Michigan ($) vs Penn vs Second Retake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Keynes

New

Michigan ($) vs Penn vs Second Retake

Post by Keynes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:10 pm

Completely dropped the ball on my negotiation with Penn, so I'm left with a $15k/year scholarship to Michigan and sticker at Penn. Michigan COA will be about $185,000, while Penn will be roughly $270,000. That is taking into account some savings and 2L SA. The rest will be financed with loans.

My goals and interests are fairly broad. I'm a Teach For America alum and would love to do PI/bigfed work in education, immigration, and voter protection. Open to biglaw for a few years to gain experience and pay off a significant portion of my loans. Regardless, I'd like to be in DC long term. I have ties in North Carolina and Florida.

Now for the most difficult piece...I have a 164/3.9. I know the conventional TLS wisdom in this case would be to re-take, which I already did....and got a lower score. I did PT up to a 168, but at this point, I'm not confident I can deliver in that range on test day. I've taken probably 25 practice tests and got consistently near perfect on logic games; reading comprehension really tanked my score, and my LR hardly improved at all over time.

I visited both Michigan and Penn and loved them for different reasons. I left Michigan feeling I could thrive in Ann Arbor, while Penn was attractive for its proximity to summer opportunities and Business Economics and Public Policy certificate from Wharton (I was an economics major/teacher). I also have an SO who would prefer Philly for her own professional reasons.

Given my difficulty in improving my LSAT, should I take the small amount of money at Michigan or pursue Penn given the greater likelihood of landing a biglaw gig? Appreciate any guidance!

presidentspivey

Bronze

Re: Michigan ($) vs Penn vs Second Retake

Post by presidentspivey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:19 pm

Some will still advise the retake here, but if you've already retaken once and are excellent on LG, I think you could justify not doing so again. So, putting aside the retake, is a 15.9% BL+FC difference in favor of Penn worth 85k? I'd say yes.

quigleyest

New

Post by quigleyest » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:25 pm

Retake for HYS or $$. Get a tutor /lesson. Many points left on the table. Have a 3.6 and $-$$ to CCN myself and you could do alot better ! Good luck

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:33 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Some will still advise the retake here, but if you've already retaken once and are excellent on LG, I think you could justify not doing so again. So, putting aside the retake, is a 15.9% BL+FC difference in favor of Penn worth 85k? I'd say yes.
OP, please don't listen to 0L's. You should retake/reapply. If you absolutely must go to law school, you should try to continue to negotiate, even if they say no six times in a row, they won't rescind your offer and once you commit to a school, you'll never see admissions again. If the money doesn't change AND you absolutely must go to law school, then Penn is definitely not worth $85,000 more than Michigan.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:34 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Some will still advise the retake here, but if you've already retaken once and are excellent on LG, I think you could justify not doing so again. So, putting aside the retake, is a 15.9% BL+FC difference in favor of Penn worth 85k? I'd say yes.
I suggest the opposite of everything in here.
Retake and if not, Michigan.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:36 pm

Rigo wrote:
I'm softer on the retake, but why Michigan over Penn? Are you just on the other side of cost/downside risk analysis or is there some other factor?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:37 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
Rigo wrote:
I'm softer on the retake, but why Michigan over Penn? Are you just on the other side of cost/downside risk analysis or is there some other factor?
Other side of cost/downside risk.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:40 pm

presidentspivey wrote:Some will still advise the retake here , but if you've already retaken once and are excellent on LG, I think you could justify not doing so again. So, putting aside the retake, is a 15.9% BL+FC difference in favor of Penn worth 85k? I'd say yes.

Keynes

New

Post by Keynes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:57 pm

Could someone get a bit more into the how of a successful retake? What types of jobs do people get for a year that allow for the energy after work to effectively study for 2-3 hours? Maybe it was because I was teaching but studying in the evening was incredibly challenging.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:08 pm

Keynes wrote:Could someone get a bit more into the how of a successful retake? What types of jobs do people get for a year that allow for the energy after work to effectively study for 2-3 hours?
Think of it this way: an increase of 5 or 6 points could cut $100K - 200K off your COA. It's like you're getting paid hundreds of dollars an hour to study for the LSAT.

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:57 am

You must retake. You're paying too much to attend those schools with a 3.9 gpa.

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:32 pm

presidentspivey wrote:
Rigo wrote:
B/C $270k in debt is insane and totally not advisable. Stop giving people advice, seriously. Your post is ban-worthy.

OP, you have to retake. Both of these costs are about twice what you'd pay with even 5 extra questions right. And you will have other T13 options as well. Don't take on an extra hundred grand in debt just because.

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Sat Apr 29, 2017 8:39 pm

How did you study? Only those twenty five practice tests? I would retake and invest in a class or tutoring. I know it's expensive, but it's a good investment if you are already at 165 with just doing twenty five practice tests.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Keynes

New

Post by Keynes » Sat Apr 29, 2017 10:42 pm

tinyvessels wrote:How did you study? Only those twenty five practice tests? I would retake and invest in a class or tutoring. I know it's expensive, but it's a good investment if you are already at 165 with just doing twenty five practice tests.
For September '16 - LG Bible and took practice tests. Started studying in June, probably did 10 hours a week in June and July, August I got distracted with personal stuff. Got a 164.

For December '16 - Did a bit of 7sage, blind reviewed some, did the LR Bible. Got a 161 after bombing the games, knew I should have cancelled but didn't.

What should I do differently if I decide to retake? I remember averaging about -4 on LR, -1 or -2 on LG, and -7 on RC.

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:28 pm

Keynes wrote:
tinyvessels wrote:How did you study? Only those twenty five practice tests? I would retake and invest in a class or tutoring. I know it's expensive, but it's a good investment if you are already at 165 with just doing twenty five practice tests.
For September '16 - LG Bible and took practice tests. Started studying in June, probably did 10 hours a week in June and July, August I got distracted with personal stuff. Got a 164.

For December '16 - Did a bit of 7sage, blind reviewed some, did the LR Bible. Got a 161 after bombing the games, knew I should have cancelled but didn't.

What should I do differently if I decide to retake? I remember averaging about -4 on LR, -1 or -2 on LG, and -7 on RC.
people here rag on the classes, but honestly you seem like you might benefit from some additional structure and accountability
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Mon May 01, 2017 10:35 am

With a 3.9 and your only options leaving you $200k in debt, you would be crazy not to retake

tinyvessels

Bronze

Post by tinyvessels » Mon May 01, 2017 5:24 pm

Keynes wrote:

Umm, okay, full disclosure I'm not the best person to ask about increasing an LSAT score. But I was able to increase around fifteen points with blueprint. That being said, my diagnostic was probably lower than yours so even with such a big increase, I my score was still not where I would have wanted it to be.

Since you're already doing well on games for the most part, maybe look into a couple hours of private tutoring to focus on your weak areas because the Blueprint course might be a little slow for you since they very much focus on getting the basics for logic games and logical reasoning down. FWIW, I'm the opposite of you in that my best section has always been RC, and worst was, and still is, LG so the prep course helped me.

You can PM me if you want to talk more about taking a course, etc.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon May 01, 2017 6:13 pm

Feel free to PM me, but I believe the key to unlocking RC is mastering LR.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Mon May 01, 2017 6:41 pm

I also think you should retake, but did you get a bigger scholarship anywhere else?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Mon May 01, 2017 7:17 pm

Rigo wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”