Mich vs Berk Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
LawTweet

Bronze

Mich vs Berk

Post by LawTweet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:35 pm

So I was pretty dead set on Michigan but my scholarship at Berkeley just increased significantly. I want to do public interest or plaintiff-side litigation (think employment discrimination type of work). I visited Michigan and liked it plenty. It didn't call my name or give me any sort of spiritual awakening but it seemed like a place I'd be content with. I didn't visit Berkeley because it was really expensive and I didn't know they'd give me this much money. I have a *feeling* I would like the culture and social justice focus of Berkeley more.

COA (incl outside scholarships) Berkeley: ~70k
COA (incl outside scholarships) Michigan: ~30k

GPA: 3.7x
LSAT: 170
Not URM
Strong softs

Nebby

Diamond

Re: Mich vs Berk

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:35 pm

Of the two Berkeley is a clear winner

Iwanttolawschool

Bronze

Post by Iwanttolawschool » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:37 pm

Nebby wrote:Of the two Berkeley is a clear winner
It is? it's 40k extra for...what? Weather I suppose.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:41 pm

LawTweet wrote:So I was pretty dead set on Michigan but my scholarship at Berkeley just increased significantly. I want to do public interest or plaintiff-side litigation (think employment discrimination type of work). I visited Michigan and liked it plenty. It didn't call my name or give me any sort of spiritual awakening but it seemed like a place I'd be content with. I didn't visit Berkeley because it was really expensive and I didn't know they'd give me this much money. I have a *feeling* I would like the culture and social justice focus of Berkeley more.

Not URM
Strong softs
Where do you want to work? Can you confirm that you're saying in three years you'll have 70k debt at Cal or 30k at Mich? Are you including COL in your COA estimates?

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Nebby wrote:
LawTweet wrote:So I was pretty dead set on Michigan but my scholarship at Berkeley just increased significantly. I want to do public interest or plaintiff-side litigation (think employment discrimination type of work). I visited Michigan and liked it plenty. It didn't call my name or give me any sort of spiritual awakening but it seemed like a place I'd be content with. I didn't visit Berkeley because it was really expensive and I didn't know they'd give me this much money. I have a *feeling* I would like the culture and social justice focus of Berkeley more.

Not URM
Strong softs
Where do you want to work? Can you confirm that you're saying in three years you'll have 70k debt at Cal or 30k at Mich? Are you including COL in your COA estimates?
My family is all across the east coast so I have preference for working back that way but I'm not tied to it. And yes, the COA takes COL into account and is over three years, not per year. I used both schools' metrics in determining this.
Last edited by LawTweet on Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:42 pm

Okay in that case I change my answer to Michigan.

LawTweet

Bronze

Post by LawTweet » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:44 pm

Nebby wrote:Okay in that case I change my answer to Michigan.
Can you elaborate on the rationale?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:45 pm

LawTweet wrote:
Nebby wrote:Okay in that case I change my answer to Michigan.
Can you elaborate on the rationale?
Berkeley and Michigan offer similar placement power in PI and Michigan is cheaper.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:47 pm

I'd go Michigan. $40k less in COA is a big difference, and they're comparable schools in terms of employment outcomes. And although I haven't looked too much into Berkeley so can't compare very well, Michigan does seem to have a strong PI culture.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:50 pm

half moon wrote:I'd go Michigan. $40k less in COA is a big difference, and they're comparable schools in terms of employment outcomes. And although I haven't looked too much into Berkeley so can't compare very well, Michigan does seem to have a strong PI culture.
I've learned not to assume too much of 0Ls on here--have you looked at the differences between LRAP programs at the two schools?

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Wed Apr 26, 2017 3:56 pm

SmokeytheBear wrote:
half moon wrote:I'd go Michigan. $40k less in COA is a big difference, and they're comparable schools in terms of employment outcomes. And although I haven't looked too much into Berkeley so can't compare very well, Michigan does seem to have a strong PI culture.
I've learned not to assume too much of 0Ls on here--have you looked at the differences between LRAP programs at the two schools?
Berkeley has a slightly better LRAP. However, $30k in debt is so low that it can be paid off fairly quickly w/ the financial contribution of Michigan LRAP + a little extra out of pocket.

It's a wash, imo.

michlaw

Bronze

Post by michlaw » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:32 pm

Someone should pose this scenario to Ann Coulter when she speaks at Berk.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:35 pm

michlaw wrote:Someone should pose this scenario to Ann Coulter when she speaks at Berk.
She cancelled so don't worry about seeing her at B anytime soon, OP. Although that doesn't matter because I vote for Michigan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Wed Apr 26, 2017 5:37 pm

Nebby wrote:
SmokeytheBear wrote:
Berkeley has a slightly better LRAP. However, $30k in debt is so low that it can be paid off fairly quickly w/ the financial contribution of Michigan LRAP + a little extra out of pocket.

It's a wash, imo.
Yeah total wash. Both are great options. I know I have been pushing Boalt quite a bit, but I will do it here again. Winter sucks.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Apr 26, 2017 6:03 pm

Michigan

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:42 am

Nebby wrote:It's a wash, imo.

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:34 am

Berkeley is a semi-commuter school so you won't get the same extent of collegiality as Mich. But Berkeley does have a strong social justice program.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Thu Apr 27, 2017 10:27 am

Mich
LawTweet wrote:
Nebby wrote:

Not URM
Strong softs
My family is all across the east coast so I have preference for working back that way but I'm not tied to it. And yes, the COA takes COL into account and is over three years, not per year. I used both schools' metrics in determining this.

katthegreat11

Bronze

Post by katthegreat11 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:41 pm

Last edited by katthegreat11 on Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

arose928

Bronze

Post by arose928 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:58 pm

gilbilya wrote:Berkeley is a semi-commuter school so you won't get the same extent of collegiality as Mich. But Berkeley does have a strong social justice program.
Semi-commuter school? huh?

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 1:59 pm

arose928 wrote:
gilbilya wrote:Berkeley is a semi-commuter school so you won't get the same extent of collegiality as Mich. But Berkeley does have a strong social justice program.
Yeah, that was a weird comment.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:05 pm

rpupkin wrote:
arose928 wrote:
I think he means an increase in the number of truck drivers enrolled.

Diversity initiative.

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:07 pm

rpupkin wrote:
arose928 wrote:
By that I mean roughly half of the JDs I know live outside of Berkeley and they normally don't hang out around school after class.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:19 pm

gilbilya wrote:By that I mean roughly half of the JDs I know live outside of Berkeley and they normally don't hang out around school after class.
I really doubt Berkeley is unusual in this regard. At SLS, many 2Ls and 3Ls live in SF, and those that don't aren't hanging around the law school all day. Any law school in a metro area--which I think includes all the top law schools except Yale, Michigan, UVA, and Cornell--will have that dynamic.

ETA: Also, there's no way that over half of Berkeley Law students live outside of Berkeley. I don't believe that your sample of acquaintances is representative.

gilbilya

New

Post by gilbilya » Thu Apr 27, 2017 2:41 pm

rpupkin wrote:
gilbilya wrote:By that I mean roughly half of the JDs I know live outside of Berkeley and they normally don't hang out around school after class.
I really doubt Berkeley is unusual in this regard. At SLS, many 2Ls and 3Ls live in SF, and those that don't aren't hanging around the law school all day. Any law school in a metro area--which I think includes all the top law schools except Yale, Michigan, UVA, and Cornell--will have that dynamic.

ETA: Also, there's no way that over half of Berkeley Law students live outside of Berkeley. I don't believe that your sample of acquaintances is representative.
I was merely pointing out the dynamic and in no way saying that it is unusual (no idea how you sniffed that out). Well I currently go there as an llm and I take classes (also live) with JDs. I'd say more than 30% live in Oakland and there are also dozens of them living in other parts of the Bay Area. Whether or not you believe that is completely your business but I think I have hung around the school long enough to get a hinge of the housing situation.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”