Michigan ($$) vs. Columbia ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What's my best option?

Michigan
77%
Columbia
23%
Retake & reapply
No votes

Total votes: 47

dclaw93

Bronze

Michigan ($$) vs. Columbia ($)

Post by dclaw93 » Fri May 05, 2017 5:25 pm

Would appreciate any advice on this. I visited Michigan and really liked AA and both the current and prospective students I met. Haven’t visited CLS specifically, but have visited Columbia twice before I was planning on LS.

I’ve already deposited at Michigan – CLS just made this offer in the past few days so I’ll try to get more money from Michigan based on this.

The total Cost of Attendance (COA) of each. COA = cost of tuition + fees + books + cost of living (COL) + accumulated interest - scholarships.
Columbia - $25,000/year scholarship = $222,000 estimated debt at repayment
Michigan - $40,000/year scholarship = $126,000 estimated debt at repayment
How you will be financing your COA, i.e. loans, family, or savings
Financing COA with loans. Have a decent amount in personal savings (`$20k) but I’m planning on using this to cover 1L summer living expenses (assuming unpaid) and the remainder as an emergency fund.
Where you are from and where you want to work, and other places where you have significant ties (if any)
Have significant ties to both DC & Boston. I would like to work in either, with DC being my top choice (I know this will be hard from either school). Would be open to working in NYC or Chicago too.
Your general career goals
BigLaw, leaning towards transactional. Would like to go in-house after a few years (3-5) in BL.
Your LSAT/GPA numbers
LSAT: 172, GPA: 3.49
How many times you have taken the LSAT
1 time. I’m open to postponing a year & retaking, I’m just not sure how much this would help given my numbers/the fact that I’m already above the 75th for most of the T14.
Last edited by dclaw93 on Fri May 05, 2017 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Re: Michigan ($$) vs. Columbia ($)

Post by Po$eidon » Fri May 05, 2017 5:29 pm

Michigan. It's not close. That's a big money differential and retaking is unlikely to do much of anything - it's your GPA that's holding you back. You have beneric biglaw goals and UMich should be good enough if you do moderately well.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri May 05, 2017 5:30 pm

Michigan. Columbia is not worth $100k more than Michigan.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Fri May 05, 2017 5:53 pm

Michigan is a good outcome for your numbers and goals. Congrats and enjoy!

dclaw93

Bronze

Post by dclaw93 » Fri May 05, 2017 9:01 pm

Thanks to everyone for responding/voting!

I thought Michigan would be the winner but I'm surprising Columbia's getting shut out. Anyone willing to make the case for CLS?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Fri May 05, 2017 9:36 pm

I'm surprised Columbia gave you that money. I have the same LSAT as you and an international GPA ("Superior") yet they didn't offer me any merit-based aid while Michigan gave me $40k / year — again, same as you.

I've deposited at Columbia because my SO is starting med school there, but am also riding two waitlists on the East Coast and if I get off either I'm LEAVING. Can't wait to send the Financial Aid office a snarky af email telling them why they lost me.

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Fri May 05, 2017 10:43 pm

RictusErectus wrote:I'm surprised Columbia gave you that money. I have the same LSAT as you and an international GPA ("Superior") yet they didn't offer me any merit-based aid while Michigan gave me $40k / year — again, same as you.

I've deposited at Columbia because my SO is starting med school there, but am also riding two waitlists on the East Coast and if I get off either I'm LEAVING. Can't wait to send the Financial Aid office a snarky af email telling them why they lost me.
Please don't do this.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Fri May 05, 2017 10:59 pm

lawlorbust wrote:
RictusErectus wrote:I'm surprised Columbia gave you that money. I have the same LSAT as you and an international GPA ("Superior") yet they didn't offer me any merit-based aid while Michigan gave me $40k / year — again, same as you.

Please don't do this.
Seriously, I am also surprised at that money but this is a terrible idea.

RictusErectus

Bronze

Post by RictusErectus » Sat May 06, 2017 12:17 am

jjcorvino wrote:
lawlorbust wrote:

Please don't do this.
Seriously, I am also surprised at that money but this is a terrible idea.
Yeah, guys. I wouldn't actually do that. There's anonymous post-withdrawal surveys for such things anyway. But, yeah, I shook my fists at the sky for a solid 30 seconds.

PS - Thanks for the concern and advice!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”