UIUC vs Wisconsin Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tigerhill

New

UIUC vs Wisconsin

Post by tigerhill » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:00 am

I've recently received admissions to both uiuc (105k)and wisconsin law (60k)with scholarships. I am hoping to transfer after 1L ,and retaking LSAT or reapplying is not an option. I know that UIUC's ranking has recently went low(44th) while wisconsin is little higher (31th). So I have trouble deciding where to go. Also, I wonder which school s offer higher chance for me to work in Chicago.

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Re: UIUC vs Wisconsin

Post by foregetaboutdre » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:08 am

tigerhill wrote:I've recently received admissions to both uiuc (105k)and wisconsin law (60k)with scholarships. I am hoping to transfer after 1L ,and retaking LSAT or reapplying is not an option. I know that UIUC's ranking has recently went low(44th) while wisconsin is little higher (31th). So I have trouble deciding where to go. Also, I wonder which school s offer higher chance for me to work in Chicago.
1. Don't going to law school with the intention of transferring. Lets say you get all B+s...you are MEDIAN. At median from these schools you can't transfer to even a T20.

2. Illinois is better for Chicago. UW has the benefit of not requiring a bar exam if you want to practice in WI.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:11 am

You should never count on transferring. Only go to a school from which you would be comfortable graduating. That's way too much debt for UIUC, so I'd throw that out right away. I don't feel particularly comfortable with that amount of debt from Wisconsin, either. What are your career goals? Why can't you retake?

RParadela

Silver

Post by RParadela » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:15 am

presidentspivey wrote:You should never count on transferring. Only go to a school from which you would be comfortable graduating. That's way too much debt for UIUC, so I'd throw that out right away. I don't feel particularly comfortable with that amount of debt from Wisconsin, either. What are your career goals? Why can't you retake?
I think the bracketed number is his/her scholarship awards from Wisconsin and UIUC. Judging by their employment numbers, UIUC is by far the best choice here, albeit not a particularly great one (still looking at 100k COA)

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 5:45 am

What are your career goals? Where do you want to work? LSAT/GPA?

And to echo everyone else: you can't go anywhere and plan on transferring. These schools are not good ideas at the current price, and depending on your goals, they may not be good choices at all.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chicagoburger

Bronze

Post by chicagoburger » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:11 am

cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals? Where do you want to work? LSAT/GPA?

And to echo everyone else: you can't go anywhere and plan on transferring. These schools are not good ideas at the current price, and depending on your goals, they may not be good choices at all.

35k/year award from UIUC is above their 75% scholarship offers.
You are saying UIUC is only worth going on a full scholarship. That's just ridiculous.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:18 am

chicagoburger wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals? Where do you want to work? LSAT/GPA?

35k/year award from UIUC is above their 75% scholarship offers.
You are saying UIUC is only worth going on a full scholarship. That's just ridiculous.
I'm saying that taking out over $100k in debt for UIUC is a bad idea, given the likely salary outcomes for graduates. Didn't you get banned?

JD_Kingfish

Bronze

Post by JD_Kingfish » Mon Apr 24, 2017 9:26 am

tigerhill wrote:I've recently received admissions to both uiuc (105k)and wisconsin law (60k)with scholarships. I am hoping to transfer after 1L ,and retaking LSAT or reapplying is not an option. I know that UIUC's ranking has recently went low(44th) while wisconsin is little higher (31th). So I have trouble deciding where to go. Also, I wonder which school s offer higher chance for me to work in Chicago.
Do you have in-state tuition at any of these options?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:34 am

If the 105k scholarship is from UIUC and you have in-state tuition that is not terrible. If you want to work in Chicago, go to UIUC.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 24, 2017 11:12 am

UIUC.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Mon Apr 24, 2017 12:06 pm

Illinois - cheaper and better job placement in Chicago

tigerhill

New

Post by tigerhill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:50 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:Illinois - cheaper and better job placement in Chicago
Thank you for your advice. 35k a year is not easy to turn down. My only worry is the ranking. Uiuc is currently 44th according to usnew. Wouldn't it affect job placement in the future? I've been seriously considering the option for almost a week now. I really need your help, guys
Lastly, how well should I do if I want to get into biglaw??

tigerhill

New

Post by tigerhill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:52 pm

JD_Kingfish wrote:
Do you have in-state tuition at any of these options?
No unfortunately not. Though the difference is just 10k.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 3:56 pm

tigerhill wrote:
Thank you for your advice. 35k a year is not easy to turn down. My only worry is the ranking. Uiuc is currently 44th according to usnew. Wouldn't it affect job placement in the future? I've been seriously considering the option for almost a week now. I really need your help, guys
Illinois placed 37% of their 2016 class into biglaw/federal clerkships, about twice as much as Wisconsin. So you should aim for around top 1/3 of the class.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:04 pm

tigerhill wrote:Uiuc is currently 44th according to usnew.
what part of the rankings make you think they are particularly important? have you looked at the methodology? rankings are stupid. UIUC is cheaper and has better Chicago placement (your goal). You have to do some serious mental gymnastics to think Wisconsin is a serious option for your goals.

If it makes you feel any better, here's a ranking where Illinois is higher than Wisconsin. Don't put much stock in rankings, thoughs.

tigerhill

New

Post by tigerhill » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:13 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
tigerhill wrote:
Illinois placed 37% of their 2016 class into biglaw/federal clerkships, about twice as much as Wisconsin. So you should aim for around top 1/3 of the class.
Thanks it really helps me alot.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:41 pm

Don't focus in the rankings. They don't mean shit when it comes to employment outcomes.
UIUC is the clear winner here for Chicago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 27, 2017 4:50 pm

tigerhill wrote:Lastly, how well should I do if I want to get into biglaw??
Not sure how this got ignored.

You should do well enough to not be going to either school. If your only goal is biglaw, you need to shoot for Northwestern/Chicago (assuming you want to stay in town) or change your goals. UIUC is clearly the better choice for Chicago, but not if you're biglaw-or-bust.

sk1130

New

Post by sk1130 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:39 pm

Hey tigerhill, I graduated from Wisconsin and got a biglaw job in Southern CA. Great school, really fun city, but you will have to outperform your classmates to be competitive. Additionally, where you want to practice post-grad is important in your decision. Feel free to PM me for more advice!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

sk1130 wrote:Great school, really fun city, but you will have to outperform your classmates to be competitive.
Unless you have a magic bullet for that...

sk1130

New

Post by sk1130 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:02 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
sk1130 wrote:Great school, really fun city, but you will have to outperform your classmates to be competitive.
Unless you have a magic bullet for that...
Haha if only! :wink:

snowball2

Bronze

Post by snowball2 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 5:32 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
tigerhill wrote:Lastly, how well should I do if I want to get into biglaw??
Not sure how this got ignored.

You should do well enough to not be going to either school. If your only goal is biglaw, you need to shoot for Northwestern/Chicago (assuming you want to stay in town) or change your goals. UIUC is clearly the better choice for Chicago, but not if you're biglaw-or-bust.
"How well should I do" questions are always disconcerting for two reasons: assuming that you can call a shot like Babe Ruth and aim for a specific level of performance (when everyone else comes in aiming for that same level) and assuming that said level is pre-determined. If you're going to UIUC, or any school outside of the very top of the T13, be prepared to work to the best of your ability (or even better, if possible). Period.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”