... Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:07 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Re: Turning down UChicago for Duke?

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:17 pm

chargers21 wrote:Along the lines of a few other threads, but am I crazy for turning down Chicago to go to Duke? I am from the midwest and have tons of family here so staying in the area has its benefits, but I still think that I would like to land at a southern market like Charlotte or Atlanta (or Texas). I have some ties to Atlanta, if it matters. I am a reverse splitter and have used my 3 LSAT takes, so I would have to sit 2 years out of law school to take it again. I would like to do transactional work, if anyone has some insight into the availability of that type of work in southern firms.

Chicago - 15k scholarship
Duke - 75k (post-negotiation)
Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

I have minimal UG debt and will be debt financing law school. I will likely have some help with food/travel expenses while in school, but I have to pay rent, tuition, etc. Really just looking for confirmation that Chicago is not HYS and turning it down for a lower ranked school without a massive scholarship isn't insane. Thanks for any input!
UChicago is great, but I don't think it is worth that much debt Have you negotiated with Michigan at all?

If you want to end up in the south, go to Duke. But if you're not from there it might be hard, so don't just bid the south at OCI.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:36 pm

Last edited by chargers21 on Sat Aug 19, 2017 12:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:38 pm

chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
chargers21 wrote:Along the lines of a few other threads, but am I crazy for turning down Chicago to go to Duke? I am from the midwest and have tons of family here so staying in the area has its benefits, but I still think that I would like to land at a southern market like Charlotte or Atlanta (or Texas). I have some ties to Atlanta, if it matters. I am a reverse splitter and have used my 3 LSAT takes, so I would have to sit 2 years out of law school to take it again. I would like to do transactional work, if anyone has some insight into the availability of that type of work in southern firms.

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

I have minimal UG debt and will be debt financing law school. I will likely have some help with food/travel expenses while in school, but I have to pay rent, tuition, etc. Really just looking for confirmation that Chicago is not HYS and turning it down for a lower ranked school without a massive scholarship isn't insane. Thanks for any input!
UChicago is great, but I don't think it is worth that much debt Have you negotiated with Michigan at all?

If you want to end up in the south, go to Duke. But if you're not from there it might be hard, so don't just bid the south at OCI.
Michigan declined to increase my offer, but that was before receiving the current offer from Duke so I will probably send out an update right now to see if it helps. I am waiting to hear back on negotiations from UT and Chicago, but I doubt Chicago will move at all. The deposit at Duke is due in a few days so I'm kind of at the end of the road as they declined to extend my deadline.

Duke people, who are obviously paid to tell me things I want to hear, made it sound like Charlotte BL is easy peasy out of Duke because very few students want to go there. I really am opposed to NYC as any sort of long term option, so what kind of places would you say are doable out of Duke?
Someone from the south can correct me if I am wrong, but I have always heard that Charlotte and Atlanta were pretty insular and preferred ppl with ties. Also, there are only a handful of real big law firms with few SAs in Charlotte so not sure how easy it ever is.

If you are from the midwest, bid on Chicago BL firms as well

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:43 pm

chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

Michigan declined to increase my offer, but that was before receiving the current offer from Duke so I will probably send out an update right now to see if it helps. I am waiting to hear back on negotiations from UT and Chicago, but I doubt Chicago will move at all. The deposit at Duke is due in a few days so I'm kind of at the end of the road as they declined to extend my deadline.

Duke people, who are obviously paid to tell me things I want to hear, made it sound like Charlotte BL is easy peasy out of Duke because very few students want to go there. I really am opposed to NYC as any sort of long term option, so what kind of places would you say are doable out of Duke?
As a Duke person, I think pretty much everywhere is achievable. Everyone I know who wanted a market was able to pull it, but depends on market. For NC biglaw, you are going to need ties to the market to have a shot. Im sure its technically possible to get Charlotte biglaw without ties but great grades, but ties REALLY help. Everyone who wanted Atlanta had multiple Atlanta offers.

Duke is unique in that it really places well in a lot of markets (outside of YHS). Everyone can get NYC, most people can get DC, everyone I know who wanted Atlanta/Chicago/LA/SF/ and Texas big law got it. Some markets require more hustling or ties than others, like Charlotte for example. You will need ties to get into Charlotte, but obviously don't need ties to get NY. If you don't have ties to Charlotte, Charlotte biglaw will be near impossible from Duke or Chicago. Duke would have the geographic advantage obviously. All things considered, it will probably be much easier getting Charlotte from Duke than Chicago. NC is really sensitive to ties and NC Law schools.

There is a reason Duke has incredibly strong biglaw numbers. Duke places really well and with our small size, our career services people are fantastic in getting people the markets they want (within reason- below median at DC for example is gonna be hard, but possible if you hustle hard). So the small size really makes a difference in the amount of time career services can help each student really get the target market.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:53 pm

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:57 pm

chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

As a Duke person, I think pretty much everywhere is achievable. Everyone I know who wanted a market was able to pull it, but depends on market. For NC biglaw, you are going to need ties to the market to have a shot. Im sure its technically possible to get Charlotte biglaw without ties but great grades, but ties REALLY help. Everyone who wanted Atlanta had multiple Atlanta offers.

Duke is unique in that it really places well in a lot of markets (outside of YHS). Everyone can get NYC, most people can get DC, everyone I know who wanted Atlanta/Chicago/LA/SF/ and Texas big law got it. Some markets require more hustling or ties than others, like Charlotte for example. You will need ties to get into Charlotte, but obviously don't need ties to get NY. If you don't have ties to Charlotte, Charlotte biglaw will be near impossible from Duke or Chicago. Duke would have the geographic advantage obviously. All things considered, it will probably be much easier getting Charlotte from Duke than Chicago. NC is really sensitive to ties and NC law schools.

There is a reason Duke has incredibly strong biglaw numbers. Duke places really well and with our small size, our career services people are fantastic in getting people the markets they want (within reason- below median at DC for example is gonna be hard, but possible if you hustle hard). So the small size really makes a difference in the amount of time career services can help each student really get the target market.
Thanks for the input! I have the weakest possible ties to NC, but everyone I met while visiting Duke said that Duke alone gives one the ties they need for it. I had family that lived outside of Charlotte and I used to visit quite often before they moved (to Atlanta) and I have a friend that lives and works in Charlotte currently. Not much really. I live fairly close to Chicago and have spent a good amount of time there, would that be enough to get me back to Chicago from Duke in the event I can't land Charlotte/Atlanta? If I'm not in the south, I really would prefer the largest market that is near my parents
I mean it sounds like you have some ties to Charlotte, which is good. You just have to be able to convince the interviewer that your ties + you going to Duke shows you really want to be in Charlotte for the long haul. NC firms can be sensitive about that. It sounds like you have enough.

As far as Chicago, you should have no problems getting back from Duke, especially given your ties to near Chicago. I think Duke is truly your best option here, and not because I am biased. Duke is much cheaper and gives you a much better shot at the southern markets than Chicago does. In much of the south, Duke is King, and Harvard/Yale is 2nd place (as far as lay prestige).

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:58 pm

chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

Duke is unique in that it really places well in a lot of markets (outside of YHS). Everyone can get NYC, most people can get DC, everyone I know who wanted Atlanta/Chicago/LA/SF/ and Texas big law got it. Some markets require more hustling or ties than others, like Charlotte for example. You will need ties to get into Charlotte, but obviously don't need ties to get NY. If you don't have ties to Charlotte, Charlotte biglaw will be near impossible from Duke or Chicago. Duke would have the geographic advantage obviously. All things considered, it will probably be much easier getting Charlotte from Duke than Chicago. NC is really sensitive to ties and NC law schools.

Thanks for the input! I have the weakest possible ties to NC, but everyone I met while visiting Duke said that Duke alone gives one the ties they need for it. I had family that lived outside of Charlotte and I used to visit quite often before they moved (to Atlanta) and I have a friend that lives and works in Charlotte currently. Not much really. I live fairly close to Chicago and have spent a good amount of time there, would that be enough to get me back to Chicago from Duke in the event I can't land Charlotte/Atlanta? If I'm not in the south, I really would prefer the largest market that is near my parents
For Chicago, definitely enough. Chicago is ties sensitive compared to NYC, but only in having a reason to be there. Being from the midwest is fine and we have a decent number of Duke grads at my firm.

I do not think Duke is enough to get Charlotte. I have a friend at Duke from the midwest and he struck out in Raleigh and Charlotte. Atlanta is a bigger market, so more opportunity, but again they do like ties. I would check the Atlanta threads in legal employment or just ask a general ATL question here to get more info

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 2:59 pm

grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

I mean it sounds like you have some ties to Charlotte, which is good. You just have to be able to convince the interviewer that your ties + you going to Duke shows you really want to be in Charlotte for the long haul. NC firms can be sensitive about that. It sounds like you have enough.

As far as Chicago, you should have no problems getting back from Duke, especially given your ties to near Chicago. I think Duke is truly your best option here, and not because I am biased. Duke is much cheaper and gives you a much better shot at the southern markets than Chicago does. In much of the south, Duke is King, and Harvard/Yale is 2nd place (as far as lay prestige).
This takes Duke homerism a little too far. Also, in any place that might actually be true, definitely doesn't matter

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:01 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

This takes Duke homerism a little too far. Also, in any place that might actually be true, definitely doesn't matter
I agree it doesn't really matter, but it is true in a lot of the south. Getting charlotte/raleigh is always a gamble, but sounds like OP has enough to talk about + Duke to give him a better chance with these markets than going to Chicago. Plus the cost is also a big difference. Everything points to Duke here.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:11 pm

grades?? wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
grades?? wrote:
chargers21 wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:

I agree it doesn't really matter, but it is true in a lot of the south. Getting charlotte/raleigh is always a gamble, but sounds like OP has enough to talk about + Duke to give him a better chance with these markets than going to Chicago. Plus the cost is also a big difference. Everything points to Duke here.
Eh, a lot of the south also hates Duke and thinks of it as being filled with rich yankees. I agree going to Duke makes sense. Just that it would be a bad move to put all their eggs in Charlotte/Atlanta basket when their only ties would be visiting family and going to Duke. My buddy that struck out at big law in NC from Duke even had their S/O at Duke med so had a good reason to want to stay. But they also bid Chicago so didn't end up jobless.

Edit: Though OP should go back to Michigan with Duke's offer
Last edited by trebekismyhero on Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:13 pm

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:16 pm

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:19 pm

chargers21 wrote:does career services help out with how to bid for optimum outcomes?
Yes, extensively. I spoke to my career counselor at least 5 times over the phone to discuss bid strategy over the summer. My friends all did as well. They really make sure you have an optimal bid strategy given your market preferences and grades.

Also, I do agree its possible to strike out from NC biglaw from Duke. It happens. But I think OP has a better chance from Duke than Chicago. And Duke will certainly get him back to Chicago. This class is sending kids to Foley Chicago, Kirkland Chicago, Steptoe Chicago, and others.

Lavitz

Gold

Post by Lavitz » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:20 pm

chargers21 wrote:Along the lines of a few other threads, but am I crazy for turning down Chicago to go to Duke?
Along the lines of a few other threads, no.

Desert Fox

Diamond

Post by Desert Fox » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:20 pm

Michigan - 75k
Texas - 110k

Where are you going to find the 60k you'll have to pay to avoid Uchi?
Last edited by Desert Fox on Sat Jan 27, 2018 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:25 pm

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:26 pm

grades?? wrote:This class is sending kids to Foley Chicago, Kirkland Chicago, Steptoe Chicago, and others.
I agree that Duke is the right move here, but let's not start making shit up.

Kirkland SA 2017 - Chicago (58)

Northwestern: 16
Michigan: 9
University of Chicago: 6
DePaul: 3
Howard: 2
Penn: 2
University of Illinois: 2
Loyola: 2
Harvard: 2
University of Virginia: 2
Chicago-Kent: 1
Vanderbilt: 1
Notre Dame: 1
Indiana—Bloomington: 1
Yale: 1
Wash U: 1
Cornell: 1
William & Mary: 1
NYU: 1
University of Iowa: 1
UNC: 1
Boston University: 1

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:28 pm

Blackfish wrote:
grades?? wrote:This class is sending kids to Foley Chicago, Kirkland Chicago, Steptoe Chicago, and others.

I was talking about the current graduating class, but I could be wrong about that. I apologize for not knowing 100% who accepted their offers after 2L summers.

chargers21

Gold

Post by chargers21 » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:28 pm

lawlorbust

Bronze

Post by lawlorbust » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:29 pm

Although, tbf, looks like UChicago isn't sending kids there either!
Blackfish wrote:

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:36 pm

grades?? wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

I was talking about the current graduating class, but I could be wrong about that. I apologize for not knowing 100% who accepted their offers after 2L summers.
KE Chicago had 0 summers from Duke last summer, too. So wrong again. Stop making shit up. Just take the L and move on. I know you want to be a homer for your own law school, but you're fucking with people's livelihood and careers when you start pulling shit out of your ass. Duke is objectively the better move here, and that's that.

grades??

Silver

Post by grades?? » Sun Apr 16, 2017 3:38 pm

Blackfish wrote:
grades?? wrote:
Blackfish wrote:

KE Chicago had 0 summers from Duke last summer, too. So wrong again. Stop making shit up. Just take the L and move on. I know you want to be a homer for your own law school, but you're fucking with people's livelihood and careers when you start pulling shit out of your ass. Duke is objectively the better move here, and that's that.
Dude idk what triggered you so much. I admitted I could be wrong about it. You have some serious issue here. But whatever dude, I hope you get over whatever is making you an asshole over an internet forum. Maybe you didn't get a return offer from Kirkland?

Blackfish

New

Post by Blackfish » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:02 pm

*Duke has no one at KE Chicago this summer*
grades?? wrote: I was talking about the current graduating class, but I could be wrong about that.
*Duke had no one at KE Chicago last summer*
grades?? wrote:
Dude idk what triggered you so much. I admitted I could be wrong about it. You have some serious issue here. But whatever dude, I hope you get over whatever is making you an asshole over an internet forum. Maybe you didn't get a return offer from Kirkland?
*Gets caught lying, self-pwns, and then rages*

Classic.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Sun Apr 16, 2017 4:09 pm

OP, excluding the Duke homerism arguments. The takeaways are
1) Duke probably is the right answer, but take your Duke offer back to Michigan. If Michigan ups their scholarship offer then it is a different answer
2) Don't put all your eggs in the Charlotte/Atlanta basket, especially with no real ties

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”