Columbia sticker vs NU freeride vs Retake and Recycle Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Columbia at sticker
5%
Northwestern freeride
90%
If no luck with Harvard - recycle
4%

Total votes: 156

nimbus cloud

Silver

Re: Columbia sticker vs NU freeride vs Retake and Recycle

Post by nimbus cloud » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:04 pm

The older TLS crew should get a Pulitzer for public service or something. I am only half joking. Almost went to a TTT at sticker -- then discovered TLS, studied a little bit, retook the LSAT a couple of times and now going to a T10 for free. I am one of many. Find me a New York Times reporter who has made such a tangible difference.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:05 pm

tinyvessels wrote: I have zero interest in BL, so I may be missing something obvious...But why would Harvard Law guarantee a job in NYC, but not LA?
Greater supply of jobs in NYC. And "guarantee" is a little strong. More like "highly likely"--a very awkward person (or someone who actually managed to get a few rare LP grades) could strike out in NYC despite going to Harvard.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:23 pm

I actually wonder how many full ride merit scholarships there are in the T14 (or T13 or T12 whatever.) I've never calculated it but there aren't many. Does anyone know? I think around 30 Dillard scholars is one figure that pops to mind.

Re supply of jobs: How many LA biglaw firms are there and what is the clas size?
Last edited by Npret on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

T3TON

New

Post by T3TON » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:11 am

I think some of the conclusions ITT have been hasty. Sure, Columbia at sticker is a terrible option for your goals. But if you think you have LSAT points left on the table then retake/reapply might not be a bad idea.

LA is a tough market to land. I cant verify the hiring partner's numbers but either way youll need a strong 1L performance at NU to be competitive. If you want to land at one of the top places (firms like MTO, lit boutiques like Hueston Hennigan) your grades would have to be stellar.

Retaking/reapplying could cost you your full ride. On the other hand it could land you Stanford or Berkeley at a discount. If youre truly LA-or-bust the difference in cost between a full ride and discounted tuition (70k-90k) isnt totally ridiculous. It all comes down to your own tolerance for debt and risk.

If you get in to Harvard off the waitlist and it comes through with big need aid that might be a great option.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:58 am

T3TON wrote:I think some of the conclusions ITT have been hasty. Sure, Columbia at sticker is a terrible option for your goals. But if you think you have LSAT points left on the table then retake/reapply might not be a bad idea.

LA is a tough market to land. I cant verify the hiring partner's numbers but either way youll need a strong 1L performance at NU to be competitive. If you want to land at one of the top places (firms like MTO, lit boutiques like Hueston Hennigan) your grades would have to be stellar.

Retaking/reapplying could cost you your full ride. On the other hand it could land you Stanford or Berkeley at a discount. If youre truly LA-or-bust the difference in cost between a full ride and discounted tuition (70k-90k) isnt totally ridiculous. It all comes down to your own tolerance for debt and risk.

If you get in to Harvard off the waitlist and it comes through with big need aid that might be a great option.
I honestly believe he might just have to adjust his goals rather than going to a law school focused on working at one or two firms. Won't he need stellar grades from
anywhere to get those firms? How many biglaw SAs are there in the LA market?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:34 am

Your thread title should be 'NU freeride or retake.' You absolutely should not go to Columbia at sticker. Listen to all of the people who are actually lawyers or who have actually taken out debt for law school.

I'd argue that your goals don't justify Harvard sticker. I also don't think Harvard sticker is a good idea. The reality of the debt is starting to hit a lot of my classmates, and it hurts.

I'd feel super bad for you if you fuck your life by taking out 300K+ in debt. That's a house. That's retirement. That's a fundamentally different life.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:07 am

I'm really looking forward to next year's thread when OP is deciding between half CLS and HLS at sticker (but just can't let go of that HLS prestige). I'm sure this will be just as fun the second time.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:09 am

nu

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:16 am

quiver wrote:I'm really looking forward to next year's thread when OP is deciding between half CLS and HLS at sticker (but just can't let go of that HLS prestige). I'm sure this will be just as fun the second time.
If he gets into Harvard he's going whatever it costs. I'm still betting there is a solid shot he goes to Columbia this year.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:17 am

I think this might be the most lopsided vote I've seen to date. Kudos, random voters, you're emphasizing how illogical this decision will be when OP ends up at Columbia at sticker or HLS next cycle at sticker.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:18 am

Dcc617 wrote:Your thread title should be 'NU freeride or retake.' You absolutely should not go to Columbia at sticker. Listen to all of the people who are actually lawyers or who have actually taken out debt for law school.

I'd argue that your goals don't justify Harvard sticker. I also don't think Harvard sticker is a good idea. The reality of the debt is starting to hit a lot of my classmates, and it hurts.

I'd feel super bad for you if you fuck your life by taking out 300K+ in debt. That's a house. That's retirement. That's a fundamentally different life.
Doing the lord's work right here. If OP can't listen to current HLS students recommending avoiding debt for Columbia and HLS, then they seriously aren't listening to anyone.

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:35 am

UVA2B wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:Your thread title should be 'NU freeride or retake.' You absolutely should not go to Columbia at sticker. Listen to all of the people who are actually lawyers or who have actually taken out debt for law school.

Doing the lord's work right here. If OP can't listen to current HLS students recommending avoiding debt for Columbia and HLS, then they seriously aren't listening to anyone.
He's not listening to anyone except a random emailer about NU job placement. I admit I'm enjoying this more than I should. Few posters are so unable to eventually see through their own BS.

quiver

Silver

Post by quiver » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:40 am

UVA2B wrote:

And actual practicing lawyers who are currently dealing with the debt.

With respect to OP's legacy point, that seems pretty silly and shortsighted. Legacy of what? Your kids won't care where their dad went to law school, you'll just be their dad. And none of your kids' friends will care either. The "legacy" that will matter is providing your kids with the same or better opportunities than you had, and that's something an extra 300k+ will do. When your kids can go to HLS without taking on debt because you went to NU on full scholarship, what will that do for your legacy?

To the extent you mean "legacy" in the sense of what your peers think, you're just talking about prestige, which is what this thread has been railing against from the beginning. CLS and HLS will provide a slight benefit for LA biglaw, but not one worth 300k+.

This seems to be falling on deaf ears, though.

Enjoy your "legacy", OP.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:44 am

Why is this even a question?

Obviously NU freeride. Recycling would probably get you more acceptances (since you did apply late), but I don't think a retake is going to do you a whole lot of good. You've already got median or higher for every school out there.

Future Ex-Engineer

Silver

Post by Future Ex-Engineer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 9:53 am

FLSFHYS wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: I don't see how the HLS waitlist makes much difference here unless you would anticipate receiving substantial need-based aid. The value proposition between Northwestern for free and CLS at sticker or HLS at sticker doesn't change much. True, HLS is stronger than both CLS and Northwestern in placing into SoCal, but only by degrees. You're still faced with a very similar decision where the best choice is to go to Northwestern or negotiate a larger aid package from another school.
Significant need-based is a real possibility (I'm broke), and HLS seems to be quite a bit stronger for SoCal than Columbia or NU. If it is indeed top 30% of Columbia grads that have solid chances at top firms, it definitely improves up to the median with HLS, which is more or less a guarantee of a job. All things considered, the opportunities, the alumni network, and the legacy value of HLS make it well worth it in my eyes, even at sticker.
I think this is the most hilarious part of the whole deal here - OP is broke and is still turning his nose up at a free degree from a literal top/elite school. In a few years, look back and this and remember that it is entirely your own fault that you are poor/broke.

Also, why the hell is Berkeley not on this list of options if you want Cali BigLaw so bad? Surely with your stats you could at least get some money from BoalTTT

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:00 am

mrgstephe wrote:
FLSFHYS wrote:
jbagelboy wrote: I don't see how the HLS waitlist makes much difference here unless you would anticipate receiving substantial need-based aid. The value proposition between Northwestern for free and CLS at sticker or HLS at sticker doesn't change much. True, HLS is stronger than both CLS and Northwestern in placing into SoCal, but only by degrees. You're still faced with a very similar decision where the best choice is to go to Northwestern or negotiate a larger aid package from another school.
Significant need-based is a real possibility (I'm broke), and HLS seems to be quite a bit stronger for SoCal than Columbia or NU. If it is indeed top 30% of Columbia grads that have solid chances at top firms, it definitely improves up to the median with HLS, which is more or less a guarantee of a job. All things considered, the opportunities, the alumni network, and the legacy value of HLS make it well worth it in my eyes, even at sticker.
I think this is the most hilarious part of the whole deal here - OP is broke and is still turning his nose up at a free degree from a literal top/elite school. In a few years, look back and this and remember that it is entirely your own fault that you are poor/broke.

Also, why the hell is Berkeley not on this list of options if you want Cali BigLaw so bad? Surely with your stats you could at least get some money from BoalTTT
Berkeley waitlisted him despite his excellent "why Berkeley?" essay. It's in an earlier post in the thread.
Stanford straight out denied OP.

philepistemer

Bronze

Post by philepistemer » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:32 am

OP, I went to Columbia, paid sticker, got a job at a v5, and if I could go back and choose some other T14 at even an 80k discount I would. How successful you are in law depends a lot more on what you can produce than on where you got your degree. Yes, Columbia will make it a little easier to get a job at a top firm, but 250k lower net worth will make it much more difficult to exercise all the random options life will generate for you once you graduate. You will be stuck in biglaw and may have to forego opportunities that could make you a lot more successful than a partner at a top firm.

Dont. Fucking. Go. To. Columbia.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

MediocreAtBest

Silver

Post by MediocreAtBest » Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:37 am

What happens when you go $300k in debt and don't get into LA biglaw? Not like top 1/3 at CLS is easy. :shock:

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:48 am

Dcc617 wrote: I'd argue that your goals don't justify Harvard sticker. I also don't think Harvard sticker is a good idea.
But the legacy benefits! Doors will be flying off their hinges!

OP follow your dreams !

btruj777

Bronze

Post by btruj777 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:50 am

philepistemer wrote:OP, I went to Columbia, paid sticker, got a job at a v5, and if I could go back and choose some other T14 at even an 80k discount I would. How successful you are in law depends a lot more on what you can produce than on where you got your degree. Yes, Columbia will make it a little easier to get a job at a top firm, but 250k lower net worth will make it much more difficult to exercise all the random options life will generate for you once you graduate. You will be stuck in biglaw and may have to forego opportunities that could make you a lot more successful than a partner at a top firm.

Dont. Fucking. Go. To. Columbia.
I am not the OP, but as someone doing research, I appreciate your honesty! Thanks for the insight!

Justtrying2help

Bronze

Post by Justtrying2help » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:23 pm

So what are you going to OP? We are dying to know.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Scurvy Cur

New

Post by Scurvy Cur » Thu Apr 13, 2017 4:52 pm

I'm actually fairly sure the correct course of action is to write a heartfelt letter to NU's admissions office requesting that they turn that full ride scholarship over to a deserving soul who would be genuinely thrilled at the opportunity, since the OP is hellbent on turning his nose up at it.

Pomeranian

Bronze

Post by Pomeranian » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:12 pm

Also, Columbia has a very competitive, cold and cutthroat vibe. Whereas Northwestern is "Midwestern nice" and has a very professional vibe due to the work experience factor in admissions.
Last edited by Pomeranian on Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

poptart123

Silver

Post by poptart123 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:14 pm

Also NU was in Making a Murder sooooo

Po$eidon

Bronze

Post by Po$eidon » Thu Apr 13, 2017 5:33 pm

Pomeranian wrote:Also, Columbia has a very competitive, cold and cutthroat vibe. Whereas Northwestern is "Midwestern nice" and has a very professional vibe due to the work experience factor in admissions.
I've heard stories from Columbia that were :shock:

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”