UCI vs UC Davis vs UC Hastings Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
longestroad

New

UCI vs UC Davis vs UC Hastings

Post by longestroad » Wed May 17, 2017 2:07 am

Tuition:
UCI 17k / year
UC Davis 7k / year
UC Hastings 20k / year

Govt / PI career goals, but not set in stone. Definitely want to stay on West coast, would really like to make it up to Portland / Seattle for at least a SA job. I'm currently negotiating with UW, but as of right now its way too expensive.
Have a lot of connections in SoCal. Went to undergrad in NorCal. I like both. SoCal is comfier. NorCal is funner. Davis seems like a good in-between, but not sure if its too out of the way to land me a job in either market (cause there's no way I'd want to stay in Sac).
Ready for the chorus of "retake retake!!"

WheninLaw

Silver

Re: UCI vs UC Davis vs UC Hastings

Post by WheninLaw » Wed May 17, 2017 2:18 am

You have virtually nil shot of a SA position in WA/Seattle (let alone anywhere), but those are decent prices. I would probably take UCI and gun hard for some of the O.C./L.A. firms. You okay working at a small firm, making 50k?

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 2:24 am

What are your stats?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Wed May 17, 2017 2:27 am

Npret wrote:What are your stats?

longestroad

New

Post by longestroad » Wed May 17, 2017 3:51 am

WheninLaw wrote:You have virtually nil shot of a SA position in WA/Seattle (let alone anywhere), but those are decent prices. I would probably take UCI and gun hard for some of the O.C./L.A. firms. You okay working at a small firm, making 50k?
Only better option I have is Notre Dame. You don't think govt is attainable with these schools?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

longestroad

New

Post by longestroad » Wed May 17, 2017 3:53 am

3.7 / 165. Recent grad with basically no softs

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed May 17, 2017 9:31 am

longestroad wrote:
3.7 / 165. Recent grad with basically no softs
What is your cost of attendance? You haven't given a total.

I'm not an expert but I thought those scores were more competitive. Maybe you should consider a retake and working for a year.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed May 17, 2017 9:46 am

longestroad wrote:You don't think govt is attainable with these schools?
What do you mean by "govt"?

Government work can be at the DOJ, or it can be working for the Parks Department in Little Rock.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Wed May 17, 2017 10:42 am

Go w/ Davis, lowest tuition and lowest COL means you won't have to feel like you have to work in government for 10 years to get out from debt
longestroad wrote:
WheninLaw wrote:You have virtually nil shot of a SA position in WA/Seattle (let alone anywhere), but those are decent prices. I would probably take UCI and gun hard for some of the O.C./L.A. firms. You okay working at a small firm, making 50k?
Only better option I have is Notre Dame. You don't think govt is attainable with these schools?
Federal government is prestige oriented, but should still be possible with any of the three depending on luck, internships, grades etc

government is a pretty wide range. Will the San Francisco City Attorney hire you? probably not without going to Stanford or Berkeley, could you work as a PD or DA or some county attorney type thing, probably. DOJ type stuff is possible but unlikely same with other federal agencies though those are slightly easier.

Portland/Seattle PNW are good goals but prepare for disappointment. There are many hipsters who will go to better schools that will want the same thing, and Seattle is a small market. Portland's legal market is much smaller, possibly tiny.

Ultimately, I predict that you will be a DA in San Bernardino
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Sun May 21, 2017 3:56 pm

Borhas wrote:Go w/ Davis, lowest tuition and lowest COL means you won't have to feel like you have to work in government for 10 years to get out from debt
longestroad wrote:
Federal government is prestige oriented, but should still be possible with any of the three depending on luck, internships, grades etc

government is a pretty wide range. Will the San Francisco City Attorney hire you? probably not without going to Stanford or Berkeley, could you work as a PD or DA or some county attorney type thing, probably. DOJ type stuff is possible but unlikely same with other federal agencies though those are slightly easier.

Portland/Seattle PNW are good goals but prepare for disappointment. There are many hipsters who will go to better schools that will want the same thing, and Seattle is a small market. Portland's legal market is much smaller, possibly tiny.

This is kind of aside from the point of the thread, but is the SF city attorney's office wrapped into the SF DA office?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:28 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
Borhas wrote:Go w/ Davis, lowest tuition and lowest COL means you won't have to feel like you have to work in government for 10 years to get out from debt
longestroad wrote:

This is kind of aside from the point of the thread, but is the SF city attorney's office wrapped into the SF DA office?
Looks like the City Attorney is kind of like the AG for San Francisco (this happens in larger cities). They file and defend civil suits in the name of the city.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Sun May 21, 2017 4:32 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:
longestroad wrote:

No. They are two totally different/separate offices. SF City Attorney is basically the lawyer for the city of San Francisco. So when someone sues the city, they defend it. It's a lot of employment/labor stuff. (They do also defend the police department though, when the police are sued). They also do some affirmative litigation. It's all civil stuff. To my knowledge they don't have any involvement with criminal matters.

Also I don't think the city attorney is an office that would only look at you if you went to Stanford or Berkeley. I know lawyers there who did not. Maybe it's because they're from a different generation, or they are the special snowflakes that made it out of USF/Hastings, but I don't think it's that much of a prestige-fueled office. Just my impression but could be wrong.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”