UVA to Chicago PI? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Finickywalrus

New

UVA to Chicago PI?

Post by Finickywalrus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:41 am

Hey everyone!

Going into this cycle I intended to follow the money regardless of location. With that in mind, I deposited at UVA after they increased my scholarship to $165000. This was my best offer by far. For someone who wants to go into PI this is obviously an amazing outcome and I'm thrilled! I also loved UVA so I'm incredibly excited to attend. For reference my stats are 3.6ish/173-176.

However I went home to visit my parents last weekend (large Midwestern city) and I realized I might want to be closer to my family as they age. I'm fine with moving away for law school for three years, but I'm concerned with what happens after I graduate. People say the T14 has national reach but the Chicago market seems to be an exception (unless you're northwestern or uchi). I'm concerned that if I get a job in Virginia or DC I'll be there for an additional 5-10 years.

Does anyone have any insight into whether PI hiring is more location blind (would a Chicago PI employer hire from uva?). I ask because a UVA student at ASW mentioned he struck out in Chicago firm hiring and mentioned I should attend Michigan if I want Chicago. I'm aware the processes for firms are different however.

At UVA am I fine if I spend my summers in Chicago or Milwaukee doing PI or should I try for VA/DC and maybe move to the Midwest after a few years? I know I shouldn't count on this but would a federal or state clerkship in the Midwest help with local hiring as well?

Thanks!

UVA2B

Gold

Re: UVA to Chicago PI?

Post by UVA2B » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:53 am

Short answer: yes you can get Chicago PI work from UVA.

Longer answer: PI hiring is going to be so much more about a demonstrated commitment to the work they do, which you can absolutely establish by working for organizations during the summers (and ideally having previous experience working with those types of organizations before law school to really make yourself attractive and committed to their cause). You're at somewhat a disadvantage over those at NU or Chicago who can extern and such during the academic year, so if we were talking about UVA for free vs. NU for free, you should take NU. But Michigan will put you in an equally disadvantaged position to UVA in terms of increasing your presence in the region (that said, Michigan vs. UVA for free would be a bit trickier and I could totally understand picking Michigan in that case).

You have a fantastic option on the table at UVA, and you can hustle and get yourself back to Chicago in PI if you network right and present yourself well to those in hiring positions. If you have other similar options on the table in the Midwest, that's something different to consider, but if UVA is your cheapest option, you shouldn't hesitate to take it.

Finickywalrus

New

Re: UVA to Chicago PI?

Post by Finickywalrus » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:01 am

UVA2B wrote:Short answer: yes you can get Chicago PI work from UVA.

Longer answer: PI hiring is going to be so much more about a demonstrated commitment to the work they do, which you can absolutely establish by working for organizations during the summers (and ideally having previous experience working with those types of organizations before law school to really make yourself attractive and committed to their cause). You're at somewhat a disadvantage over those at NU or Chicago who can extern and such during the academic year, so if we were talking about UVA for free vs. NU for free, you should take NU. But Michigan will put you in an equally disadvantaged position to UVA in terms of increasing your presence in the region (that said, Michigan vs. UVA for free would be a bit trickier and I could totally understand picking Michigan in that case).

You have a fantastic option on the table at UVA, and you can hustle and get yourself back to Chicago in PI if you network right and present yourself well to those in hiring positions. If you have other similar options on the table in the Midwest, that's something different to consider, but if UVA is your cheapest option, you shouldn't hesitate to take it.
Thanks for the response! UVA is the cheapest by far and NU was one of my lowest offers. Good point about Michigan, that definitely makes me feel better. I'm going to UVA regardless but it's reassuring to know I can get back to the Midwest. I have several years of experience in PI but it's on the opposite side of what I'm hoping to do (public defender), so I was a little concerned about that as well. Thanks again!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”