Northwestern vs Michigan Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ckb614

New

Northwestern vs Michigan

Post by ckb614 » Fri May 12, 2017 5:31 pm

Equal offers from both. Currently leaning hard toward NU so my wife will have better job prospects, but I'm wondering if there is enough difference in ranking from 8 to 10 that would give Michigan an edge. Targeting Seattle biglaw (possibly IP) but willing to work in a lot of places

Thanks

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Northwestern vs Michigan

Post by trebekismyhero » Fri May 12, 2017 5:33 pm

ckb614 wrote:Equal offers from both. Currently leaning hard toward NU so my wife will have better job prospects, but I'm wondering if there is enough difference in ranking from 8 to 10 that would give Michigan an edge. Targeting Seattle biglaw (possibly IP) but willing to work in a lot of places

Thanks
Ranking literally means nothing. NU actually has slightly better job prospects. Seattle will be hard unless you have strong ties, although if you are patent eligible that will help. Pick the one you like best and is best for you and your wife

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Fri May 12, 2017 5:59 pm

I love Michigan and will talk to you all day about how awesome it is, but between the two ranking means nothing.

I think we do well in the Pacific northwest (happy to ask) and I don't know about northwestern, but if you think northwestern is the right call for you and your wife don't let the ranking stop you!

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Fri May 12, 2017 6:18 pm

I really liked Michigan Law. Excellent facilities. Great faculty. Nice classmates. The school has adapted very well to the changing legal landscape. I really liked Ann Arbor. Lots of married couples that seem to enjoy the town. Northwestern is also great. Except that their sport teams aren't very good but you can't have everything. Don't think either has the edge for Seattle. If you say Northwestern really fast they might think Lewis & Clark which is well regarded up there.

You didn't mention the offers but if they seem fair to you toss a coin. Good luck.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Fri May 12, 2017 8:34 pm

michlaw wrote: Northwestern is also great. Except that their sport teams aren't very good but you can't have everything.
I feel like this can't be said for long. Coach Fitz and Collins have done a stellar job. We've had 13 bowl appearances in school history, but 10 of those have happened since 2000, meaning that we make a bowl game 60% of the years; we've got the 13th best football recruiting class in the nation right now and signed our coach up with a 10 year extension. As for basketball, we just made the NCAA tournament for the first time ever, and the trajectory of the program looks great; we even just landed a 4 star basketball transfer from BC. A preseason poll came out last week that had us sitting at #19. Our other sports teams have been setting a lot of school records lately too, which is nice. Northwestern is at the beginning of a sports renaissance. There's $400M being pumped into sports infrastructure. That $370M+ includes a completely renovated basketball stadium ($110 million) and the largest and most expensive lakeside athletics facility in the Big Ten ($260 million) that will raise our recruiting profile considerably.

Regardless, sports shouldn't be factored into your decision, because that'd be dumb. I just needed to stop the injustice that I saw afoot.

Really though, they are both great schools. Just talk it over with your SO and see what they think would be best for their career. From either of these schools, you'll have an option to build your career anywhere. If she truly thinks Chicago/AA is best for hers, then go there, then you can help both of your careers.

And, like everyone else has said. Rankings are pretty much useless at this range.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Fri May 12, 2017 11:53 pm

No no no this just won't do. Northwestern had a great season, and they're playing quite well in multiple sports. But they ain't Michigan.
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
michlaw wrote: Northwestern is also great. Except that their sport teams aren't very good but you can't have everything.
I feel like this can't be said for long. Coach Fitz and Collins have done a stellar job. We've had 13 bowl appearances in school history, but 10 of those have happened since 2000, meaning that we make a bowl game 60% of the years; we've got the 13th best football recruiting class in the nation right now and signed our coach up with a 10 year extension. As for basketball, we just made the NCAA tournament for the first time ever, and the trajectory of the program looks great; we even just landed a 4 star basketball transfer from BC. A preseason poll came out last week that had us sitting at #19. Our other sports teams have been setting a lot of school records lately too, which is nice. Northwestern is at the beginning of a sports renaissance. There's $400M being pumped into sports infrastructure. That $370M+ includes a completely renovated basketball stadium ($110 million) and the largest and most expensive lakeside athletics facility in the Big Ten ($260 million) that will raise our recruiting profile considerably.

Regardless, sports shouldn't be factored into your decision, because that'd be dumb. I just needed to stop the injustice that I saw afoot.

Really though, they are both great schools. Just talk it over with your SO and see what they think would be best for their career. From either of these schools, you'll have an option to build your career anywhere. If she truly thinks Chicago/AA is best for hers, then go there, then you can help both of your careers.

And, like everyone else has said. Rankings are pretty much useless at this range.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sat May 13, 2017 12:11 am

nyu2019maybeplease wrote:No no no this just won't do. Northwestern had a great season, and they're playing quite well in multiple sports. But they ain't Michigan.
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

They're definitely not Michigan. The point was that are sports teams actually have been pretty good as of late. This is counter to your claim that the "sports teams aren't very good." That's all. Football has gone to bowls in 10 of the last 17 years; basketball team went to the Ro32 of the NCAAT; women's golf qualified for the NCAA tournament for their 5th straight year and got second at NCAA regionals; women's lacrosse team made it to the Big Ten tournament finals and is going to the NCAA tournament; men's tennis had a historic start to their season, is 21-10, and is heading to the NCAA tournament; women's fencing went 33-14; our women's tennis team is going to the NCAA tournament; our women's field hockey team is to 20 in the nation; we had a platform NCAA national champion in diving; our women's soccer team went 16-3-4, making it to the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament and securing the best start in school history; our men's golf team also qualified for the NCAA tournament.

I'd qualify that as "very good" for the smallest school in the big ten.

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Sat May 13, 2017 2:10 am

Thanks, all, for the replies. I feel like choosing based on athletic spectating prospects might not be the best idea, (but I went to a diii school so what do I know?) but I appreciate the commentary on rankings. guess I'll keep my $300 mlaw t-shirt as a souvenir

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat May 13, 2017 10:09 am

If you want Chicago biglaw or your partner wants Chicago, there's literally no question NU is the choice. If you want NY, this is a push. If you want PNW, Michigan has much better west-coast representation, hands down. If you were west coast or bust, I think it's clear that Mich > NU.

The problem is that PNW is a brutal job market for biglaw. You can have ties, do everything right, get offers in other markets, and still strike out there. Happened to me. So, I'd suggest having robust backup plans.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat May 13, 2017 10:59 am

cron1834 wrote: The problem is that PNW is a brutal job market for biglaw. You can have ties, do everything right, get offers in other markets, and still strike out there. Happened to me. So, I'd suggest having robust backup plans.
Happened to PNW friends who went to Michigan. Also HYS. PNW is crapshoot pipe dream it seems.
I think the SO reasons to go to Northwestern are stronger. Seattle is going to involve a lot of luck, and your first job probably won't be there.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat May 13, 2017 12:28 pm

Yeah, OP, you should check the PNW thread(s) on Legal Employment before you decide anything. Not for 0Ls to post in, but will be good to look over.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat May 13, 2017 1:06 pm

ckb614 wrote:guess I'll keep my $300 mlaw t-shirt as a souvenir
What?

throwaway_

New

Post by throwaway_ » Sat May 13, 2017 1:15 pm

michlaw wrote:I really liked Michigan Law. Excellent facilities. Great faculty. Nice classmates. The school has adapted very well to the changing legal landscape. I really liked Ann Arbor. Lots of married couples that seem to enjoy the town. Northwestern is also great. Except that their sport teams aren't very good but you can't have everything. Don't think either has the edge for Seattle. If you say Northwestern really fast they might think Lewis & Clark which is well regarded up there.

You didn't mention the offers but if they seem fair to you toss a coin. Good luck.
Winner winner chicken dinner

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Sat May 13, 2017 1:49 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
nyu2019maybeplease wrote:No no no this just won't do. Northwestern had a great season, and they're playing quite well in multiple sports. But they ain't Michigan.
RedPurpleBlue wrote:

They're definitely not Michigan. The point was that are sports teams actually have been pretty good as of late. This is counter to your claim that the "sports teams aren't very good." That's all. Football has gone to bowls in 10 of the last 17 years; basketball team went to the Ro32 of the NCAAT; women's golf qualified for the NCAA tournament for their 5th straight year and got second at NCAA regionals; women's lacrosse team made it to the Big Ten tournament finals and is going to the NCAA tournament; men's tennis had a historic start to their season, is 21-10, and is heading to the NCAA tournament; women's fencing went 33-14; our women's tennis team is going to the NCAA tournament; our women's field hockey team is to 20 in the nation; we had a platform NCAA national champion in diving; our women's soccer team went 16-3-4, making it to the 3rd round of the NCAA tournament and securing the best start in school history; our men's golf team also qualified for the NCAA tournament.

I'd qualify that as "very good" for the smallest school in the big ten.
I was only kidding about the sports but I haven't gotten over the last second full court pass.
You certainly don't decide on a law school based on the strength of the athletic programs but in this case the deciding factor won't have much to do with the schools themselves but things like SO employment and hard to define things like quality of life. This isn't a west coast east coast or big city small town. I think the schools are a push.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat May 13, 2017 2:00 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
What?
I think it was referencing losing their Michigan seat deposit.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat May 13, 2017 2:51 pm

Whichever is cheaper, and within that, whichever you like better. The ranking has no significance

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Sat May 13, 2017 3:32 pm

Rigo wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
What?
I think it was referencing losing their Michigan seat deposit.
Wow, I took that very literally lmao

ckb614

New

Post by ckb614 » Mon May 15, 2017 11:28 am

cron1834 wrote:Yeah, OP, you should check the PNW thread(s) on Legal Employment before you decide anything. Not for 0Ls to post in, but will be good to look over.
All my in-laws live out here (Seattle) and I've been here for six years, but I know it's going to be hard to get back. Maybe we'd rather live somewhere warm after 3 years in Chicago though. Like I said, open to lots of options. Thanks again

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”