1 week left and still have no idea where to go (CLS ($) vs Chi ($) vs Mich ($$)) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

CLS ($) vs Chi ($) vs Mich ($$)

Columbia ($45,000)
14%
Chicago ($30,000)
8%
Michigan ($120,000)
78%

Total votes: 78

jasmineTT

New

1 week left and still have no idea where to go (CLS ($) vs Chi ($) vs Mich ($$))

Post by jasmineTT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:33 pm

Hello everyone! I am utterly stuck deciding between these 3 schools and need some help:

Columbia ($45,000): COA: $230K
Chicago ($30,000): COA: $222K
Michigan ($120,000): COA: $124K

The scholarships are in parentheses and total cost of attendance is listed. I did not factor in interest because I won't be taking out any loans. I have enough saved up to pay for my own cost of living and my family is loaning me the money needed to cover the rest of my tuition.

My goals are federal clerkship, big law in a big city (no geographical preference but long-term would like to end up in CA), then hopefully become an AUSA. I know most people here are extremely debt-averse so Michigan and its scholarship will probably be the popular choice here. But I know becoming an AUSA is a tough career path, which is why I'm leaning towards Chicago and Columbia.

I love NYC, kind of like Chicago, and super iffy about AA. Family loves Columbia (Asians are obsessed with Ivy Leagues) but we aren't rich so this would be a huge strain for them. Also been to both Columbia and Chicago and students were all super pleasant and cool but was that all for show?!

First deposits are due in less than a week help me please!!

cavalier1138

Re: 1 week left and still have no idea where to go (CLS ($) vs Chi ($) vs Mich ($$))

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:37 pm

Michigan.

About half of becoming an AUSA at a competitive office is being in the right place at the right time during the right kind of hiring cycle. I know a few NY attorneys who were planning on going that route and couldn't due to the last hiring freeze (and after it was done, they'd been in biglaw too long to be a good candidate). Columbia and Chicago give you a better shot at some of the firms that have more a of a direct pipeline to those offices, but it's not a $100k difference.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Re: 1 week left and still have no idea where to go (CLS ($) vs Chi ($) vs Mich ($$))

Post by Pure Applesauce » Tue Apr 25, 2017 1:40 pm

Chicago and Columbia both give you a better shot at your career goals, but the increase is not worth $100k in my opinion. I would take Michigan.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:16 pm

I think Chicago will put you in the best position of the three schools for what you want to do, but you will have to decide if you're okay with taking out the loans for it. Chicago's LRAP is quite generous and will be able to cover your loan payments while you clerk, and starting biglaw salaries out of Chicago hover at $180k not including bonuses; in short, you will have the means to pay back your loans, but it's still a significant investment.

KatCoco

New

Post by KatCoco » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:24 pm

armc808 wrote:I think Chicago will put you in the best position of the three schools for what you want to do, but you will have to decide if you're okay with taking out the loans for it. Chicago's LRAP is quite generous and will be able to cover your loan payments while you clerk, and starting biglaw salaries out of Chicago hover at $180k not including bonuses; in short, you will have the means to pay back your loans, but it's still a significant investment.
Dude, an LRAP program is not going to cover loans she took out from her parents.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:27 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:Chicago and Columbia both give you a better shot at your career goals, but the increase is not worth $100k in my opinion. I would take Michigan.
cavalier1138 wrote:Michigan.

About half of becoming an AUSA at a competitive office is being in the right place at the right time during the right kind of hiring cycle. I know a few NY attorneys who were planning on going that route and couldn't due to the last hiring freeze (and after it was done, they'd been in biglaw too long to be a good candidate). Columbia and Chicago give you a better shot at some of the firms that have more a of a direct pipeline to those offices, but it's not a $100k difference.
Thirded. OP, take Michigan and don't look back.

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 2:54 pm

KatCoco wrote:
armc808 wrote:I think Chicago will put you in the best position of the three schools for what you want to do, but you will have to decide if you're okay with taking out the loans for it. Chicago's LRAP is quite generous and will be able to cover your loan payments while you clerk, and starting biglaw salaries out of Chicago hover at $180k not including bonuses; in short, you will have the means to pay back your loans, but it's still a significant investment.
Dude, an LRAP program is not going to cover loans she took out from her parents.
Skimmed the OP while changing bus routes, didn't see that the loans would be coming from parents. OP would have to work how they'd pay back the loans with their parents, those details would be important in deciding whether it's worth it. Tbh I would rather owe my parents than owe the federal government, but I'm on good terms with my parents and I know they wouldn't charge me 6-7% interest.

I still stand by my original comment.

LoganCouture

Gold

Post by LoganCouture » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:03 pm

jasmineTT wrote:Family loves Columbia (Asians are obsessed with Ivy Leagues) but we aren't rich so this would be a huge strain for them.
Reason enough to take Michigan. It is an excellent school and a full $100K cheaper.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:35 pm

LoganCouture wrote:
jasmineTT wrote:Family loves Columbia (Asians are obsessed with Ivy Leagues) but we aren't rich so this would be a huge strain for them.
Reason enough to take Michigan. It is an excellent school and a full $100K cheaper.
Agreed, I would probably say Chicago/Columbia if he said his family is rich and this is pay as you go sort of repayment that wouldn't affect them. If this is a hardship for anyone involved the difference is not worth it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

SUPERCHEF

New

Post by SUPERCHEF » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:36 pm

jasmineTT wrote:Hello everyone! I am utterly stuck deciding between these 3 schools and need some help:

Columbia ($45,000): COA: $230K
Chicago ($30,000): COA: $222K
Michigan ($120,000): COA: $124K

The scholarships are in parentheses and total cost of attendance is listed. I did not factor in interest because I won't be taking out any loans. I have enough saved up to pay for my own cost of living and my family is loaning me the money needed to cover the rest of my tuition.

My goals are federal clerkship, big law in a big city (no geographical preference but long-term would like to end up in CA), then hopefully become an AUSA. I know most people here are extremely debt-averse so Michigan and its scholarship will probably be the popular choice here. But I know becoming an AUSA is a tough career path, which is why I'm leaning towards Chicago and Columbia.

I love NYC, kind of like Chicago, and super iffy about AA. Family loves Columbia (Asians are obsessed with Ivy Leagues) but we aren't rich so this would be a huge strain for them. Also been to both Columbia and Chicago and students were all super pleasant and cool but was that all for show?!

First deposits are due in less than a week help me please!!
Also interested in AUSA, and I've dug through some CVs, and it doesn't seem like they are overwhelmingly HYS or top-6, but a pretty good mix of top14/13 whatever. My guess which seems to be echoed by some of the above is that it'll depend a ton more on luck, your network, and your circumstances later in your career than where you go per se.

Also PMd.

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 25, 2017 3:38 pm

Michigan

jasmineTT

New

Post by jasmineTT » Tue Apr 25, 2017 4:58 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:
Agreed, I would probably say Chicago/Columbia if he said his family is rich and this is pay as you go sort of repayment that wouldn't affect them. If this is a hardship for anyone involved the difference is not worth it.
Thanks guys!! And yes it's a strain but they want me to go to Columbia even if it means paying more to be Ivy League educated (sorry parents for not being smart enough for a full ride). I love Chicago/Columbia but its just so. much. money. But I should be able to make enough in 3-4 years of big law to pay off a 150K 0% interest loan?

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:03 pm

jasmineTT wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:
Thanks guys!! And yes it's a strain but they want me to go to Columbia even if it means paying more to be Ivy League educated (sorry parents for not being smart enough for a full ride). I love Chicago/Columbia but its just so. much. money. But I should be able to make enough in 3-4 years of big law to pay off a 150K 0% interest loan?
Eh, 3-4 years at zero interest is possible but still going to be tough at the beginning. I would say 5 years is probably doable without having a hard life. You will want to max out your 401k, put some in savings, etc.

I haven't done it yet, but I heard that the golden handcuffs really suck a lot of income from people. You will be spending money at expensive restaurants, bars, clothes (all to fit in with biglaw coworkers). You will want to live in an expensive part of Manhattan (if NY) because commuting after that many hours is hell.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:23 pm

jasmineTT wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
LoganCouture wrote:
Why would you borrow more even if from your parents? Will they just give you the difference between Michigan and Columbia?
It sounds like you are going to Columbia in any case.

lymenheimer

Gold

Post by lymenheimer » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:29 pm

armc808 wrote: starting biglaw salaries out of Chicago hover at $180k not including bonuses
All market biglaw pays 180k you dildo. You can get it out of any T14. Its not a function of your school its a function of the market you choose.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:33 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
armc808 wrote: starting biglaw salaries out of Chicago hover at $180k not including bonuses
All market biglaw pays 180k you dildo. You can get it out of any T14. Its not a function of your school its a function of the market you choose.
Yeah, obviously a 0L that doesn't know how this works. OP, seriously go to Michigan and save the money

armc808

Bronze

Post by armc808 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 5:45 pm

lymenheimer wrote:
...and your point is? Didn't say OP couldn't get that from Mich; I said OP would certainly have the means to pay back their loans should they take them out to go to Chicago/Columbia. Money is obviously an important factor, but it sounds like an utterly dumb decision to invest six figures and 3 years of your life in a place you'd be absolutely miserable in just because it's "cheaper."

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:00 pm

armc808 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
...and your point is? Didn't say OP couldn't get that from Mich; I said OP would certainly have the means to pay back their loans should they take them out to go to Chicago/Columbia. Money is obviously an important factor, but it sounds like an utterly dumb decision to invest six figures and 3 years of your life in a place you'd be absolutely miserable in just because it's "cheaper."
Maybe I misunderstood by skimming. Isn't the difference $100,000?

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:01 pm

armc808 wrote: ... but it sounds like an utterly dumb decision to invest six figures and 3 years of your life in a place you'd be absolutely miserable in just because it's "cheaper."
a) don't get the scare quotes around "cheaper." 100k is a lot of money when you're asking your family to front that money (especially when they're not extraordinarily wealthy).

b) you don't invest six figures and 3 years in a place, you invest it in a degree that is a necessary tool to practicing law. a means to an end. and while there are differences in outcomes on the margins between the three schools, the wisdom of the actual practicing attorneys and current law students here and elsewhere is that those differences aren't worth 100k.

c) nobody is telling OP to be miserable - being iffy about a place and knowing for sure you'd hate it are two very different things. aa isn't as glamarous as nyc or chicago, for sure, but OP could potentially like it after going in with an open mind.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:09 pm

OP could easily be more miserable in biglaw with an extra $100,000 to repay than they would be attending Michigan for three years to save $100,000.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 6:35 pm

armc808 wrote:
lymenheimer wrote:
This is absurd. "Don't make an investment with a higher return just because it's a better investment." That's literally what you're saying, and it's fucking ridiculous.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:12 pm

What reasonable parent becomes so obsessed with an arbitrary distinction as being an Ivy League that they'd try to compel their child to take on an additional $100k of debt? That's patently absurd.

OP, you'd be better off taking out traditional loans and going to Michigan than getting interest free loans from your parents. It's sound investing, because you'd still be saving a ton of money to end up with the same outcome. Maybe it'll rankle your parents a bit, but you know what? They aren't the ones living with the debt, and you're deciding to be an adult and make adult decisions. This is a great opportunity to show your parents that they are being silly and just tell them you'd rather take out regular student loans because Michigan is the smarter investment in your future. Maybe then they'll treat you like an adult, because you're acting like one and making financially responsible decisions.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:06 pm

If you're not going onto qualifying employment we shouldn't really be talking about LRAP. If LRAP is a consideration, that's even more reason to do Columbia.

I agree that Michigan is the best option here though.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:18 pm

Definitely Michigan.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”