Columbia sticker vs NU freeride vs Retake and Recycle Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

What should I do?

Columbia at sticker
5%
Northwestern freeride
90%
If no luck with Harvard - recycle
4%

Total votes: 156

star fox

Diamond

Re: Columbia sticker vs NU freeride vs Retake and Recycle

Post by star fox » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:52 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Npret wrote:
dabigchina wrote:If you're targeting CA biglaw you're going to need to work your ass off anywhere.
That just aren't that many jobs there tbh.
I've seen this assertion in various forms in this thread, and it's not true. There are more big law jobs in California than any other state aside from New York. The state has two major markets: LA and SF/SV.

California is not Georgia or Minnesota: it's a huge state with a ton of big law jobs. It's not particularly hard for a T14 student to get a job here. There are no guarantees--and NYC will always be the easiest market for students looking for big-law jobs--but California isn't some special niche market.
Of course, he musta meant "many jobs, relative to the number of people seeking to work there"

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 20, 2017 6:59 pm

rpupkin wrote:
Npret wrote:
dabigchina wrote:If you're targeting CA biglaw you're going to need to work your ass off anywhere.
That just aren't that many jobs there tbh.
I've seen this assertion in various forms in this thread, and it's not true. There are more big law jobs in California than any other state aside from New York. The state has two major markets: LA and SF/SV.

California is not Georgia or Minnesota: it's a huge state with a ton of big law jobs. It's not particularly hard for a T14 student to get a job here. There are no guarantees--and NYC will always be the easiest market for students looking for big-law jobs--but California isn't some special niche market.
You're right. How many big law non IP jobs are there in California, any idea? Oh maybe OP cares about IP?
Any thoughts on whether UCLA is better?

FLSFHYS

New

Post by FLSFHYS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:34 pm

Npret wrote: You're right. How many big law non IP jobs are there in California, any idea? Oh maybe OP cares about IP?
Not a scientific undegrad degree, so don't care about IP.
UCLA is out of the question, since getting biglaw somewhere is more important to me than getting CA right after graduation, and UCLA's biglaw placement in not nearly as good as NU's. An NU degree seems to more or less guarantee biglaw at least in NYC, and getting CA biglaw after a few years in NYC seems to be easily doable. Granted, CA biglaw out of the gate would be much more preferrable, but UCLA would put me at risk of not getting biglaw at all.

Pure Applesauce

Bronze

Post by Pure Applesauce » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:35 pm

If you are fine with generic NYC Big Law, then that makes this even easier to go with NU

Npret

Gold

Post by Npret » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:36 pm

FLSFHYS wrote:
Npret wrote: You're right. How many big law non IP jobs are there in California, any idea? Oh maybe OP cares about IP?
UCLA is out of the question, since getting biglaw somewhere is more important to me than getting CA right after graduation, and UCLA's biglaw placement in not nearly as good as NU's. An NU degree seems to more or less guarantee biglaw at least in NYC, and getting CA biglaw after a few years in NYC seems to be easily doable. Granted, CA biglaw out of the gate would be much more preferrable, but UCLA would put me at risk of not getting biglaw at all.
Ah ok. Thanks for clarifying. I hope you go to NU for free.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

FLSFHYS

New

Post by FLSFHYS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 7:42 pm

Pure Applesauce wrote:If you are fine with generic NYC Big Law, then that makes this even easier to go with NU
I'm not particularly thrilled about this potential outcome, but I'm at the point of managing my expectations in light of the information I gathered.

rpupkin

Platinum

Post by rpupkin » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:16 pm

FLSFHYS wrote:
You've been beaten up a lot in this thread, so I'll bother to note that your thinking in this post is both logical and sensible.

FLSFHYS

New

Post by FLSFHYS » Thu Apr 20, 2017 8:53 pm

rpupkin wrote:
FLSFHYS wrote:
You've been beaten up a lot in this thread, so I'll bother to note that your thinking in this post is both logical and sensible.
I'm not sure how other people use these message boards, but I've always thought of them as a way to see if my reservations are held by others and to gather relevant evidence from the people who have it. Advocating for the position you want to hear arguments against seems to be the most effective way to do that. In their zeal to prove someone wrong, many will often go out of their way to produce evidence to reaffirm their point, which did happen to a degree in this thread. To tell the truth, I had hoped for a bit more tangible statistical data, but 5 pages of anecdotal information and advice on how to gather the info I needed were still valuable. So, I'd like to thank the people who contributed good information and thank the haters for bumping this topic :D

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Choosing a Law School”