UW vs GW? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Shangrilala

New

UW vs GW?

Post by Shangrilala » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:24 am

Hi,
In terms of the ranking, both schools are the same and I like both schools.
I would like to hear if you have to choose between UW and GW, which you would choose?
I would like to practice law in NY eventually, but I went to undergrad in Washington and I am also interesting in practicing in WA...
So little info, but any opinion would be appreciated :(

guynourmin

Gold

Re: UW vs GW?

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:28 am

Fordham not an option?

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Apr 28, 2017 8:29 am

Also, like, don't worry about rankings; what's your COA; stats? What do you want to do in NYC job-wise? Etc. Don't worry about rankings.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:43 am

It's hard to reconcile both NYC and Seattle goals. The only way to have any decent shot at practicing in Washington state is UW. However, you aren't going to get to NYC with UW. OTOH, GWU isn't good for NYC either.

How much total debt are you looking at for each?

rozes

New

Post by rozes » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:57 am

Rigo wrote:It's hard to reconcile both NYC and Seattle goals. The only way to have any decent shot at practicing in Washington state is UW. However, you aren't going to get to NYC with UW. OTOH, GWU isn't good for NYC either.

How much total debt are you looking at for each?
+1. Rankings don't matter an iota here. UW is the Harvard of WA, but it's hard to get to California, let alone NY, from there. GW is good for the DC/VA/MD area, but it's gonna be harder to get to NY from there as well.

You effectively gotta value how much you actually wanna remain in Seattle. If it's anything less than "I would love it", you should probably take GW (obviously assuming equal COA).

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:33 pm

GW: 36% biglaw/fedclerkship, places 35-40% of grads to each of NYC and DC (the two largest legal markets), chance for Seattle with top grades

UW: 19% BL/FC, places mainly in Seattle (not a top 10 legal market)

assuming similar costs, seems like a no-brainer to me...

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:44 pm

Unless your committed to the Pacific Northwest, or to a lesser extent, the West Coast, you should probably take GW. UW has great name recognition/prestige in WA/OR/ID, and a small cohort heads to California every year.

If you want NY/DC ---> GW

If you want PNW ---> UW

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Apr 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Okay let's get the costs first before we wholeheartedly recommend one over the other. GWU could be sticker here.

TakeItToTrial

Bronze

Post by TakeItToTrial » Fri Apr 28, 2017 1:17 pm

Rigo wrote:Okay let's get the costs first before we wholeheartedly recommend one over the other. GWU could be sticker here.
True, my advice assumes COA is relatively equal.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Fri Apr 28, 2017 10:05 pm

Thank you all for the advice!
The cost would be about the same for me...
So I guess I have to decide where to practice law now.
What about transferring?
If I want to transfer to a school in NY, does geographic factor matter?

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:18 pm

btw, I have not heard back from Fordham yet...how did you know I applied there too? :oops:
If I am accepted in Fordham, should I go there instead of GW if I would like to practice law in NY ?
It seems people agree that ranking does not matter, but I also heard we should enter a school within 30 so...I'm not sure now :(

Mr. Blackacre

Bronze

Post by Mr. Blackacre » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:35 pm

If your ultimate goal is to practice in NY and you're accepted at Fordham, there's no reason to consider the other two. Fordham places basically just as well as GW, but is New York centric and will give you a much better chance at a good job in New York.

That being said, both schools will take a lot of money from you and give you something like 1/3 chance at getting that money back. What were your stats? How many times did you take the LSAT? Scholarships at any of the schools, and how are you paying for the rest? Personally, I would not attend either of GW/UW/Fordham without a full scholarship unless I had my cost of living paid for through savings or a guaranteed job at graduation.

Finally, thinking of transferring should NEVER be a factor in your school choice. Only the best of the 1L class usually transfers, and you can't know where you'll be before you start. No matter how smart, or good at the law, you think you are.

Shangrilala

New

Post by Shangrilala » Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:01 am

Mr. Blackacre wrote:If your ultimate goal is to practice in NY and you're accepted at Fordham, there's no reason to consider the other two. Fordham places basically just as well as GW, but is New York centric and will give you a much better chance at a good job in New York.

That being said, both schools will take a lot of money from you and give you something like 1/3 chance at getting that money back. What were your stats? How many times did you take the LSAT? Scholarships at any of the schools, and how are you paying for the rest? Personally, I would not attend either of GW/UW/Fordham without a full scholarship unless I had my cost of living paid for through savings or a guaranteed job at graduation.

Finally, thinking of transferring should NEVER be a factor in your school choice. Only the best of the 1L class usually transfers, and you can't know where you'll be before you start. No matter how smart, or good at the law, you think you are.
Thank you.
I guess I have to see Fordham's decision first then...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:31 am

Shangrilala wrote:Thank you all for the advice!
The cost would be about the same for me...
So I guess I have to decide where to practice law now.
What about transferring?
If I want to transfer to a school in NY, does geographic factor matter?
But what is the actual cost?

"About the same" could mean that you're paying $50k or that you're paying $250k. If it's the latter, don't go to either.

And you cannot plan on transferring. If you don't want to graduate from either of these schools, then don't go to either.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”