UCI vs UCD vs ND Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Deserving Porcupine

New

Re: UCI vs UCD vs ND

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Mon May 08, 2017 4:39 pm

IMO there is a big difference between graduating debt free because Daddy paid for it, and graduating debt free because you blew $100k of savings. I mean, I really do get the aversion to debt but if I had the savings I'd still probably be taking out loans and keeping a good bit of cash to invest/ as a rainy day fund. There is always PAYE/ IBR if you get a shitty low-posting job, but once you've blown your savings, it's gone, even if you still end up with that same shitty job.

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Mon May 08, 2017 4:41 pm

RParadela wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
RParadela wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
amta wrote:
guybourdin wrote: OP NEEDS to retake. They have previously said they have a 25th gpa or thereabouts, which is like 3.4-3.55. With that GPA, USC is a reasonable goal. its crazy they won't wait. literally crazy! they're still in college, though, so they know what's best
i believe i had asked OP weather she was a k-jd or not in a previous iteration of this thread but did not receive an answer. all signs point to a retake given OP's stated goals.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p9955551 says she's still in school (and getting straight As!).

The only reason she's provided for not retaking is she won't improve much.
If her dad is a BigLaw partner and can get her an SA plus will pay for the remainder of her COA at UCD, I don't think she needs to retake. That's a pretty damn good setup
she's previously said she would want to transfer to UCLA/USC, though, and has seemed shy to say she has a guaranteed job lined up (likely because she doesn't). I agree, if she 100% has her ideal job locked down that going to Davis debt-free is a great outcome. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, though.
Speaking from experience, I highly doubt she'd have any trouble working at her dads law firm if he's a partner if she went to Davis and didn't fail out.
Yes he's a partner at a biglaw firm in NorCal. No I don't think I have a guaranteed job but I'm "on their radar" (my dad's words) and I'm sure the connections would help. I've also been speaking to partners at his firm and at other firms about my law school options and they have mostly recommended Davis (although a few have said ND). None of them have suggested a retake. I don't want to be like "wooohoo nepotism" but I mean if I have those connections I'm definitely going to use whatever edge I have.

And yes I've kind of been skirting around this. It's kind of awkward/bratty to say that I am partially using family connections for my post-grad plans but I guess it's also pretty relevant in my decision.
Last edited by khaleesi_k on Mon May 08, 2017 5:07 pm, edited 5 times in total.

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Mon May 08, 2017 4:42 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:For a retake - I studied so much for the LSAT over the summer and went in to take it in September. Our school band decided to have practice at the exact same time and in a very near vicinity to the building we took the LSAT in. It was a mess. The proctors promised they would "email lsac and let them know about what happened" but I've talked to students who followed up with that and basically nothing happened.

I decided to cancel my score for that one as it was very distracting trying to read while listening to loud band music. Scheduled a retake in December, and brought ear plugs this time.

The absolute highest I've gotten on a practice test was 168. Usually I would hit around 165. I ended up getting a 164 on the actual test. I took an easy quarter in the fall and had plenty of time to study for the LSAT after the September one.

I have one retake left. I'm not convinced that I would score that much higher - if I work really hard I can maybe pull off a 168. I could definitely be wrong on this, but I'm pretty sure USC/UCLA (and especially UCB) are still not very likely with a 3.5/168, especially not with any sort of scholarship. I studied from June - Dec. I appreciate the advice to take a retake, I see the reasoning behind that, but if I'm not looking at a 170+ I'm not sure how much it will benefit me with admissions at California schools, or T14. I didn't just go into the LSAT with cold feet, I worked hard and studied a lot for that 164.

I don't need big law, I'm ok at a small firm anywhere in California.
a 168/3.5 would get you into USC i think, that score is literally 2 points above their 75th. 168 is at UCLA's 75th so i think youd again be pretty competitive there as well. i have a couple friends with 167/3.5 who got into UCLA. but dont just take my word for it, plug 3.5/168 numbers into mylsn see what you're looking at.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Mon May 08, 2017 5:08 pm

I'm no expert by any means but I'm guessing those connections will matter very little when it comes time to find a job. Unless your dad has some major, major clout I don't think he'll be able to get you a job there no matter what. The fact that you're thinking about relying on a achool's placement power and already thinking about trying to transfer up suggest that you know that these connections probably won't take you very far.

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon May 08, 2017 5:13 pm

BigZuck wrote:I'm no expert by any means but I'm guessing those connections will matter very little when it comes time to find a job. Unless your dad has some major, major clout I don't think he'll be able to get you a job there no matter what. The fact that you're thinking about relying on a achool's placement power and already thinking about trying to transfer up suggest that you know that these connections probably won't take you very far.
You have seniority here, but I know several people at various firms that are below the standard of what that firm would normally hire but ended up having no difficulty getting in as an associate because their dad or mom is a partner at the firm.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Deserving Porcupine

New

Post by Deserving Porcupine » Mon May 08, 2017 5:14 pm

Don't some (many? Most?) Biglaw firms have anti-nepotism policies? I think I've heard it mentioned before, never paid much attention because it doesn't apply to me...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon May 08, 2017 5:17 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:And yes I've kind of been skirting around this. It's kind of awkward/bratty to say that I am partially using family connections for my post-grad plans but I guess it's also pretty relevant in my decision.
Doesn't quite go along with:
khaleesi_k wrote:I don't need big law, I'm ok at a small firm anywhere in California.
Which definitely doesn't go along with your plans to place in the top of your class and/or transfer to a better school. You so very clearly want to work in biglaw. Why are you so damn set against giving yourself a realistic opportunity to do that?

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon May 08, 2017 5:22 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:Don't some (many? Most?) Biglaw firms have anti-nepotism policies? I think I've heard it mentioned before, never paid much attention because it doesn't apply to me...
I think that's the case, but many times a partner can spin their kid off at a firm a buddy is at or that their colleague has started, etc...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 08, 2017 5:37 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:
RParadela wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
RParadela wrote:
guybourdin wrote:
amta wrote:
guybourdin wrote: OP NEEDS to retake. They have previously said they have a 25th gpa or thereabouts, which is like 3.4-3.55. With that GPA, USC is a reasonable goal. its crazy they won't wait. literally crazy! they're still in college, though, so they know what's best
i believe i had asked OP weather she was a k-jd or not in a previous iteration of this thread but did not receive an answer. all signs point to a retake given OP's stated goals.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... a#p9955551 says she's still in school (and getting straight As!).

The only reason she's provided for not retaking is she won't improve much.
If her dad is a BigLaw partner and can get her an SA plus will pay for the remainder of her COA at UCD, I don't think she needs to retake. That's a pretty damn good setup
she's previously said she would want to transfer to UCLA/USC, though, and has seemed shy to say she has a guaranteed job lined up (likely because she doesn't). I agree, if she 100% has her ideal job locked down that going to Davis debt-free is a great outcome. I'm pretty sure that's not the case, though.
Speaking from experience, I highly doubt she'd have any trouble working at her dads law firm if he's a partner if she went to Davis and didn't fail out.
Yes he's a partner at a biglaw firm in NorCal. No I don't think I have a guaranteed job but I'm "on their radar" (my dad's words) and I'm sure the connections would help. I've also been speaking to partners at his firm and at other firms about my law school options and they have mostly recommended Davis (although a few have said ND). None of them have suggested a retake. I don't want to be like "wooohoo nepotism" but I mean if I have those connections I'm definitely going to use whatever edge I have.

And yes I've kind of been skirting around this. It's kind of awkward/bratty to say that I am partially using family connections for my post-grad plans but I guess it's also pretty relevant in my decision.
Have you asked those partners their opinion on USC or did you just give them your current options?
I don't know, it sounds like you have money and connections and don't need big law to repay loans so I would go to Davis. Why work hard to get into a better school with more options?

Sounds like a better school won't make a difference and you don't have the drive or desire to achieve it.
Last edited by Npret on Mon May 08, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

Deserving Porcupine wrote:Don't some (many? Most?) Biglaw firms have anti-nepotism policies? I think I've heard it mentioned before, never paid much attention because it doesn't apply to me...
Some firms have rules against children making partner before their parents retire but I've never heard of a firm not allowing associate hiring

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Mon May 08, 2017 5:39 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
khaleesi_k wrote:And yes I've kind of been skirting around this. It's kind of awkward/bratty to say that I am partially using family connections for my post-grad plans but I guess it's also pretty relevant in my decision.
khaleesi_k wrote:I don't need big law, I'm ok at a small firm anywhere in California.
Which definitely doesn't go along with your plans to place in the top of your class and/or transfer to a better school. You so very clearly want to work in biglaw. Why are you so damn set against giving yourself a realistic opportunity to do that?
I'm very much ok with a small firm in California. I'd love biglaw, but if that doesn't happen I'm completely ok with working at a small firm.

I'm not very hyped on Davis because it is VERY similar to my undergrad and I want a change of pace but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to transfer, especially if they dont offer schollys to transfers. Didn't realize that schools didn't do that. And regardless I want to try to place in the top of my class. I'm not relying on it but it would be helpful to do as well as possible. Davis also offers a scholarship for the top 10% of their class so if I managed to get that I would be going to law school almost for free. Obviously I can't rely on that happening but I'm going to work very hard to try and achieve that. If it doesn't happen, I'm ok with my options from there.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon May 08, 2017 5:41 pm

RParadela wrote:
Some firms have rules against children making partner before their parents retire but I've never heard of a firm not allowing associate hiring
I know several AmLaw 100 firms that have anti-nepotism policies against hiring children of partners as associates.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon May 08, 2017 5:44 pm

Also if a colleague's child asked about options, I would be unlikely to recommend they go hafway across the country for a school like Notre Dame. Stay home is as good of an option.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

loslakers

New

Post by loslakers » Mon May 08, 2017 5:45 pm

khaleesi_k wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I'm very much ok with a small firm in California. I'd love biglaw, but if that doesn't happen I'm completely ok with working at a small firm.

I'm not very hyped on Davis because it is VERY similar to my undergrad and I want a change of pace but that doesn't seem like a good enough reason to transfer, especially if they dont offer schollys to transfers. Didn't realize that schools didn't do that. And regardless I want to try to place in the top of my class. I'm not relying on it but it would be helpful to do as well as possible. Davis also offers a scholarship for the top 10% of their class so if I managed to get that I would be going to law school almost for free. Obviously I can't rely on that happening but I'm going to work very hard to try and achieve that. If it doesn't happen, I'm ok with my options from there.
why not work really hard on improving your lsat by 2-3 points? i bet Davis would give you a full ride if you could bump up your LSAT to 166-167, and you could get a decent scholarship to USC. dont you think studying for the LSAT would be much easier than getting 10% at Davis?

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Mon May 08, 2017 5:52 pm

khaleesi_k wrote: I'm very much ok with a small firm in California. I'd love biglaw, but if that doesn't happen I'm completely ok with working at a small firm.

the bolded demonstrates that you may not yet fully grasp how great an undertaking going to law school is. take a year off and get learnt.

Gitaroo_Dude

Silver

Post by Gitaroo_Dude » Mon May 08, 2017 6:15 pm

A 168/3.5 will give you a good shot at UCLA as long as the rest of your app is good (I'm speaking from experience on this as someone attending this fall with a 168/3.4).

Taking everything into account, I think the best advice I can give is to take a gap year and retake. It sounds like you have some financial security, so I'd really encourage you to travel a bit and work too. Take that third shot at the LSAT. It took me three attempts to hit my target score; weird things happen on test day so give yourself as many chances as you can. Worst case scenario, you reapply next year with the same score and get the same results, but have a better idea of what your goals are long term.

Basically, don't settle for a law school until you've exhausted your LSAT takes. You'll regret it in the long run.

Also, check out the Mid West/Notre Dame. Maybe you love it and would be okay with Chicago, you know? Enjoy those early 20s years before committing .

FamilyLawEsq

Bronze

Post by FamilyLawEsq » Mon May 08, 2017 7:00 pm

OP listen to your father. Connections trump a higher ranked school.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:24 pm

Eh that's a pretty low GPA for USC. If they got in they probably wouldn't get that good of money and then next year we would all just be whining that it's too expensive.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon May 08, 2017 9:35 pm

I can see an argument for UCI. You want SoCal and UCI would open that region for you. And you can still foster your Bay Area ties and go back to NorCal if things don't pan out how you'd like.

I'm torn on your situation, so I won't weigh in definitively and instead just wish you luck. So good luck!

Tempest818

New

Post by Tempest818 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:42 am

ND higher ranked but out of state. UCI is 28 and UCD is too low on the list. Either UCI or ND and I'd say go to UCI. Idk what these people are on talking so negatively. Don't even think of Davis. UC Newport right away!

Tempest818

New

Post by Tempest818 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:44 am

BigZuck wrote:I'm no expert by any means but I'm guessing those connections will matter very little when it comes time to find a job. Unless your dad has some major, major clout I don't think he'll be able to get you a job there no matter what. The fact that you're thinking about relying on a achool's placement power and already thinking about trying to transfer up suggest that you know that these connections probably won't take you very far.

How Stupid. You seem to know her dads position better than you do so maybe you can explain better here with your "probablys". She said her dad has a say at a big law firm. Why not leave it at that instead of going on a jealous rant?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Jun 22, 2017 6:53 am

Tempest818 wrote:

How Stupid. You seem to know her dads position better than you do so maybe you can explain better here with your "probablys". She said her dad has a say at a big law firm. Why not leave it at that instead of going on a jealous rant?
What a good use of a necro. 10/10.

stego

Platinum

Post by stego » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:59 am

What did you decide, OP?
khaleesi_k wrote:

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Jun 22, 2017 12:30 pm

Tempest818 wrote:

K

khaleesi_k

New

Post by khaleesi_k » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:59 pm

stego wrote:What did you decide, OP?
khaleesi_k wrote:
Long response delay but UCD!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”