W&L v. UW Madison Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
cml731

New

W&L v. UW Madison

Post by cml731 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:22 pm

Please help me decide! I have almost full scholarships from each. Retaking the LSAT and reapplying is not an option so please don't suggest it. But which should I go with? Is anyone a current or former student at either or just has some info they wouldn't mind sharing?

tinyvessels

Bronze

Re: W&L v. UW Madison

Post by tinyvessels » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Where do you want to work?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:26 pm

Which region do you have ties to between the two? What type of job are you hoping to get? Where do you want to practice law? What are the COA at each? How will you be paying for the rest of the cost? You need to give much more information before anyone can help you.

cml731

New

Post by cml731 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:33 pm

I don't know where I want to work probably either Chicago or New York. The cost of attendance is only living expenses which I can cover with loans. I don't know what type of job I want yet, anything but public interest really.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:40 pm

Great, this makes it easy then. Neither of these are good options for ending up in a law firm in Chicago or New York. Since you're not open to retaking and reapplying, just don't go. I know that sounds harsh and you'll likely dismiss it, but do yourself a favor and go to http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and read up on where UW and W&L place their graduates. I'll give you a hint: it's not NY and Chicago in any significant percentage.

Maybe your debt would be somewhat manageable, but you'll likely never achieve your goals. If you wanted to work for a smaller firm in WI or VA, we could be in business. But as it is, neither is a good option for your goals, and that's all that should matter to you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Fri Apr 21, 2017 7:05 pm

UVA2B wrote:Great, this makes it easy then. Neither of these are good options for ending up in a law firm in Chicago or New York. Since you're not open to retaking and reapplying, just don't go. I know that sounds harsh and you'll likely dismiss it, but do yourself a favor and go to http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and read up on where UW and W&L place their graduates. I'll give you a hint: it's not NY and Chicago in any significant percentage.

Maybe your debt would be somewhat manageable, but you'll likely never achieve your goals. If you wanted to work for a smaller firm in WI or VA, we could be in business. But as it is, neither is a good option for your goals, and that's all that should matter to you.
This is right. If you don't wanna retake, cool, just don't attend. Neither will get you your goals.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:58 pm

Here's another vote for neither.

Also, looking at your schools list, why did you apply to literally two schools in your target markets?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 21, 2017 11:50 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:Here's another vote for neither.

Also, looking at your schools list, why did you apply to literally two schools in your target markets?
Not that it matters in the least here, but pretty much every 0L does this exact calculus: where do my GPA/LSAT seem competitive at? Ok, I'll apply there!

It seems a shockingly small percentage of 0L actually approach this like a professional school that is designed to place you in a certain job in a certain region. It's reality, but how many 0Ls actually want to deal with reality?

KMart

Gold

Post by KMart » Sat Apr 22, 2017 2:07 am

UVA2B wrote:Great, this makes it easy then. Neither of these are good options for ending up in a law firm in Chicago or New York. Since you're not open to retaking and reapplying, just don't go. I know that sounds harsh and you'll likely dismiss it, but do yourself a favor and go to http://www.lawschooltransparency.com and read up on where UW and W&L place their graduates. I'll give you a hint: it's not NY and Chicago in any significant percentage.

this is 100% the correct answer and i wonder the what are the odds of OP following the advice

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sat Apr 22, 2017 9:56 am

KMart wrote:

this is 100% the correct answer and i wonder the what are the odds of OP following the advice
Probably small. But OP, seriously reapply next year if these are your two options and Chicago/New York are your goals.

If you are ok working in small firms in Wisconsin or Virginia these are good choices, but terrible for Chicago/New York. If you want to be in those you should at least go to UIUC or Fordham on big scholarships, if not retaking for the t13.

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:01 pm

Echoing that neither is the choice/you would be a fool to do either

pyramidenergy888

New

Post by pyramidenergy888 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:34 pm

OP, try to calculate your debt at the end of law school and compare it to how much you expect to make when you graduate. If you are making anywhere from $40k - $60k per year, you probably don't want to take on more than a $60k debt commitment... where that threshold is is up to you but keep in mind that the more debt you have to take out, the less attractive law school is as an investment.

I don't agree with everyone's advice to not go.. I do think that considering your likely debt to income ratio at graduation is an important factor to consider.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Sat Apr 22, 2017 4:38 pm

pyramidenergy888 wrote:I don't agree with everyone's advice to not go.. I do think that considering your likely debt to income ratio at graduation is an important factor to consider.
So you think the OP can work in NYC or Chicago from either of these schools?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:25 pm

Neither school gives you a good chance at working in Chicago or NY.

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Sat Apr 22, 2017 5:43 pm

Will add my own "neither" recommendation to all the others.

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Sun Apr 23, 2017 12:57 pm

Echoing others, while these aren't bad options taken by themselves, they are when you have those goals. Unless you consider Milwaukee a part of Chicago...

sk1130

New

Post by sk1130 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:42 pm

cml731 wrote:Please help me decide! I have almost full scholarships from each. Retaking the LSAT and reapplying is not an option so please don't suggest it. But which should I go with? Is anyone a current or former student at either or just has some info they wouldn't mind sharing?
If your goal is big law in Chicago, don't completely rule out Wisconsin. I graduated from there and MANY of my friends are now at big law firms in Chicago. But you need to be in the top 10% at least to even get an interview with those firms.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:47 pm

sk1130 wrote:
cml731 wrote:Please help me decide! I have almost full scholarships from each. Retaking the LSAT and reapplying is not an option so please don't suggest it. But which should I go with? Is anyone a current or former student at either or just has some info they wouldn't mind sharing?
If your goal is big law in Chicago, don't completely rule out Wisconsin. I graduated from there and MANY of my friends are now at big law firms in Chicago. But you need to be in the top 10% at least to even get an interview with those firms.
I assume the top 10% at UW could also get jobs in New York. It's a bad idea to go to school on a 10% chance of regional flexibility.

amta

Platinum

Post by amta » Fri Apr 28, 2017 2:49 pm

neither. retake.

sk1130

New

Post by sk1130 » Fri Apr 28, 2017 3:02 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
sk1130 wrote:
I assume the top 10% at UW could also get jobs in New York. It's a bad idea to go to school on a 10% chance of regional flexibility.
Completely agree! Just a thought to not completely rule out a school because it's do-able, just difficult and risky.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”