NYU ($) vs UVA ($) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
TLS_Dreamer

New

NYU ($) vs UVA ($)

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:00 am

NYU would cost $215k, UVA would cost $185k. On the 10 year standard repayment plan I'd pay $220k for NYU or $190k for UVA after paying $50k of my own savings. Financing with loans.

Want to practice biglaw in CA or TX (ties to each), strongly preferring Texas.

I was planning on going to UVA but visited NYU this weekend and was surprised how much I enjoyed the Village. Is NYU at all justifiable for someone who reeallllyy doesn't want PI or NYC biglaw?

Thanks all!
Last edited by TLS_Dreamer on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:06 am, edited 2 times in total.

Redfactor

Bronze

Re: NYU ($) vs UVA ($)

Post by Redfactor » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 am

Are there cheaper options?

I wouldn't take on that much debt for either of those schools... well any school really.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:36 am

Redfactor wrote:Are there cheaper options?
Unfortunately, no :(

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:43 am

Wait, is UVA $285k or $185k? Your numbers above about repayment are really confusing.

That said, if you're talking $215k at NYU vs. $185k at UVA, I vote UVA. I don't think NYU is worth $30k extra over UVA for TX or CA Biglaw (others might disagree, and this is really just a debt aversion point, no one can say how much more/if NYU is worth more for those goals).

All the above considered, that's a ton of money for either, and that much debt would make me queasy. I'd seriously consider finding a way to get cheaper options to weigh against these. Can you retake and reapply broadly while including UT and UCLA/USC for possibly cheaper options?

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:08 am

UVA2B wrote:Wait, is UVA $285k or $185k? Your numbers above about repayment are really confusing.

That said, if you're talking $215k at NYU vs. $185k at UVA, I vote UVA. I don't think NYU is worth $30k extra over UVA for TX or CA Biglaw (others might disagree, and this is really just a debt aversion point, no one can say how much more/if NYU is worth more for those goals).

All the above considered, that's a ton of money for either, and that much debt would make me queasy. I'd seriously consider finding a way to get cheaper options to weigh against these. Can you retake and reapply broadly while including UT and UCLA/USC for possibly cheaper options?

Thanks for catching that typo. $185k not $285k at UVA.

How much do you think fun should factor into a law school choice? NYU this weekend was just so enjoyable!

I could retake but am not really interested in waiting another year and am not really debt averse. If I do biglaw in Texas, my take home pay will be $140k first year, around $110k after COL so paying of $185k+ could happen pretty quickly.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:18 am

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
UVA2B wrote:Wait, is UVA $285k or $185k? Your numbers above about repayment are really confusing.

Thanks for catching that typo. $185k not $285k at UVA.

How much do you think fun should factor into a law school choice? NYU this weekend was just so enjoyable!

I could retake but am not really interested in waiting another year and am not really debt averse. If I do biglaw in Texas, my take home pay will be $140k first year, around $110k after COL so paying of $185k+ could happen pretty quickly.
What's your plan for getting biglaw in Texas? What will you do if biglaw in Texas continues to slow down? What is your repayment plan if you don't get biglaw

How many firms from Texas interview at OCI? How many students got biglaw SAs? Are Texas firms usually 100% offer rate? Do most Texas firms look for 1L SAs and hire them like other southern market?

As you can tell I only know about NYC. Other people here know Texas. I would research how likelt it is to get Texas biglaw from these schools. I know reading the forums that there are a number of local schools competing for these jobs as well.

I'm debt averse. I don't feel borrowing $200,000 which is what it may be by time of repayment assuming a biglaw job is smart without more research.

I agree NYU is more fun than Charlottesville Virginia but you have some specific job goals to consider. Also note that people who aren't natural city people start to get annoyed with NYC relatively quickly. They start complaining about the size of the apartment,how much everything costs, subway, noise, garbage, whatever. If you are a natural suburb kid don't count on loving NYC for long. Don't go to NYU just because you had a fun weekend in the city.
Last edited by Npret on Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:26 am

What happened to the duke option? I remember it being the cheapest of your options op so you aren't being truthful with everyone

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:30 am

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 5&start=50

Didn't read the thread but maybe OP missed deposit deadlines.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am

Npret wrote:What's your plan for getting biglaw in Texas? What will you do if biglaw in Texas continues to slow down? What is your repayment plan if you don't get biglaw

How many firms from Texas interview at OCI? How many students got biglaw SAs? Are Texas firms usually 100% offer rate? Do most Texas firms look for 1L SAs and hire them like other southern market?

As you can tell I only know about NYC. Other people here know Texas. I would research how likelt it is to get Texas biglaw from these schools. I know reading the forums that there are a number of local schools competing for these jobs as well.

I'm debt averse. I don't feel borrowing $200,000 which is what it may be by time of repayment assuming a biglaw job is smart without more research.

I agree NYU is more fun than Charlottesville Virginia but you have some specific job goals to consider. Also note that people who aren't natural city people start to get annoyed with NYC relatively quickly. They start complaining about the size of the apartment,how much everything costs, subway, noise, garbage, whatever. If you are a natural suburb kid don't count on loving NYC for long. Don't go to NYU just because you had a fun weekend in the city.
If biglaw in Texas slows down or dies I'd probably do biglaw in DC. If I don't get biglaw, I'd rely on LRAP from NYU/UVA but that's statistically unlikely.

20-25 Texas offices interview at OCI at NYU vs ~50 at UVA. about 90% get biglaw SA's at each school for those who apply to them. Texas firms do want 1L SAs.

I can get Texas biglaw from each school, but at UVA it's more of a sure thing than at NYU. At UVA, Texas is like the backup option. At NYU, lower-ranked NYC firms are the backup option.

If I haven't spent a ton of time in NYC is it too risky to go there? I really want to go back and visit -- I just freaking loved it. But like you said, it was only one weekend. Maybe if I were there for a month I'd start to hate it?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:31 am

grades?? wrote:What happened to the duke option? I remember it being the cheapest of your options op so you aren't being truthful with everyone
I decided Duke wouldn't make me as happy as UVA so narrowed it down to UVA/NYU. Got extensions from UVA/NYU but not Duke.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:52 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:
Npret wrote:What's your plan for getting biglaw in Texas? What will you do if biglaw in Texas continues to slow down? What is your repayment plan if you don't get biglaw

If biglaw in Texas slows down or dies I'd probably do biglaw in DC. If I don't get biglaw, I'd rely on LRAP from NYU/UVA but that's statistically unlikely.

20-25 Texas offices interview at OCI at NYU vs ~50 at UVA. about 90% get biglaw SA's at each school for those who apply to them. Texas firms do want 1L SAs.

I can get Texas biglaw from each school, but at UVA it's more of a sure thing than at NYU. At UVA, Texas is like the backup option. At NYU, lower-ranked NYC firms are the backup option.

If I haven't spent a ton of time in NYC is it too risky to go there? I really want to go back and visit -- I just freaking loved it. But like you said, it was only one weekend. Maybe if I were there for a month I'd start to hate it?
I lived in NYC my entire life so I'm not going to tell you not to come here. I'm just going by some people's experiences who end up complaining about e erythibg in NYC. But other people love the city and never want to leave.

I don't think D.C. Biglaw is a realistic backup plan because it's so competitive.

If you don't care about debt go wherever you will be happier I guess.

TLS_Dreamer

New

Post by TLS_Dreamer » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks so much! I went with UVA :)

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:07 pm

TLS_Dreamer wrote:Thanks so much! I went with UVA :)
Congrats on making a decision, and see you in the fall!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”