Cornell / Northwestern / Duke / Penn / Retake Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
mtf612

Bronze

Cornell / Northwestern / Duke / Penn / Retake

Post by mtf612 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:30 pm

Hi all. 3.91/170. Waitlists at Harvard, Chicago, Virginia, Michigan, and Georgetown. Held at Columbia and still pending at NYU. Yale, Stanford, and Berkeley rejections.

Goal is NYC biglaw but I am open to a pursuing a clerkship. Am I making a mistake by taking one of these offers? I have taken the LSAT twice (first was a canceled score), I am three years out of undergrad, and I'm very much ready to start school this fall. If I hear good news from NYU/CLS it will be a miracle. Not expecting to get off the HLS waitlist but somewhat hopeful for Chicago being at both medians. Not worried about the other waitlists. Not debt averse, more concerned about employability. Considering studying for the June LSAT coming up, but I'll be honest in that I am not sure whether I honestly could get any more points...

School (Scholly / Cost = [Tuition + ABA CoL * 3] - Scholly)

Cornell (150k/122K)
Northwestern (120k/139k)
Duke (105k/159k)
Penn (105k/172k)

Please don't quote, planning to take this down eventually. I appreciate your comments!
Last edited by mtf612 on Fri Apr 21, 2017 3:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

kingpin101

Bronze

Re: Cornell / Northwestern / Duke / Penn / Retake

Post by kingpin101 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:43 pm

IDK Cornell at near full ride seems pretty good to me.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:52 pm

kingpin101 wrote:IDK Cornell at near full ride seems pretty good to me.
+1. Especially for NYC biglaw.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
kingpin101 wrote:IDK Cornell at near full ride seems pretty good to me.
+1. Especially for NYC biglaw.
Yeah, easy call. Go to Cornell

mtf612

Bronze

Post by mtf612 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:17 pm

Interesting. Would have expected the collective wisdom to be "retake" lol.

How much more would you say a Penn degree is worth over Cornell? Right now the diff is like 50k, at what point would it be worth the money?

As an addendum, would your choice of Cornell change if your family was funding your education?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:23 pm

Well, right now the difference is >150K since you don't have an actual Penn offer yet.

But idk. How much would you be willing to pay to spend 3 years in Philly instead of Ithaca?

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:24 pm

Lavitz wrote:Well, right now the difference is >150K since you don't have an actual Penn offer yet.

But idk. How much would you be willing to pay to spend 3 years in Philly instead of Ithaca?
This. Don't count eggs before they've hatched is a good law apps rule.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:37 pm

mtf612 wrote:Interesting. Would have expected the collective wisdom to be "retake" lol.

How much more would you say a Penn degree is worth over Cornell? Right now the diff is like 50k, at what point would it be worth the money?

As an addendum, would your choice of Cornell change if your family was funding your education?
When equal or damn near it. And no, family funding should not matter. Money is money, and Penn is not so substantially better at getting NYC Biglaw than Cornell.

lilitiger99

Bronze

Post by lilitiger99 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:01 pm

Why would you be mistaken? Cornell at nearly a full ride for NYC big law seems like a no brainer.

I know people on here can be prestige whores, but from talking to real life lawyers and the lawyers on here, everyone is going to say take the money and a lower t13 rather than pay sticker at Columbia, NYU, etc.

I'm most likely turning down my t6 offers @ sticker to go to Duke or Cornell depending which one will scholarship match, and I was at Cornell's ASW and was very impressed. Their employment offers & Big law stats are very good, though apparently only Columbia and up will get you Watchell etc.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Keilz

Gold

Post by Keilz » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:14 pm

If your goal is nyc big law, take Cornell.

I don't think retaking will help you in this situation. Your WL at the mid t14 and lack of response from NYU/CLS most likely aren't due to your numbers, because they are already good enough for them.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Tue Apr 18, 2017 1:28 pm

Even if you receive the scholarship from Penn that you're hoping for, I'd choose Cornell here. Penn would have to come very close to matching Cornell's scholarship for it to be worth it.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Tue Apr 18, 2017 2:05 pm

I'll add to the "Cornell chorus" here.

For generic NYC biglaw, it'll do as well as Penn at 50K less. That's a win.

Hypotheticals: if Columbia was 50K more, I'd take Columbia. If you weren't sure but thought maybe possibly DC was a target market, I'd take Penn. If you were seriously considering a joint MBA/JD, Penn.

But, you want a vanilla JD and your goals are vanilla NYC biglaw...it's Cornell and it's not even close. Enjoy a great outcome! Good luck.
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:27 pm

cornell

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:33 pm

what are your lsat breakdowns, i would try to sit out another year and retake...just 3 more points and you're looking at money ccn down and a chance at h y s

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:37 pm

lakers180 wrote:what are your lsat breakdowns, i would try to sit out another year and retake...just 3 more points and you're looking at money ccn down and a chance at h y s
near full ride at Cornell with goal of NYC big law. What is the upside of waiting another year?

lakers180

Bronze

Post by lakers180 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:36 am

Pure Applesauce wrote:
lakers180 wrote:what are your lsat breakdowns, i would try to sit out another year and retake...just 3 more points and you're looking at money ccn down and a chance at h y s
near full ride at Cornell with goal of NYC big law. What is the upside of waiting another year?
with that gpa and clearly proven ability on the lsat a few points means a shot at a near full ride at cn, which are better for ny biglaw

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:39 am

lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
with that gpa and clearly proven ability on the lsat a few points means a shot at a near full ride at cn, which are better for ny biglaw
Emphasis on 'shot'. Maybe OP gets CN free or maybe OP gets the exact same outcome. There are plenty of above both 75ths students that get squat.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:44 am

lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
But no guarantee at all. It is also likely he raises his lsat and has the same outcome

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Wed Apr 19, 2017 11:48 am

lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
So you're saying OP should take a year off for the possibility of increasing his/her LSAT score, which unless OP gets a full ride at Columbia or NYU, would result in OP paying significantly more for a degree that would get... what exactly? For OP's goals, the shot at a V10 over a V20? With no difference in pay?

If OP's goals were different, this might be a good idea, but as it stands I just don't see it.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Wed Apr 19, 2017 12:27 pm

Po$eidon wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
Emphasis on 'shot'. Maybe OP gets CN free or maybe OP gets the exact same outcome. There are plenty of above both 75ths students that get squat.
Maybe even a worse outcome if OP gets YPed from Cornell/other T13s after turning down their near full rides.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Wed Apr 19, 2017 2:00 pm

I'd take a crack at negotiating since you have pretty competitive numbers and offers, but for NYC biglaw I'd probably just matriculate unless you really want to wait a year. This isn't a glaring retake situation and your scholarships are for the most part good. I'd pick Cornell.

Also even if you get H I wouldn't take it. No real benefit for NYC biglaw so not worth the debt.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Traynor Brah

Silver

Post by Traynor Brah » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:06 pm

lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
OK, but the opportunity cost of giving up a year of biglaw salary for the chance at a comparable scholarship at another school that will get him essentially the same job makes this a kind of silly idea.

OP, if you get a scholarship from Penn that makes the COA w/in like 50K, I don't think it'd be unjustifiable to choose Penn if you feel you'd be significantly happier spending three years in Philly, as that'd still be a reasonable debt load.

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:18 pm

goldenbear2020 wrote:
Po$eidon wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
Maybe even a worse outcome if OP gets YPed from Cornell/other T13s after turning down their near full rides.
Hard agree

Dr. Nefario

Gold

Post by Dr. Nefario » Wed Apr 19, 2017 4:21 pm

Traynor Brah wrote:
lakers180 wrote:
Pure Applesauce wrote:
OK, but the opportunity cost of giving up a year of biglaw salary for the chance at a comparable scholarship at another school that will get him essentially the same job makes this a kind of silly idea.

OP, if you get a scholarship from Penn that makes the COA w/in like 50K, I don't think it'd be unjustifiable to choose Penn if you feel you'd be significantly happier spending three years in Philly, as that'd still be a reasonable debt load.
Time-value of money would clearly suggest going now rather than wait a year for a chance at a better outcome.

Not to mention, even assuming enough LSAT points to get 150k scholly at CN, COL in NYC for three additional years would be much greater than Ithaca for 3. NYU's placement this year was less than Cornell and Columbia is only 8 points ahead. Seems like a zinger for Cornell if you take that into account.

jbagelboy

Diamond

Post by jbagelboy » Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:51 am

If you get Penn at $105k, I'd probably do that. Otherwise Cornell.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”