UNLV vs ASU Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
threepeace

New

UNLV vs ASU

Post by threepeace » Fri May 12, 2017 9:59 pm

I am considering attending UNLV and ASU but am not sure what the better choice is. I want to hold the cost of attendance constant since both universities are offering me a full tuition scholarship. The rest of the costs I will be paying for out of pocket.

I am from Las Vegas and attended UNLV for my undergrad degree but am not sure where I want to work. I want to stay on the west coast but am not sure specifically sure where. I have significant ties in Las Vegas and California.

As of right now, my career goal is to be a litigator in criminal or civil law.
My LSAT score is 163 and my GPA is 3.9.

My main focus is to pick the law school that will give me greater opportunities in my future. As well as not force me to stay in the same city I graduated law school from.

cavalier1138

Re: UNLV vs ASU

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat May 13, 2017 7:00 am

threepeace wrote:My main focus is to pick the law school that will give me greater opportunities in my future. As well as not force me to stay in the same city I graduated law school from.
Then neither of these schools fit the bill. Retake the LSAT and reapply. Don't waste that GPA.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat May 13, 2017 9:41 am

It comes down to whether you would rather practice in Nevada or Arizona.
You haven't articulated modest super regional goals and neither will give you the flexibility you seek (whether it be geographic or big law).

fwiw 3 more points will get you near a full ride at USC. Not saying that school should be the end all be all but you're within striking distance of better schools with $$$$ in the southwest.

CPAlawHopefu

Bronze

Post by CPAlawHopefu » Mon May 15, 2017 5:42 pm

threepeace wrote:I am considering attending UNLV and ASU but am not sure what the better choice is. I want to hold the cost of attendance constant since both universities are offering me a full tuition scholarship. The rest of the costs I will be paying for out of pocket.

I am from Las Vegas and attended UNLV for my undergrad degree but am not sure where I want to work. I want to stay on the west coast but am not sure specifically sure where. I have significant ties in Las Vegas and California.

As of right now, my career goal is to be a litigator in criminal or civil law.
My LSAT score is 163 and my GPA is 3.9.

My main focus is to pick the law school that will give me greater opportunities in my future. As well as not force me to stay in the same city I graduated law school from.

Your numbers will get you into UCI/UC Davis/UC Hastings/Pepperdine.

If you want California, those four are your best REALISTIC bets (I'm assuming that you will not retake the LSAT).

California is not a target market for ASU. You will have to rely on your own network to get a job in california/Nevada if you choose ASU.

So it really depends. If you mostly want to rely on each school's Career Service to do most of the leg work, then your career option will be limited to each school's respective state (Arizona or Nevada). If you are willing to hustle on your own, then getting a job in california is do-able at either school.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon May 15, 2017 7:18 pm

I wouldn't rely on any school's career services department, let alone these schools.

I think you need to acquire more geographic focus. Once you figure out what state you want to live and work in long term and what type of job you want (big firm, small firm, PI, local government, etc.) then your decision should be relatively easy.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”