Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
HonestlyThough

Bronze

Re: Fully from left field... HLS vs Chicago?

Post by HonestlyThough » Thu May 11, 2017 1:11 pm

rpupkin wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:I've noticed that many TLSers recommend people turn down Chicago at sticker for full rides at, say, cornell or some other low ranked t13/14/15.
Many of those same people give the opposite advice if the choice is Havard at sticker vs. a full ride at those low t13s.
Doesn't this suggest most TLSers thing Harvard is worth hundreds of thousands more than Chicago?
Although I earlier faulted the hive for being harsh, now it's my turn to be mean: How did you break 160 on the LSAT with such poor logical reasoning skills?
Y'all are incredible. I don't need to tout my LSAT score to know that my ability to reason is just fine. With some of you, I'm a bit worried about those reading comprehension scores, though.

To clarify the above comment, I've been reading the choosing a school threads and came across one where someone was advised to take a 12-15 ranked school at full ride over Chicago when the difference in payment would have been around $120K. AKA Chi wasn't worth $120K more. I saw several threads where people were advised to take Havard at full debt over full rides, meaning it was worth $250-330K more than those schools, giving it a pretty good value gap over Chi according to people who weren't being asked to compare Chi to H. I'm not saying their evaluations are accurate, I'm mostly just pointing out how the advice of TLSers seems to defy logical consistency and reason.

I'm curious, though, are any of you willing to share where you're attending? I'm hoping very few of you are at either of chicago or harvard, as I hope to not have to tolerate your better-than-thou, smarter-than-thou, condescending, know-it-all, bullying attitudes through all of law school. Most of y'all are neither nice nor pleasant. Does being a dick usually get people to listen to you in your normal life? Y'all must have some interesting interpersonal relationships.

thank you to those of you that participated because you actually were willing to share things and ask questions and push me to consider other issues. Had a great talk last night with a chicago student who was really helpful and balanced in their advice.

To the rest of you, I hope this thread provided some sort of anger relief where you could call a stranger on the internet stupid? idk. you do you

checking out.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu May 11, 2017 2:39 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:TI saw several threads where people were advised to take Havard at full debt over full rides, meaning it was worth $250-330K more than those schools, giving it a pretty good value gap over Chi according to people who weren't being asked to compare Chi to H.
Because this guy is apparently done, would anyone care to point to which threads these are? I'd love to see which terrible comparison he's drawing.

Phil Brooks

Bronze

Post by Phil Brooks » Thu May 11, 2017 3:03 pm

My hat's off to OP. In one final post he managed to combine prestige whoring, a persecution complex, and a laughable lack of self awareness (calling other people condescending while going to Harvard because he was "more impressed" by the people there).

Please let us know in 13 years what your financial situation is like and if you did in fact follow your stated goals.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu May 11, 2017 3:07 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
HonestlyThough wrote:TI saw several threads where people were advised to take Havard at full debt over full rides, meaning it was worth $250-330K more than those schools, giving it a pretty good value gap over Chi according to people who weren't being asked to compare Chi to H.
Because this guy is apparently done, would anyone care to point to which threads these are? I'd love to see which terrible comparison he's drawing.
I have no idea which threads are being referenced, but I would bet good money that either: (a) this poster is misremembering/misinterpreting them; (b) the threads involved an OP with unicorn goals and a ton of family money; or (c) the threads got shadowfaxed.

Alexandros

Platinum

Post by Alexandros » Thu May 11, 2017 3:26 pm

Last edited by Alexandros on Fri Jun 09, 2017 11:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu May 11, 2017 3:28 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:bullying
lol

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Thu May 11, 2017 4:06 pm

shadowfax wrote:Why would it surprise you? They have a very prestigious and generous donor and they want the program to continue. Showing how well the program is working serves almost everyone's purpose. At the levels of schools and the incoming stats we are discussing here... let's face it we are interchangeable parts. It comes down to an introduction here a recommendation there. How these positions are filled is somewhat amorphous and whoever gets them is by definition highly qualified. If it serves more than one purpose whats wrong with that? Most of the awards I was offered suggested strongly that it be kept quiet. I can think of a lot of good reasons for that approach. I can say without reservation that once in law school what someone was paying never came up.

By the way... Take the Ruby...
"Institutional support" tends to be a meaningless concept at top schools insofar as it's really a stand-in for good recs from the right profs. As you know, at the relevant schools there isn't a clerkship committee serving as a gatekeeper on which apps to push. If tomorrow HLS instituted a full scholly program, lets call it the Redstone or whatever, I'm sure it'd be a nice feather in the cap for those who got it. But I'd suspect that to the only people who matter--the profs with pull--these are some things that still would matter more:

Grades
Law Review
Good RA work
Performance in prof's class
Prestige softs / other grad work
Cool softs

You also have to pick a position and stick with it. Either the Ruby's "institutional support" is just about supplying a recommendation or introduction that supposedly makes a difference, in which case I'd respond that it doesn't do much at all. Or it's about grabbing you by the shoulders and putting in a 2/9/DC chambers. Which no one else is suggesting is remotely true.

WheninLaw

Silver

Post by WheninLaw » Thu May 11, 2017 4:12 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:I'm curious, though, are any of you willing to share where you're attending? I'm hoping very few of you are at either of chicago or harvard, as I hope to not have to tolerate your better-than-thou, smarter-than-thou, condescending, know-it-all, bullying attitudes through all of law school. Most of y'all are neither nice nor pleasant. Does being a dick usually get people to listen to you in your normal life? Y'all must have some interesting interpersonal relationships.
Out of curiosity, what did you expect? You asked a good question, received fantastic answers, gave poor and often incoherent responses, then called out the very people that wasted their time trying to help you.

I wish these threads had a disclaimer whereby OP said the decision is a foregone conclusion.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu May 11, 2017 4:14 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:I'm curious, though, are any of you willing to share where you're attending? I'm hoping very few of you are at either of chicago or harvard, as I hope to not have to tolerate your better-than-thou, smarter-than-thou, condescending, know-it-all, bullying attitudes through all of law school. Most of y'all are neither nice nor pleasant. Does being a dick usually get people to listen to you in your normal life? Y'all must have some interesting interpersonal relationships.
You know nothing about my intepersonal relationships.

I went to law school many years ago, and got into both Chicago and HLS. There are plenty of people like me at both schools. If you don't like it when people point out that you're wrong, or if you don't like snippiness in response to illogical arguments, find another profession.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu May 11, 2017 5:35 pm

omg

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu May 11, 2017 5:40 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:I hope to not have to tolerate your better-than-thou, smarter-than-thou, condescending, know-it-all, bullying attitudes through all of law school. Most of y'all are neither nice nor pleasant.
This is rich foreshadowing for someone either going to Harvard or Chicago.

mercymainbtw

Bronze

Post by mercymainbtw » Thu May 11, 2017 5:44 pm

odds OP is already a Harvard 1L?

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Sat May 13, 2017 2:53 pm

HonestlyThough wrote:Harvard covers [...] anything in the private sector that is law-related.
Well, that's certainly not true.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

A. Nony Mouse

Diamond

Post by A. Nony Mouse » Sun May 14, 2017 1:26 am

quiver wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
I have no idea which threads are being referenced, but I would bet good money that either: (a) this poster is misremembering/misinterpreting them; (b) the threads involved an OP with unicorn goals and a ton of family money; or (c) the threads got shadowfaxed.
And also probably different people giving different advice. As much as people here reference the hivemind, it's hard to keep out all the heretics and maintain true ideological purity.

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Sun May 14, 2017 1:35 am

A. Nony Mouse wrote: And also probably different people giving different advice. As much as people here reference the hivemind, it's hard to keep out all the heretics and maintain true ideological purity.
TBF, the heretics are half the fun. I want (some of) them to stay.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Sun May 14, 2017 9:22 am

Was either OP ever going to do anything but go to Harvard and put us down for not agreeing?

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Mon May 22, 2017 5:20 pm

Npret wrote:Was either OP ever going to do anything but go to Harvard and put us down for not agreeing?
Do we know they chose H?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”