Harvard ($) vs. Columbia ($ + convenience) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
guynourmin

Gold

Re: Harvard ($) vs. Columbia ($ + convenience)

Post by guynourmin » Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 pm

shadowfax wrote:I'm just not sure where you prefer living NYC or Boston while going to law school should be the deciding factor.
they said there's a child with childcare-related things all situated in NYC and an SO with a job, not simply an NYC preference.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 3:51 pm

shadowfax wrote:I'm just not sure where you prefer living NYC or Boston while going to law school should be the deciding factor. If it was Ann Arbor or Palo Alto maybe. For the same money you go to Harvard every time.
Agreed with the bolded, but there's a lot more going on for the OP here that just geographic whims. OP has a SO with a job in NYC and child care issues.

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Tue May 09, 2017 4:09 pm

My fault. I read the op comments of kindalike that and sorta similar to that and keep my life style and inconvenient as less than concrete. Sorry.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue May 09, 2017 4:25 pm

Npret wrote:Why do you think you won't get a clerkship from Columbia but you will from Harvard? What clerkship do you want?
Are you drunk posting?

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Tue May 09, 2017 4:49 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Npret wrote:Why do you think you won't get a clerkship from Columbia but you will from Harvard? What clerkship do you want?
Are you drunk posting?
:?:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue May 09, 2017 4:55 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
Studybuddy17 wrote: The inconveniences are quite large but are not financial, merely lifestyle.
but what are they? Like, if you have a 4 year old and have already gotten them into the kindergarten of your dreams, then giving up that spot and moving to Boston would seem like a huge inconvenience. If you just know all your favorite spots in nyc, that's not "quite large" at all.
They are along the lines of SO leaving current employment, and childcare related inconveniences
I think that totally justifies going to CLS.

Mikey

Platinum

Post by Mikey » Tue May 09, 2017 4:56 pm

Given your goals and large want to remain in NYC, just take Columbia. It's a great school and you got money. Congrats!

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Tue May 09, 2017 4:57 pm

A. Nony Mouse wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Are you drunk posting?
:?:
Sorry what I meant to say was that if OP were picking law schools based solely on AIII outcomes alone, the numbers do show that he'd be better off at ND, W&L, UNC-Chapel Hill, Georgia, Minnesota, UC-Davis, Richmond, Utah or Arkansas. That said, since he's trying to stay in the NYC area, I suppose that Columbia does marginally better than BLS, Cardozo, Fordham and NYLS.

So my outburst was probably uncalled for.

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Post by Studybuddy17 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:01 pm

Mikey wrote:Given your goals and large want to remain in NYC, just take Columbia. It's a great school and you got money. Congrats!
Thank you so much!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Tue May 09, 2017 5:21 pm

Ok then. You may have your cake and eat it too.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 09, 2017 5:34 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:
Mikey wrote:Given your goals and large want to remain in NYC, just take Columbia. It's a great school and you got money. Congrats!
Thank you so much!
Yea, I think the differences between the two schools should not be exaggerated. You'll be fine at Columbia for anything you'd want to do from HLS in New york. PM if you want to discuss clerkships & litigation in New York.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
Are you drunk posting?
No. I'm trying to clarify OPs actual goals because OP is vague as hell.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Tue May 09, 2017 5:37 pm

Don't move to Cambridge if doing so would make you really unhappy. The outcomes are pretty similar, and if you really want to be in New York, then fuck it. Do that.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Post by Studybuddy17 » Tue May 09, 2017 6:19 pm

Npret wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Are you drunk posting?
Not being vague purposefully, don't have full clarity at the moment and just trying to keep future doors open

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Tue May 09, 2017 7:25 pm

Studybuddy17 wrote:
Npret wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:
Are you drunk posting?
Not being vague purposefully, don't have full clarity at the moment and just trying to keep future doors open
so, the "doors" metaphor does no work in the context of top law schools, since no "doors" are closed or opened by going to one school over another or vise versa. To butcher the already pathetic metaphor, it would be more accurate to state that certain doors swing a slight angle wider, and others are basically open to the same degree

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Tue May 09, 2017 7:35 pm

jbagelboy wrote: To butcher the already pathetic metaphor, it would be more accurate to state that certain doors swing a slight angle wider, and others are basically open to the same degree
Yep. Look, OP, if you want someone want to tell you that "CLS is exactly the same as HLS for all job opportunities," no one can (truthfully) tell you that. HLS is a little better for most things, including clerkships. If the personal inconvenience you would suffer in moving to Cambridge is worth the slightly better opportunities you'll have coming out of HLS, then go to Harvard. If not, then go to Columbia. There's no right or wrong answer. But to the extent there's a determining factor here, it's a personal one. We can't weight/value the cost of your inconvenience in leaving NYC, so I'm afraid this thread is going to be of limited value.

Studybuddy17

Bronze

Post by Studybuddy17 » Tue May 09, 2017 7:44 pm

rpupkin wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: To butcher the already pathetic metaphor, it would be more accurate to state that certain doors swing a slight angle wider, and others are basically open to the same degree
Yep. Look, OP, if you want someone want to tell you that "CLS is exactly the same as HLS for all job opportunities," no one can (truthfully) tell you that. HLS is a little better for most things, including clerkships. If the personal inconvenience you would suffer in moving to Cambridge is worth the slightly better opportunities you'll have coming out of HLS, then go to Harvard. If not, then go to Columbia. There's no right or wrong answer. But to the extent that there's a determining factor here, it's a personal one. We can't weight/value the cost of your inconvenience in leaving NYC, so I'm afraid this thread is going to be of limited value.
What you are saying makes alot of sense. As long as the real life differences between the two are not significant, then I would be content with the more convenient choice. However, if there are real benefits to be gained by attending Harvard (i.e. preference over Columbia students in hiring practices) then I obviously would not resign myself to the conveniences, despite their enticement.
What I am taking out from all of the helpful responses is that there is a somewhat tangible, albeit not very significant benefit between the two, and therefore the small benefits of Harvard over Columbia may still be mitigated depending on the level of difficulty involved

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Tue May 09, 2017 7:55 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Yep. Look, OP, if you want someone want to tell you that "CLS is exactly the same as HLS for all job opportunities," no one can (truthfully) tell you that. HLS is a little better for most things, including clerkships. If the personal inconvenience you would suffer in moving to Cambridge is worth the slightly better opportunities you'll have coming out of HLS, then go to Harvard. If not, then go to Columbia. There's no right or wrong answer. But to the extent there's a determining factor here, it's a personal one. We can't weight/value the cost of your inconvenience in leaving NYC, so I'm afraid this thread is going to be of limited value.
180....perfectly stated

Art1Judge

New

Post by Art1Judge » Tue May 09, 2017 11:36 pm

New to this forum, here are my thoughts. If you plan on working in NYC after law school then Columbia might have an edge. Anywhere else, in my humble opinion HLS has the edge, especially with federal judicial clerkships.

jb111

New

Post by jb111 » Wed May 10, 2017 5:25 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Consistently the most useful poster on these types of threads, even with the occasional trolling thrown in.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”