OP did already say he's going to send NYU an email. OP, please just make sure you get something in before Tuesday. This is a fantastic opportunity for your stated goals - NYU has a great LRAP program, and I wouldn't be surprised if you get need aid as well if you're supporting yourself with a low-wage job (not saying likely, but possible). You're close to the finish line, take the last few steps and claim your prize.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat May 27, 2017 8:59 pm

I wasn't going to reply anymore in this thread, but the piling on to Stego is getting ridiculous. I don't know how or why this fanfiction of the OP not being 'passionate enough' for law school is being accepted as to why he got snubbed across the board. First of all, there's no way someone with a 171/3.9 is getting rejected/waitlisted for 'lack of passion.' Last time I checked, your level of passion isn't getting reported to US News and World Report, and it just does not make sense for an applicant with these numbers. Something either jumped out as a major red flag in LORs, or the personal statement had something equally glaring....this 'passion' excuse isn't cutting it.

Also, the OP is on a fucking internet forum talking to anons about the law school process which has been difficult and not gone as expected considering the OPs numbers, so obviously he's not exactly going to be the most enthusiastic and positive person right now. That doesn't mean/we can't assume that's what he was like/or is currently like in his application, or with adcoms, or in his email/phone responses with law school staff. Jesus.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sat May 27, 2017 9:06 pm

tinyvessels wrote:I wasn't going to reply anymore in this thread, but the piling on to Stego is getting ridiculous. I don't know how or why this fanfiction of the OP not being 'passionate enough' for law school is being accepted as to why he got snubbed across the board. First of all, there's no way someone with a 171/3.9 is getting rejected/waitlisted for 'lack of passion.' Last time I checked, your level of passion isn't getting reported to US News and World Report, and it just does not make sense for an applicant with these numbers. Something either jumped out as a major red flag in LORs, or the personal statement had something equally glaring....this 'passion' excuse isn't cutting it.

Also, the OP is on a fucking internet forum talking to anons about the law school process which has been difficult and not gone as expected considering the OPs numbers, so obviously he's not exactly going to be the most enthusiastic and positive person right now. That doesn't mean/we can't assume that's what he was like/or is currently like in his application, or with adcoms, or in his email/phone responses with law school staff. Jesus.

This doesn't add anything, at all, that hasn't been mentioned already and discussed. Thanks though!

Julius

New

Post by Julius » Sat May 27, 2017 9:07 pm

tinyvessels wrote:I wasn't going to reply anymore in this thread, but the piling on to Stego is getting ridiculous. I don't know how or why this fanfiction of the OP not being 'passionate enough' for law school is being accepted as to why he got snubbed across the board. First of all, there's no way someone with a 171/3.9 is getting rejected/waitlisted for 'lack of passion.' Last time I checked, your level of passion isn't getting reported to US News and World Report, and it just does not make sense for an applicant with these numbers. Something either jumped out as a major red flag in LORs, or the personal statement had something equally glaring....this 'passion' excuse isn't cutting it.

+1

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sat May 27, 2017 9:11 pm

I wasn't piling on. I was suggesting maybe someone could help him and I would do so if OP wanted but I'm leaving for a few days.
I didn't know that the NYU email was an almost automatic acceptance.
Sorry OP if my comment came across as harsh. Good luck with everything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat May 27, 2017 9:15 pm

Npret wrote:

I wasn't piling on. I was suggesting maybe someone could help him and I would do so if OP wanted but I'm leaving for a few days.
I didn't know that the NYU email was an almost automatic acceptance.
Sorry OP if my comment came across as harsh. Good luck with everything.
You're not at all who I was referring to.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat May 27, 2017 9:20 pm

kellyfrost wrote:

This doesn't add anything, at all, that hasn't been mentioned already and discussed. Thanks though!
You gave one of the most deranged responses to a post on this site I've seen in awhile (which is really saying something considering the type of socially awkward assholes this site attracts) but I'M the one not 'adding anything' to this discussion? Make sense.

Also, make sure your username doesn't show up in my notifications ever again. Thanks though!

New

Post by 41262 » Sat May 27, 2017 9:46 pm

tinyvessels wrote:I don't know how or why this fanfiction of the OP not being 'passionate enough' for law school is being accepted as to why he got snubbed across the board. First of all, there's no way someone with a 171/3.9 is getting rejected/waitlisted for 'lack of passion.' Last time I checked, your level of passion isn't getting reported to US News and World Report, and it just does not make sense for an applicant with these numbers.
[...]
That doesn't mean/we can't assume that's what he was like/or is currently like in his application, or with adcoms, or in his email/phone responses with law school staff. Jesus.
I agree there's no need to pile on to OP as an individual at this point. I sincerely wish him the best and, earlier on this page, was trying to provide some helpful color on the meaning of the email he received from NYU and the importance of hitting its stated deadline.

I also believe this thread clearly, clearly shows that OP conveyed disinterest in law school in his application (PS, read Spivey's characterization) and post-application conduct (blowing off/showing up late to multiple interviews), and don't think it's unreasonable to assume that was a major cause of the underperformance. Schools don't report anything about the PS to USNWR, but that doesn't mean if you have a 4.0/180 you can write "fuck off" 100 times as your statement and still hope to get in. Is there a "passion quotient"? No. Can you display such indifference toward being a lawyer that even with good stats you'll get spiked from more places than you otherwise would? Obviously yes.

OP, again, hope this works out for you (and believe it will).

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat May 27, 2017 11:07 pm

41262 wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:I don't know how or why this fanfiction of the OP not being 'passionate enough' for law school is being accepted as to why he got snubbed across the board. First of all, there's no way someone with a 171/3.9 is getting rejected/waitlisted for 'lack of passion.' Last time I checked, your level of passion isn't getting reported to US News and World Report, and it just does not make sense for an applicant with these numbers.
[...]
That doesn't mean/we can't assume that's what he was like/or is currently like in his application, or with adcoms, or in his email/phone responses with law school staff. Jesus.
I agree there's no need to pile on to OP as an individual at this point. I sincerely wish him the best and, earlier on this page, was trying to provide some helpful color on the meaning of the email he received from NYU and the importance of hitting its stated deadline.

I also believe this thread clearly, clearly shows that OP conveyed disinterest in law school in his application (PS, read Spivey's characterization) and post-application conduct (blowing off/showing up late to multiple interviews), and don't think it's unreasonable to assume that was a major cause of the underperformance. Schools don't report anything about the PS to USNWR, but that doesn't mean if you have a 4.0/180 you can write "fuck off" 100 times as your statement and still hope to get in. Is there a "passion quotient"? No. Can you display such indifference toward being a lawyer that even with good stats you'll get spiked from more places than you otherwise would? Obviously yes.

OP, again, hope this works out for you (and believe it will).
Yes.

Plus, as I and others implied earlier, OP definitely needed a swift kick in the ass. And I think this has provided it. No need for the white knight act above.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

forza

Gold

Post by forza » Sun May 28, 2017 9:45 am

As an Alabama UG alum with many friends who went to the law school, PLEASE don't go there unless you are comfortable staying in the state (or, to a lesser degree, the neighboring states).

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 28, 2017 10:37 am

tinyvessels wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

You gave one of the most deranged responses to a post on this site I've seen in awhile (which is really saying something considering the type of socially awkward assholes this site attracts) but I'M the one not 'adding anything' to this discussion? Make sense.

Also, make sure your username doesn't show up in my notifications ever again. Thanks though!
I wasn't planning on responding until I read the bolder and underlined text above. The rest of your comment was pure shit, not surprising, but the bolded and underlined stuff was pretty good! Lol! Rofl!!!

Serett

Post by Serett » Sun May 28, 2017 11:25 am

You should blog about this.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sun May 28, 2017 12:53 pm

tinyvessels wrote:
kellyfrost wrote:

you're allowed to just hit him with one of these:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

a regular david

Gold

Post by a regular david » Sun May 28, 2017 12:56 pm

is no one going to call out tinyvessels for arguing (a reductivist and in other respects conclusory argument) against spivey's passion point

bc lol at a 0L telling that man whats what re: admissions*

hi spivey miss u bb

e: *especially when u dont even seem to understand the argument in the first place

a regular david

Gold

Post by a regular david » Sun May 28, 2017 1:05 pm

anyway stego good luck u have ur work cut out for u

just take it 1 step at a time, write good LOCI's (and make a thread to gather ppl who will read it and offer feedback if u pm them. u need this feedback.), dont stretch any more deadlines.

e: LOCI's not LOR's
Last edited by a regular david on Sun May 28, 2017 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kellyfrost

Platinum

Post by kellyfrost » Sun May 28, 2017 6:54 pm

a regular david wrote:is no one going to call out tinyvessels for arguing (a reductivist and in other respects conclusory argument) against spivey's passion point

hi spivey miss u bb

e: *especially when u dont even seem to understand the argument in the first place
I thought about calling out tinyvessels, but then decided to let his/her 0L self just look like, well, how she/he currently looks.
Last edited by kellyfrost on Sat Jan 27, 2018 1:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

a regular david

Gold

Post by a regular david » Sun May 28, 2017 7:08 pm

kellyfrost wrote:
a regular david wrote:is no one going to call out tinyvessels for arguing (a reductivist and in other respects conclusory argument) against spivey's passion point

hi spivey miss u bb

I thought about calling out tinyvessels, but then decided to let his/her 0L self just look like, well, how she/he currently looks.
i think a few others did i wasnt paying attention i zone out after like 2 full, grammatically correct sentences

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”