Mich vs Berk Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
rpupkin

Platinum

Re: Mich vs Berk

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:02 pm

gilbilya wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
gilbilya wrote:By that I mean roughly half of the JDs I know live outside of Berkeley and they normally don't hang out around school after class.
I really doubt Berkeley is unusual in this regard. At SLS, many 2Ls and 3Ls live in SF, and those that don't aren't hanging around the law school all day. Any law school in a metro area--which I think includes all the top law schools except Yale, Michigan, UVA, and Cornell--will have that dynamic.

ETA: Also, there's no way that over half of Berkeley Law students live outside of Berkeley. I don't believe that your sample of acquaintances is representative.
I was merely pointing out the dynamic and in no way saying that it is unusual (no idea how you sniffed that out).
You characterized Berkeley as a "semi-commuter school," which is not a descriptor that most would apply to a top law school. That's why folks are making the inference that you were describing a unique/unusual feature of Berkeley Law.

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:
gilbilya wrote:
rpupkin wrote:
gilbilya wrote:By that I mean roughly half of the JDs I know live outside of Berkeley and they normally don't hang out around school after class.
I really doubt Berkeley is unusual in this regard. At SLS, many 2Ls and 3Ls live in SF, and those that don't aren't hanging around the law school all day. Any law school in a metro area--which I think includes all the top law schools except Yale, Michigan, UVA, and Cornell--will have that dynamic.

ETA: Also, there's no way that over half of Berkeley Law students live outside of Berkeley. I don't believe that your sample of acquaintances is representative.
I was merely pointing out the dynamic and in no way saying that it is unusual (no idea how you sniffed that out).
You characterized Berkeley as a "semi-commuter school," which is not a descriptor that most would apply to a top law school. That's why folks are making the inference that you were describing a unique/unusual feature of Berkeley Law.
Totes agree with pupkin. 'tis the norm. I guarantee that at UCLA a majority of law students do not live in Westwood and at HLS a majority do not live in Cambridge.

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:11 pm

rpupkin wrote:
gilbilya wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

well the reason why I said it was a"semi-commuter" school was that the number of commuters hadn't risen to the level of a commuter school but I didn't say it was unique and I acknowledged that commuting was a norm among many law schools. that said, OP is comparing between Berkeley and Mich so I reckon it is a dinstinction worth pointing out.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:14 pm

gilbilya wrote: well the reason why I said it was a"semi-commuter" school was that the number of commuters hadn't risen to the level of a commuter school but I didn't say it was unique and I acknowledged that commuting was a norm among many law schools.
You actually didn't acknowledge the bolded in your "semi-commuter school" post, but whatever. I think OP gets your point, such as it is.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:15 pm

You stated you more closely identify with the social justice culture at Berkeley. Not entirely sure that's the best reason for choosing a law school as opposed to undergrad but it is not a bad reason. Enjoy and do good.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 5:20 pm

gilbilya wrote:
rpupkin wrote:

I was merely pointing out the dynamic and in no way saying that it is unusual (no idea how you sniffed that out). Well I currently go there as an llm and I take classes (also live) with JDs. I'd say more than 30% live in Oakland and there are also dozens of them living in other parts of the Bay Area. Whether or not you believe that is completely your business but I think I have hung around the school long enough to get a hinge of the housing situation.
Weirdly your post history would seem to indicate you just accepted at Michigan so I'm unsure about you currently being an LLM at Berkeley but umm, okay.

Not that this debate really matters all that much but I *do* go to Boalt and I wouldn't characterize it as a semi-commuter school. Yeah I live in Oakland... 2 miles away from campus. I could live in Berkeley and be further from campus. Everyone I know is in pretty much a 3 mile radius from school. 1Ls tend to live closer, 2Ls/3Ls do spread out a little more but in general the spread is not that big. There's not people commuting from like, Walnut Creek. But yeah you're right out of the 900+ people at the school, 'dozens' of them might live elsewhere in the Bay Area.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”