Update/SOS WUSTL (full ride) vs. Michigan ($$) vs Penn (WL) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mightaswell

New

Update/SOS WUSTL (full ride) vs. Michigan ($$) vs Penn (WL)

Post by mightaswell » Tue May 09, 2017 1:38 pm

Thanks everyone!
Last edited by mightaswell on Thu May 18, 2017 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Re: WUSTL ($$$) vs. Michigan ($$) vs Penn (WL)

Post by SmokeytheBear » Tue May 09, 2017 1:51 pm

mightaswell wrote:Hi everyone!

I need help deciding.

Here are my choices:
WUSTL - (currently in negotiations) - 80K COA
Mich (wont play ball) - 140k COA
Penn (I'm hanging out on their waitlist and assuming if I get off I wont get a scholarship) - ~280K COA

About me: I'm originally from STL, but have been living in NY so i'm not married to any geographic location when it comes to where I want to practice and know that I need to be geographically flexible for my career. My goals are unique in that I want to practice as Bioethics Consultant (niche that falls under IP + Health Law). Ultimately I want to be in-house counsel at a government agency (NIH, FDA, etc) or a biotech company. I believe I can achieve this by starting off in Big Law Health Law first to repay my debt or a fellowship/clerkship to give me more expertise if I don't have immense debt.

Anything that isn't covered by the school is coming straight out of student loans.
With those goals, Michigan will give you a better shot at biglaw. You'll take on some debt, but $140k is manageable with two-three years in biglaw.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Tue May 09, 2017 1:54 pm

mightaswell wrote:Ultimately I want to be in-house counsel at a government agency (NIH, FDA, etc) or a biotech company. I believe I can achieve this by starting off in Big Law Health Law first to repay my debt
It sounds like you are saying you could do biglaw if you need the money, but you don't have to do biglaw. Are there well-traveled paths to in-house counsel at a government agency (NIH, FDA, etc) or a biotech company that don't involve biglaw?

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Wed May 10, 2017 8:16 am

Sounds like Michigan would be a great fit. PM me if you have more specific questions.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Wed May 10, 2017 9:57 am

Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:42 pm

Mich

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed May 10, 2017 12:57 pm

Michigan

mightaswell

New

Post by mightaswell » Wed May 10, 2017 3:41 pm

guybourdin wrote:
mightaswell wrote:Ultimately I want to be in-house counsel at a government agency (NIH, FDA, etc) or a biotech company. I believe I can achieve this by starting off in Big Law Health Law first to repay my debt
It sounds like you are saying you could do biglaw if you need the money, but you don't have to do biglaw. Are there well-traveled paths to in-house counsel at a government agency (NIH, FDA, etc) or a biotech company that don't involve biglaw?
Bioethics Consultant is a really young profession so there really aren't any well-traveled paths. That being said, it seems that various fellowships (ie, the bioethics fellowship at the NIH) are good avenues to getting those kinds of positions.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”