Harvard v NYU ($$) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
sidequest

New

Harvard v NYU ($$)

Post by sidequest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:06 pm

Delete
Last edited by sidequest on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Re: Harvard v NYU ($$)

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:12 pm

NYU is the smarter choice.

theothercat

Bronze

Post by theothercat » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:14 pm

Disclaimer: I'm a 0L going to NYU. Was waitlisted at Harvard, so did not quite make this choice, but I did choose no debt at NYU over debt at CC, or hanging out on S/H waitlists.

I would 100% go with NYU. You will graduate essentially debt-free from a great school that is known for PI. If you're not familiar with Bryan Stevenson, who is on faculty at NYU, look into his work on capital punishment defense. I can't speak too much to NYU's clerkship numbers (I want to clerk too), but certainly if you go for it, you have a real shot. Unless your debt at Harvard would be very, very low, I just don't think it's worth it.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:19 pm

NYU.

Also, no idea why you want to clerk for your stated career goals. Make sure you're looking into the benefits of clerking for someone on your track, not just the general prestige boost.

Julius

New

Post by Julius » Wed Apr 19, 2017 5:38 pm

For PI work, HLS and NYU are pretty close to peers. I'd go to NYU. If 120k is pocket change to you and your family, HLS might make sense.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

sidequest

New

Post by sidequest » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:09 pm

Last edited by sidequest on Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:15 pm

sidequest wrote:Thanks all for your answers. I know debt is a serious concern on TLS, but the amount I would need to take out is quite low. My main concerns choosing NYU over Harvard is how difficult I'm finding the city (NYC) to live in. It's just wearing me down, and it seems like a commitment to NYU is also a commitment to stay in NYC for at least 3-5 years, considering their high placement rate in the city.

I met several Harvard students who had received clerkships and were pursuing them with the intention to ultimately work in impact litigation. Even if I ultimately don't want to clerk, I can't ignore that Harvard places far more students in Skadden/EJW fellowships.

On the other hand, I know that staying in New York would be easiest on my partner, who has a job and social circle here. Cambridge would likely be relatively isolating, and he prefers staying in NYC.

The NYU scholarship decision deadline if Friday, and I honestly don't know what I'm going to do...

Nothing you've provided to this point suggests Harvard is the better decision. Putting your eggs in the Skadden/EJW basket is a crapshoot no matter where you go.

NYU will not commit you to NYC long-term, particularly when you're talking about impact lit type PI (this is meant to suggest that impact lit is going to be hard to get from anywhere and geographic consideration actually falls secondary to getting a position in that impact lit org).

I think NYU's LRAP is not so demonstrably worse than Harvard's LIPP to make Harvard worth it. And if you put value in your relationship with your SO, that makes NYU an even better decision. Take NYU, you'll appreciate doing so in a year or two.

ernie

Bronze

Post by ernie » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:42 pm

NYU makes sense. If you want to do capital punishment defense, do the Equal Justice and Defender externship. (Lots of NYU folks end up at EJI by the way.) And you won't be limited to NY. If you have questions about impact lit, PM me.

Milksteak

New

Post by Milksteak » Thu Apr 20, 2017 12:39 am

NYU. Skadden/EJW make up a small portion of all PI funding. There are lots of lesser known fellowships that make up the bulk of legal services hiring. Impact lit is always tough to get into, but NYU offers clinics with externships with NYCLU, the Brennan Center, the ACLU, and LDF. If you're interested in capital work, there is the EJI clinic as was mentioned (though very competitive to get into) but also tons of other public defense clinics. Of course if you want to do capital punishment defense you wont be able to stay in the northeast, so whether you go to Boston or stay in NYC, eventually you gotta move.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Wild Card

Silver

Post by Wild Card » Fri Apr 21, 2017 5:46 pm

If money is not a concern, then Harvard, obviously.

enoca

Bronze

Post by enoca » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:38 pm

If:

A) Are sure you wanna do "prestige" PI (some orgs can be just as big of prestige whores as firms)
B) Are sure you want the best possible shot at a clerkship
C) Do not care about the extra loans (LIPP could mitigate this somewhat, but still)
D) Hate NYC

Harvard seems like the obvious answer. Now if you are wishy washy on those points, you might really think about how nice free money is.

Seems like the main issue is your partner's (dis)satisfaction. Unfortunately, don't think anyone here can help you figure that out.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Tue Apr 25, 2017 8:45 pm

Debt free and keeping your SO happy? I'd go NYU.
Just pursue PI outside the city if you don't want to stay there long term.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:06 pm

If the NYU scholarship is 40k per year, wouldn't the scholarship be reduced by 20k the third year if you do a 2L SA? Something to consider.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:14 pm

Veil of Ignorance wrote:If the NYU scholarship is 40k per year, wouldn't the scholarship be reduced by 20k the third year if you do a 2L SA? Something to consider.
I could be wrong on this, but isn't $120k discount at NYU merit aid, and therefore insensitive to need consideration?

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:36 pm

UVA2B wrote:
Veil of Ignorance wrote:If the NYU scholarship is 40k per year, wouldn't the scholarship be reduced by 20k the third year if you do a 2L SA? Something to consider.
I could be wrong on this, but isn't $120k discount at NYU merit aid, and therefore insensitive to need consideration?
NYU always cuts scholarships in the third year if you earn more than $15k for the summer. It sounds like this year, the cut is less than 50% though, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes now.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Tue Apr 25, 2017 9:47 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
NYU always cuts scholarships in the third year if you earn more than $15k for the summer. It sounds like this year, the cut is less than 50% though, so I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes now.
I knew NYU was all about dat PI, but to punish their corporate drones before leaving the academia womb just seems a bit cruel (been reading about premature lambs too much today).

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Tue Apr 25, 2017 10:13 pm

UVA2B wrote:
cavalier1138 wrote:
UVA2B wrote:
I knew NYU was all about dat PI, but to punish their corporate drones before leaving the academia womb just seems a bit cruel (been reading about premature lambs too much today).
I agree, I find it an irritating and kind of deceptive policy.

NoDayButToday

Silver

Post by NoDayButToday » Tue Apr 25, 2017 11:56 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “Choosing a Law School”