Whittier Shutting Down Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Re: Whittier Shutting Down

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:42 pm

Some people simply should not go to law school.

half moon

New

Post by half moon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:52 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:Some people simply should not go to law school.
Absolutely. Until more schools follow Whittier out the door though, I don't expect much to change. There are plenty of other schools with bad placement rates that will be happy to tell prospective students that if they work hard they can do anything, and soak up the extra tuition money.

presidentspivey

Bronze

Post by presidentspivey » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:55 pm

White Dwarf

Bronze

Post by White Dwarf » Thu Apr 20, 2017 2:57 pm

Yeah, but if that video shows you anything it's that "some people" just don't have the self-awareness to realize they're one of them. If you have to redo your 3L year because you couldn't cut it at the worst law school in the country, and still don't see the writing on the wall, there is no hope for you.

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:05 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
Yeah, but if that video shows you anything it's that "some people" just don't have the self-awareness to realize they're one of them. If you have to redo your 3L year because you couldn't cut it at the worst law school in the country, and still don't see the writing on the wall, there is no hope for you.
I'm pretty sure a lot of these people, who go to law schools like this, assume that passing the bar and becoming a lawyer is a sufficient condition for making six figures post-graduation.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:13 pm

White Dwarf wrote:
That ATL video was wild, but I guess what else do you expect
Last edited by GreenEggs on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pragmatic Gun

Silver

Post by Pragmatic Gun » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:17 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:
It was weird. The culture of that law school is light-years away from mine.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:20 pm

Greenteachurro wrote:I'm pretty sure a lot of these people, who go to law schools like this, assume that passing the bar and becoming a lawyer is a sufficient condition for making six figures post-graduation.
pretty sure most people think that, unfortunately.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:24 pm

Pragmatic Gun wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
White Dwarf wrote:
It was weird. The culture of that law school is light-years away from mine.
Naw I think mostly everyone would react in the same way if it was announced suddenly that their law school was shutting down. Whittier was a dumb decision for those students, but their reaction is pretty normal--at least I think so.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

anyriotgirl

Platinum

Post by anyriotgirl » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:27 pm

in fairness to the students, the people making the announcement seemed pretty unprepared for that meeting
Last edited by anyriotgirl on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

GreenEggs

Gold

Post by GreenEggs » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:28 pm

anyriotgirl wrote:in fairness to the students, the people making the announcement seemed pretty unprepared for that meeting
"We're here to announce terrible news for all of you, and to let you know to e-mail us your questions, because we won't answer any now"

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:48 pm

DCfilterDC wrote:
anyriotgirl wrote:in fairness to the students, the people making the announcement seemed pretty unprepared for that meeting
"We're here to announce terrible news for all of you, and to let you know to e-mail us your questions, because we won't answer any now"
Yeah that was terrible.

hammy393

Bronze

Post by hammy393 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:55 pm

http://abovethelaw.com/2017/04/whittier ... -its-wake/

Wow... "Members of the class of 2016 had an average of $179,000 in pre-interest debt."

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:57 pm

jjcorvino wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Yeah that was terrible.
Can't imagine what the presenters were thinking when they said "and now we'll stay here to answer your questions." Couldn't disclose much about how the decision was made (I don't think the presenters recognized how focused the students would be on re-litigating an issue that the presenters probably perceived as a done deal) and they had no information at all about next steps. What were they hoping the questions would be about?

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:58 pm

There are way to many TTT law schools in California. There are several in LA metro area alone! I'm sure they will be happy to enroll the student-ATM's that would have gone to Whittier. :roll:

SmokeytheBear

Silver

Post by SmokeytheBear » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:14 pm

I sat next to someone from Whittier during the bar exam. She said it was her third attempt.

During the second day of essays (the third day), after everyone cracked open the booklet and started typing furiously, she just sat there and started to cry. She flipped to the next page and kept crying. Flipped to the last page and the tears didn't stop. She went to the bathroom and came back about ten minutes later. She slowly typed some stuff. Stopped. Then slowly typed some more. Flipped to the next page.

I didn't know how to feel. Part of me was frustrated that she was crying and distracting me. Part of me wanted to tell her to buck up and just start typing something. But a large part of me just felt bad for her that her school would let such a situation happen.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:17 pm

pissed

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Greenteachurro

Silver

Post by Greenteachurro » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm

mjb447 wrote:
jjcorvino wrote:
DCfilterDC wrote:
Yeah that was terrible.
Can't imagine what the presenters were thinking when they said "and now we'll stay here to answer your questions." Couldn't disclose much about how the decision was made (I don't think the presenters recognized how focused the students would be on re-litigating an issue that the presenters probably perceived as a done deal) and they had no information at all about next steps. What were they hoping the questions would be about?
I'm sure the question part was just a formality. I'm sure they didn't really think much of it.

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:24 pm

atl wrote: What’s critical to note here is that, as detailed in the faculty’s TRO application (posted on the next page), the Board sold off the land upon which the law school is built in January 2017, for the sum of $13 million. Faculty were allegedly led to believe that the money would be reinvested back into the law school, but here we are just a few months later, and the Board is crying poverty, claiming that there isn’t anything they’re able to do to save the law program at the school.
this just gets worse and worse
atl wrote: it’s difficult to understand why this devastating news was delivered to students one week before final exams. It’s almost as if the Board wants these law students to do poorly

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:29 pm

Jesus, the complete lack of self-awareness in this student body...

I'm sympathetic to a point, but holy shit.

Anon.y.mousse.

Silver

Post by Anon.y.mousse. » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:34 pm

will be really interesting to see their ABA employment report next year (if they still have to do one?) to see if the claims of "but the 3ls this year have really great jobs lined up" is supported or not.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:42 pm

dietcoke1 wrote:
atl wrote: What’s critical to note here is that, as detailed in the faculty’s TRO application (posted on the next page), the Board sold off the land upon which the law school is built in January 2017, for the sum of $13 million. Faculty were allegedly led to believe that the money would be reinvested back into the law school, but here we are just a few months later, and the Board is crying poverty, claiming that there isn’t anything they’re able to do to save the law program at the school.
this just gets worse and worse
atl wrote: it’s difficult to understand why this devastating news was delivered to students one week before final exams. It’s almost as if the Board wants these law students to do poorly
Was it handled right? No. But the best thing the board ever did for the current students, who by their own admission in the video are $200k in debt and need to retake classes just to get a 3.0, is to shut down the law school. They will be able to get a closed school discharge and won't have all that terrible debt with terrible job prospects hanging over their heads

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:49 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
I don't disagree. I guess I just didn't realize how bad the situation actually is/was.

JCougar

Gold

Post by JCougar » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:50 pm

yupyup wrote:The faculty tried to get a TRO.
http://abovethelaw.com/2017/04/whittier ... -its-wake/
LOL.

It's amazing just how little law profs generally know about actually practicing law and winning at the cases you take.

There's absolutely no way a court would grant a TRO to force a private business that is deep in the red to stay open.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:51 pm

48.9 % Under-Employment. Damn. That's rough. 38.1 % Bar Passage Rate. Fuck.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”