Whittier Shutting Down Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
JCougar

Gold

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:53 pm

zot1 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:19% employment score. wow that is bad.
In one of the articles I read about this, one student about to graduate was wholly concerned with the implications the school closing would have on his diploma. I do feel bad they're all in this situation, but, at least for those students who get to graduate, the school shutting down is the least of their problems.
It would be more merciful if they just closed their doors tomorrow. The students would scream, but that would allow their debt to be forgiven now as opposed to 25 years from now after it has grown to $500,000 with interest.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Wait so what happens to all of the applicants this year that had Whitter at the top of their lists, were already accepted for the Fall, and withdrew from every other school....?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

I'll just assume for the sake of the dignity of anyone who went to this school that the idiots piping up all angrily in this meeting are not indicative of the student body as a whole.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:56 pm

Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Wait so what happens to all of the applicants this year that had Whitter at the top of their lists, were already accepted for the Fall, and withdrew from every other school....?
They don't go.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:58 pm

star fox wrote:
Thomas Hagan, ESQ. wrote:Wait so what happens to all of the applicants this year that had Whitter at the top of their lists, were already accepted for the Fall, and withdrew from every other school....?
They don't go.
If Whittier was at the top of their list, then perhaps it's a good thing they're not going to law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:00 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
star fox wrote:
They don't go.
If Whittier was at the top of their list, then perhaps it's a good thing they're not going to law school.
Haha true but I highly doubt people who apply to Whittier will just not go to law school, period. Willing to bet that La Verne Law's incoming 1L class will be larger than recent trends

foregetaboutdre

Bronze

Post by foregetaboutdre » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

The fed govt should write some statute demanding institutions to pay off student loans if schools don't pass some bar exam/employment stat threshold. Then schools wont enroll those who can't be lawyers.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:01 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:The fed govt should write some statute demanding institutions to pay off student loans if schools don't pass some bar exam/employment stat threshold. Then schools wont enroll those who can't be lawyers.
I'm ok with this. Make schools a guarantor. Fuck it.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:02 pm

It's probably particularly rough to be a TTTT in California since the bar passage rate is so much lower. Can't get a lawyer job if you can't pass the bar and the odds are not good when your class is composed of >75 % of sub-150 LSATs.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:05 pm

star fox wrote:
They don't go.
Most crappy law schools keep applications open through August. Also LOL at a student trying to unwithdraw from a TTTT and the school saying, "I'm sorry buddy, but you made your choice."

And there's nothing that I could find on the Whittier web site anymore. Did they take the announcement down?

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

foregetaboutdre wrote:The fed govt should write some statute demanding institutions to pay off student loans if schools don't pass some bar exam/employment stat threshold. Then schools wont enroll those who can't be lawyers.
Agreed. The government should be doing more to regulate the legal field since the ABA doesn't seem like they will do anything about it.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:06 pm

jingosaur wrote:
star fox wrote:
They don't go.
Most crappy law schools keep applications open through August. Also LOL at a student trying to unwithdraw from a TTTT and the school saying, "I'm sorry buddy, but you made your choice."

And there's nothing that I could find on the Whittier web site anymore. Did they take the announcement down?
Yeah I meant they don't go to Whittier. The other TTTTs would be glad to have them given their enrollment problems. Thomas Jefferson, La Verne, etc. are the big winners in this.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:07 pm

Do you think if we all go on their website and "Request Information," they'll change their mind?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:14 pm

Honestly, there's probably 50 other TTTs that would let them un-withdraw. Why would any TTT give up a shot at free money like that?

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:17 pm

star fox wrote:
A lot of these schools have multi-million and even multi-billion dollar endowments.

I'd love for FedGov at some point to just send them a bill for all the debt they have to forgive. Tell them to either pay up, or we start taxing your profits, because you're obviously not creating a public good with your services...

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:18 pm

star fox wrote:
jingosaur wrote:
star fox wrote:
They don't go.

Yeah I meant they don't go to Whittier. The other TTTTs would be glad to have them given their enrollment problems. Thomas Jefferson, La Verne, etc. are the big winners in this.
That's true...one TTTT goes down to save the others. La Verne, Thomas Jefferson and Cal Western should all celebrate two Easters from now on

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:22 pm

JCougar wrote:
star fox wrote:
A lot of these schools have multi-million and even multi-billion dollar endowments.

I'd love for FedGov at some point to just send them a bill for all the debt they have to forgive. Tell them to either pay up, or we start taxing your profits, because you're obviously not creating a public good with your services...
The best is they are free to invest in Funds tax-free and so they help Billionaire Managers get richer, who scam the government out of more taxes through carried interest, and what do the college endowments care about whether that means more ordinary income to them, they're tax-exempt anyways!

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:26 pm

That video is so sad. Part of me thinks that the two people running the meeting should have just doubled down and said that they were running a horrible law school full of students who will never have a real chance at practicing law. How can so many people be in so much denial?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:28 pm

jingosaur wrote:That video is so sad. Part of me thinks that the two people running the meeting should have just doubled down and said that they were running a horrible law school full of students who will never have a real chance at practicing law. How can so many people be in so much denial?
I admire their restraint to not just say,when they were like "what about the 3Ls with all their great jobs??", "most of the 3Ls are going to fail the bar actually"

cron1834

Gold

Post by cron1834 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:29 pm

If the students don't secure a teach-out arrangement, they can get a discharge of their Fed loans for a school closing. That could be a dream come true for most of them, whether they realize it now or not. How the hell else are they going to pay off $200k in debt from one of the worst schools in America?

thatblondegirl

Bronze

Post by thatblondegirl » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm

cron1834 wrote:If the students don't secure a teach-out arrangement, they can get a discharge of their Fed loans for a school closing. That could be a dream come true for most of them, whether they realize it now or not. How the hell else are they going to pay off $200k in debt from one of the worst schools in America?
True, and hopefully they realize that in time. However, I'm pretty sure that most of the students think they're guaranteed a six figure salary just for earning a JD. Hell, I know someone who thinks they deserve a six figure salary just because they have a bachelor's degree. In their minds the school closing down is equivalent to being denied the upward mobility that they crave.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:42 pm

star fox wrote:
jingosaur wrote:That video is so sad. Part of me thinks that the two people running the meeting should have just doubled down and said that they were running a horrible law school full of students who will never have a real chance at practicing law. How can so many people be in so much denial?
I admire their restraint to not just say,when they were like "what about the 3Ls with all their great jobs??", "most of the 3Ls are going to fail the bar actually"
You could tell the guy wanted to say that.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:45 pm

cron1834 wrote:If the students don't secure a teach-out arrangement, they can get a discharge of their Fed loans for a school closing. That could be a dream come true for most of them, whether they realize it now or not. How the hell else are they going to pay off $200k in debt from one of the worst schools in America?
They won't, the debt would be forgiven, the cost of their attendance will be subsidized by the American taxpayer.

AT9

Gold

Post by AT9 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 5:56 pm

The pessimistic (more likely realistic) side of me thinks this won't matter and that other prospective TTTT students will just go to one of the many other TTTTs.

The optimistic part of me hopes that enough of these will close that prospective students, even if they don't have the self-awareness to realize they're terrible law school candidates, stay away out of fear that their school might close. Perhaps that would grow the snowball as it picks up more scam schools.

Of course, that would require most of those students to realize that their dream school of Florida Coastal is just as shitty as Whittier/Charlotte, which won't happen.

jingosaur

Gold

Post by jingosaur » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:05 pm

star fox wrote:
Also remember that this was being videotaped and anything negative that they say about the school will likely be used in the impending fraud trial(s).

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”