GULC with a ton of money vs. Berkeley with 90k? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
AllHailKingMao

Bronze

GULC with a ton of money vs. Berkeley with 90k?

Post by AllHailKingMao » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:03 pm

I am extremely conflicted between these two amazing offers I have on the table (Gtown is around $150k). I'm hoping to work in the public interest but I want to keep my B-Law options open. I do live on the East Coast and my partner works there, but we have spoken about moving to California in the future. I am actually interested in working in politics and government but am not entirely sure about it. I had originally sent an email to Berkeley to reconsider since they hadn't gotten back to me regarding aid, so I'm not sure if they would or would not be open to reconsideration. I have a very short timeframe to respond to the offers so I would love any and all information and advice!

luckyirish13

Bronze

Re: GULC with a ton of money vs. Berkeley with 90k?

Post by luckyirish13 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:11 pm

What are your total COA for each school?

Georgetown is great if you're looking to go into politics and government, Berkeley has statistically better placement for a career specifically in law. If you want to work in politics, presumably you'll want to live in DC, so Georgetown will be better for you, but if you're planning on moving to California like you said was in your considerations, Berkeley will be best.

It all will come down to your future goals weighed against the cost of attendance for each school. Both are great options though so you should be in a good position either way. Congrats!

dm1683

Silver

Post by dm1683 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:40 pm

AllHailKingMao wrote:I am extremely conflicted between these two amazing offers I have on the table (Gtown is around $150k). I'm hoping to work in the public interest but I want to keep my B-Law options open. I do live on the East Coast and my partner works there, but we have spoken about moving to California in the future. I am actually interested in working in politics and government but am not entirely sure about it. I had originally sent an email to Berkeley to reconsider since they hadn't gotten back to me regarding aid, so I'm not sure if they would or would not be open to reconsideration. I have a very short timeframe to respond to the offers so I would love any and all information and advice!
My vote is berk. Cal instate tuition (which you can get 2nd and 3rd years I think) makes the cost not that much higher and berkeley kills gtown in non-government PI. Plus berk is great for cal politics.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:39 pm

what are your stats?

what is the COA at each school?

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:what are your stats?

what is the COA at each school?
dm1683 wrote:
AllHailKingMao wrote:I am extremely conflicted between these two amazing offers I have on the table (Gtown is around $150k). I'm hoping to work in the public interest but I want to keep my B-Law options open. I do live on the East Coast and my partner works there, but we have spoken about moving to California in the future. I am actually interested in working in politics and government but am not entirely sure about it. I had originally sent an email to Berkeley to reconsider since they hadn't gotten back to me regarding aid, so I'm not sure if they would or would not be open to reconsideration. I have a very short timeframe to respond to the offers so I would love any and all information and advice!
My vote is berk. Cal instate tuition (which you can get 2nd and 3rd years I think) makes the cost not that much higher and berkeley kills gtown in non-government PI. Plus berk is great for cal politics.
luckyirish13 wrote:What are your total COA for each school?

Georgetown is great if you're looking to go into politics and government, Berkeley has statistically better placement for a career specifically in law. If you want to work in politics, presumably you'll want to live in DC, so Georgetown will be better for you, but if you're planning on moving to California like you said was in your considerations, Berkeley will be best.

It all will come down to your future goals weighed against the cost of attendance for each school. Both are great options though so you should be in a good position either way. Congrats!
So I'm estimating tuition costs at Gtown would be about 12k total and at Cal around 60k total. I'm estimating Berkeley would be *slightly* cheaper to live in, although not by much.

AllHailKingMao

Bronze

Post by AllHailKingMao » Fri Apr 21, 2017 2:01 pm

PM me for stats!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”