Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
dabigchina

Gold

Re: Ruby from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Post by dabigchina » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:29 pm

Alexandros wrote:
dabigchina wrote:http://www.law.uchicago.edu/news/inside ... class-2017

Here are some Ruby recipients. Check out what they are doing, OP.

Also, just for my own gratification, does the Rubenstein come with a COL stipend as well?
... That's a fed clerkship rate of 71%. Damn.
Majority of them are COA or in desireable districts too.

I had no idea Chicago placed so well in the 9th cir. Chicago is doing a good job with these people.

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:40 pm

Mr. Blackacre wrote:
SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I think Ruby is the best possible LS outcome by a decent margin.
Should be a no-brainer.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:54 pm

dabigchina wrote: I had no idea Chicago placed so well in the 9th cir.
It generally doesn't. These Ruby scholars really stand out.

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:53 pm

Ruby...Congrats

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:54 pm

Lordcarnus123 wrote:
Npret wrote:Ruby
Defend.
Substantially similar opportunities with far fewer limitations imposed by finances. If you decline the Ruby you will be dooming yourself to years of loan payments for little to no perceivable upside. The Rubenstein is the best law school outcome. Its a huge deal. Take it and never look back.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:55 pm

SeewhathappensLarry wrote:
guybourdin wrote:I think Ruby is the best possible LS outcome by a decent margin.

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:17 pm

It is a superb opportunity. Full need to YSH however is the best possible.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:21 pm

shadowfax wrote:It is a superb opportunity. Full need to YSH however is the best possible.
That's still $150k+ in debt.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:22 pm

Npret wrote:
Rigo wrote:
magnum_law wrote:Majority of those Ruby recipients look like aspies tho. OP better go 2 HLS
OP was sure to hit us with ceteris paribus so Chicago might be a good fit.
Also,
"Defend."
could go either way though
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 3:36 pm

shadowfax wrote:It is a superb opportunity. Full need to YSH however is the best possible.
even by this logic, full need to yale is the best possible. and that's not on the table.

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:03 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
even by this logic, full need to yale is the best possible. and that's not on the table.
At the Climate Rally in DC (record warmth... who says nature doesn't have a sense of humor) so I guess i'm feeling very small d... democratic at the moment. I'll bet half the named scholly winners don't even need the money. Kind of like hearing that Zuckerburg wins the state lotto. Interesting but somehow not cosmically just. Yale need based would be life altering for someone who truly needs it. Anyway back to the barricades.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm

shadowfax wrote:
jbagelboy wrote:
At the Climate Rally in DC (record warmth... who says nature doesn't have a sense of humor) so I guess i'm feeling very small d... democratic at the moment. I'll bet half the named scholly winners don't even need the money. Kind of like hearing that Zuckerburg wins the state lotto. Interesting but somehow not cosmically just. Yale need based would be life altering for someone who truly needs it. Anyway back to the barricades.
This is pretty much nonsensical, but bravo on attending the march so all is forgiven. I'm walking alongside the march right now as well, ironically. Perhaps we'll share some unwitting glances. And yes its quite sticky today.
Last edited by jbagelboy on Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:15 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

shadowfax

Bronze

Post by shadowfax » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:17 pm

I was responding to this general statement. Nothing more. I already said Ruby for the op. No brainer.

I've stated before that only HYS offer the right kind of aid. The rest is bullshit.

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:36 pm

Ruby seems like the obvious answer. If you are still leaning Harvard, why not elaborate why? That way people can address any specific concerns you have.

QuentonCassidy

Silver

Post by QuentonCassidy » Sat Apr 29, 2017 4:41 pm

Shadowfax you've got a pretty weird schtick going on, but w/e.

OP, I want to tack on my congratulations and pile on the advice of taking the Ruby and never looking back. A couple of things that too often get overlooked are that even if someone gets max aid at H they still have to take out loans of $48k every year, and that if you plan on working at a firm 1L and/or 2L summer you can kiss most of your grant aid goodbye. Even for someone getting full grant aid at H, Ruby saves at least 150k and likely much more. Difference in outcomes from H and Chi are marginal at most; take the money and run.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sat Apr 29, 2017 6:31 pm

Yhs need aid is flame. No matter how poor you were, you aren't after you go to yhs.
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Mr_Chukes

Silver

Post by Mr_Chukes » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:01 am

If you don't take that Ruby and run OP there is seriously something wrong with you.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:10 am

QuentonCassidy wrote:Shadowfax you've got a pretty weird schtick going on, but w/e.

OP, I want to tack on my congratulations and pile on the advice of taking the Ruby and never looking back. A couple of things that too often get overlooked are that even if someone gets max aid at H they still have to take out loans of $48k every year, and that if you plan on working at a firm 1L and/or 2L summer you can kiss most of your grant aid goodbye. Even for someone getting full grant aid at H, Ruby saves at least 150k and likely much more. Difference in outcomes from H and Chi are marginal at most; take the money and run.
OP, this is now two current Harvard students telling you you'd be dumb to take 200K+ in loans to go to Harvard when you can go to Chicago for free. Harvard is not 200K+ better.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:18 am

Npret wrote:Ruby

Lordcarnus123

New

Post by Lordcarnus123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:23 pm

enoca wrote:Ruby seems like the obvious answer. If you are still leaning Harvard, why not elaborate why? That way people can address any specific concerns you have.
Fair. Off the top of my head why HLS isn't completely out of the picture:
1. Quarter system/semester system, and grades. At HLS everybody sounded a lot more relaxed about them, whereas Chicago students emphasized to me how stressed the rhythm of the quarter and fine differentiation in final grade made everyone.
2. Honestly, the name. This is not me willfully ignoring peoples' notions that the H brand provides marginal lift at best. Rather, I've only seen it taken as a given on TLS that HLS is hardly ever worth it. So I'm asking for an affirmative argument for the following: any long-term career benefit of H over C is marginal at best. Exactly how is it marginal, and what do these margins look like?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:27 pm

Lordcarnus123 wrote:
enoca wrote:Ruby seems like the obvious answer. If you are still leaning Harvard, why not elaborate why? That way people can address any specific concerns you have.
1. Quarter system/semester system, and grades. At HLS everybody sounded a lot more relaxed about them, whereas Chicago students emphasized to me how stressed the rhythm of the quarter and fine differentiation in final grade made everyone.
2. Honestly, the name. This is not me willfully ignoring peoples' notions that the H brand provides marginal lift at best. Rather, I've only seen it taken as a given on TLS that HLS is hardly ever worth it. So I'm asking for an affirmative argument for the following: any long-term career benefit of H over C is marginal at best. Exactly how is it marginal, and what do these margins look like?
the margin is small, and it becomes smaller approaching zero the further out you are from school and getting your first job.

fyi, practicing attorney

Lordcarnus123

New

Post by Lordcarnus123 » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:28 pm

jbagelboy wrote:
Lordcarnus123 wrote:
the margin is small, and it becomes smaller approaching zero the further out you are from school and getting your first job.

fyi, practicing attorney
Right, can you elaborate a bit? Also, are you in biglaw? I understand if biglaw is the goal then no question take the money and run.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:51 pm

Lordcarnus123 wrote:
Go to Harvard.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:54 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Lordcarnus123 wrote:
Go to Harvard.
Free up that Ruby for someone who fully realizes the value of the offer they have in hand.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”