GULC$$$ vs Duke$$ Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
thk29

New

GULC$$$ vs Duke$$

Post by thk29 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:20 pm

So right now I am deciding between an opportunity scholarship at GULC (157.5k or 52.5k/year) and a 105k or 35k/year scholarship at Duke. I am interested in clerking and would prefer a to work in a mid sized to big law firm, but am not opposed to the idea of working in a smaller firm or government as long as my debt is not overwhelming. Is Duke worth around 50k (probably a bit less due to COL difference) more than GULC? Have to decide by Monday so some advice would be appreciated :)

magnum_law

Bronze

Re: GULC$$$ vs Duke$$

Post by magnum_law » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:31 pm

51% landed BL/FC last year at Gtown.

77.7% at Duke.

Easy answer.

meeseeks

Silver

Post by meeseeks » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:35 pm

I would also take Duke for 105k

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:39 pm

Duke.

Congrats on the amazing options and the generous scholarships being offered to you! Feel proud of yourself in this moment.

thk29

New

Post by thk29 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:45 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:Duke.

Congrats on the amazing options and the generous scholarships being offered to you! Feel proud of yourself in this moment.
Thank you! I am very grateful for both of these options and realize that I am extremely fortunate to be in this position, and I appreciate your advice and that of everyone on here.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:12 pm

Duke

usn26

Silver

Post by usn26 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:43 pm

Duke.

thk29

New

Post by thk29 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:31 pm

Consensus seems to be Duke, I expected as much, especially considering their stellar employment prospects this year. However, I am still torn for a couple reasons, A. DC is more convenient because I likely will not have a vehicle to bring to school and supposedly Duke is a school where a vehicle is required (however if people know ways around this please chime in!) and I will not have a vehicle to bring with me to school. And B. Because I am very tantalized by the idea of graduating from a top ranking school for possibly less than 6 figures in debt. However I am at this point leaning toward Duke, if it weren't for the vehicle situation it would be more of a slam dunk.. if anyone familiar with the area could clarify I would be very grateful! Do I absolutely need a car or could I manage with a bicycle in Durham?

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:48 pm

Choose Duke. More than 3/4ths of their students had an optimal outcome and you're attending at a reasonable price.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:27 pm

Duke.

ithrowds

Bronze

Post by ithrowds » Thu Apr 27, 2017 7:04 pm

thk29 wrote:Consensus seems to be Duke, I expected as much, especially considering their stellar employment prospects this year. However, I am still torn for a couple reasons, A. DC is more convenient because I likely will not have a vehicle to bring to school and supposedly Duke is a school where a vehicle is required (however if people know ways around this please chime in!) and I will not have a vehicle to bring with me to school. And B. Because I am very tantalized by the idea of graduating from a top ranking school for possibly less than 6 figures in debt. However I am at this point leaning toward Duke, if it weren't for the vehicle situation it would be more of a slam dunk.. if anyone familiar with the area could clarify I would be very grateful! Do I absolutely need a car or could I manage with a bicycle in Durham?
You can definitely walk from a couple of different apartments in Durham (Trinity Commons/Lofts at Lakeview). Its a 15 minute walk from there to the law school. Those are definitely nicer apartment complexes though, so you should be prepared to pay around ~1,000+/month for a single there or 900ish per person for a 2BR (expensive for Durham standards lol, I pay about 500 a month). For the most part, those are the students I know who walk to school, I know there are some that bike to school from smaller apartment complexes in the area, but don't know any personally.

thk29

New

Post by thk29 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 11:23 am

ithrowds wrote:
thk29 wrote:Consensus seems to be Duke, I expected as much, especially considering their stellar employment prospects this year. However, I am still torn for a couple reasons, A. DC is more convenient because I likely will not have a vehicle to bring to school and supposedly Duke is a school where a vehicle is required (however if people know ways around this please chime in!) and I will not have a vehicle to bring with me to school. And B. Because I am very tantalized by the idea of graduating from a top ranking school for possibly less than 6 figures in debt. However I am at this point leaning toward Duke, if it weren't for the vehicle situation it would be more of a slam dunk.. if anyone familiar with the area could clarify I would be very grateful! Do I absolutely need a car or could I manage with a bicycle in Durham?
You can definitely walk from a couple of different apartments in Durham (Trinity Commons/Lofts at Lakeview). Its a 15 minute walk from there to the law school. Those are definitely nicer apartment complexes though, so you should be prepared to pay around ~1,000+/month for a single there or 900ish per person for a 2BR (expensive for Durham standards lol, I pay about 500 a month). For the most part, those are the students I know who walk to school, I know there are some that bike to school from smaller apartment complexes in the area, but don't know any personally.
Thanks for the info, I'm going to take a look at Zillow and see if there is anything reasonable within walking distance.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”