Columbia (60k) v NU (105k) v Duke (105k) v Michigan (120k) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
ottovon

New

Columbia (60k) v NU (105k) v Duke (105k) v Michigan (120k)

Post by ottovon » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:13 pm

Am I crazy to take Columbia over better offers from NU, Duke, and Mich? Goals are to maximize chance of NYC big law, minimize debt, and stay in NYC where I was born and raised but have been away from for about five years. I would also like to be able to do something with Chinese law in the future and am impressed by Columbia's connections there. NU and Duke increased their offers after negotiations and I haven't heard back from Columbia about reconsidering their offer yet. I will be financing almost the entire degree through loans as I have very little in savings. Does the 50k-80k difference in COA make Columbia indefensible? Stats are in my profile.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Re: Columbia (60k) v NU (105k) v Duke (105k) v Michigan (120k)

Post by presidentspivey » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:17 pm

ottovon wrote:Am I crazy to take Columbia over better offers from NU, Duke, and Mich? Goals are to maximize chance of NYC big law, minimize debt, and stay in NYC where I was born and raised but have been away from for about five years. I would also like to be able to do something with Chinese law in the future and am impressed by Columbia's connections there. NU and Duke increased their offers after negotiations and I haven't heard back from Columbia about reconsidering their offer yet. I will be financing almost the entire degree through loans as I have very little in savings. Does the 50k-80k difference in COA make Columbia indefensible? Stats are in my profile.
Can we get the total COA for these options? If your goal is NYC biglaw, any of these schools will get you there, and you should go with wherever your COA is lowest, which I imagine would be Michigan.

cheaptilts

Silver

Post by cheaptilts » Fri Apr 21, 2017 10:24 pm

ottovon wrote:Am I crazy to take Columbia over better offers from NU, Duke, and Mich? Goals are to maximize chance of NYC big law, minimize debt, and stay in NYC where I was born and raised but have been away from for about five years. I would also like to be able to do something with Chinese law in the future and am impressed by Columbia's connections there. NU and Duke increased their offers after negotiations and I haven't heard back from Columbia about reconsidering their offer yet. I will be financing almost the entire degree through loans as I have very little in savings. Does the 50k-80k difference in COA make Columbia indefensible? Stats are in my profile.
for your stated goals? yes

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 6:29 am

presidentspivey wrote:Can we get the total COA for these options? If your goal is NYC biglaw, any of these schools will get you there, and you should go with wherever your COA is lowest, which I imagine would be Michigan.
Duke has the best biglaw placement stats of the non-Columbia options. It's definitely worth an extra $15k. But yeah, no point in going to Columbia for generic biglaw goals.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Sat Apr 22, 2017 7:01 am

cavalier1138 wrote:
presidentspivey wrote:Can we get the total COA for these options? If your goal is NYC biglaw, any of these schools will get you there, and you should go with wherever your COA is lowest, which I imagine would be Michigan.
Duke has the best biglaw placement stats of the non-Columbia options. It's definitely worth an extra $15k. But yeah, no point in going to Columbia for generic biglaw goals.
Cavalier is correct. I had forgotten that Duke made a biglaw stat jump of almost 10% year over year. Off-topic, but does anyone know what the driving force behind that was?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nyu2019maybeplease

Bronze

Post by nyu2019maybeplease » Sat Apr 22, 2017 10:38 am

Pick the one of the non-columbia three you enjoyed the most. If you can't imagine not being in a city, NU seems like the way to go.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Mon Apr 24, 2017 10:14 pm

I probably wouldn't take Columbia over Duke at $105k. See if you can get Duke to march Michigan and then go there.

lolRCscrewyou

Bronze

Post by lolRCscrewyou » Sat Apr 29, 2017 12:29 am

presidentspivey wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
Cavalier is correct. I had forgotten that Duke made a biglaw stat jump of almost 10% year over year. Off-topic, but does anyone know what the driving force behind that was?
They freaked out that they dropped out of the top 10 :lol:
Honestly I think it's just that they are expanding their alumni network. Alumnus are doing more work than ever to get students where they want to go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”