Northwestern vs. WashU; huge disparity in price Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:14 pm

WashU
47%
Northwestern
53%

Total votes: 43

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Re: Northwestern vs. WashU; huge disparity in price

Post by Hikikomorist » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:13 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:While NU is better for biglaw at median, also consider that if you happen to strike gold and kill it there, the opportunities for a top NU student are substantially greater than those for a top WUSTL student. The best you can do from wustl is a non-competitive CoA clerkship or Cravath/Sullcrom. Firms like Williams & Connolly and feeder judges/competitive clerkships are out of reach even for #1 here. This is not so for NU.
Substantially greater opportunities with the same pay, oh boy!

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:17 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:While NU is better for biglaw at median, also consider that if you happen to strike gold and kill it there, the opportunities for a top NU student are substantially greater than those for a top WUSTL student. The best you can do from wustl is a non-competitive CoA clerkship or Cravath/Sullcrom. Firms like Williams & Connolly and feeder judges/competitive clerkships are out of reach even for #1 here. This is not so for NU.
lol
Uhhh you are aware it's way easier to get an 8th Circuit clerkship than a 2d/DC Circuit clerkship, right?

@Hikiko: Actually, W&C full comp is below market, so just lol at those idiots who go there over market paying biglaw, LOL!

Commoncourtesy

New

Post by Commoncourtesy » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:24 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
lol
Uhhh you are aware it's way easier to get an 8th Circuit clerkship than a 2d/DC Circuit clerkship, right?

@Hikiko: Actually, W&C full comp is below market, so just lol at those idiots who go there over market paying biglaw, LOL!

Someone who's a 3L has a DC circuit clerkship...

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 8:29 am

Commoncourtesy wrote:
PeanutsNJam wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
lol

Someone who's a 3L has a DC circuit clerkship...
Then color me thoroughly impressed. Nobody in my year to my knowledge has a 2d/DC/9th Circuit CoA clerkship, although I've heard of 1 or 2 WUSTL students going to 9th Cir before. Definitely nobody going to feeder judges or SDNY though. There's a reason there hasn't been a SCOTUS clerk from wustl in like over 60 years or something.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:04 am

In no circumstances should anyone ever go to Northwestern with the goal of working at Williams & Connolly or clerking for SCOTUS.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

irishballa

New

Post by irishballa » Wed Apr 12, 2017 12:36 pm

I'd go Northwestern here. Although I think it's close. It's more of a long-term hedge. If you can get 5K–10K more from NU, it becomes a much easier decision, however.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:14 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Might have missed something in OP/follow-up post, but why not retake?
I kind of think this might be the answer too. Do you think you could do better on the lsat?

But if you're going to go this year, I don't love the cost of NU but I think it's probably worth it for the downside risk.
I scored a 174 on a practice test recently. Was contemplating putting a deposit down, and then take the LSAt to get off waitlists and/or more money from NU

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:15 pm

irishballa wrote:I'd go Northwestern here. Although I think it's close. It's more of a long-term hedge. If you can get 5K–10K more from NU, it becomes a much easier decision, however.
They shot down my negotiation, but I'm playing till the bitter end

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:16 pm

star fox wrote:In no circumstances should anyone ever go to Northwestern with the goal of working at Williams & Connolly or clerking for SCOTUS.
But with my goals in mind, is NU worth the extra cost? I'm starting to get cold feet now that I have a real number in loans I'd have to take out...

What really scares me is going to NU and not getting big law, but still having those loans to pay back.
Last edited by carsondalywashere on Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:28 pm

I feel like since this is a degree that I will carry around with me for the rest of my life, it is worth the cost. However, the possibility of going to WashU and landing big law is hard to pass up...all that gravy lol. Not to mention I won't have to get big law if I don't graduate with debt.
But I did love NU when I visited, and the big city lifestyle is something I want to have for at least a portion of my life

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:52 pm

PeanutsNJam wrote:
TatteredDignity wrote:
lol
Sure. But "less competitive" isn't the same as "non-competitive." And even 8th circuit gigs are insanely competitive.

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:54 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
star fox wrote:In no circumstances should anyone ever go to Northwestern with the goal of working at Williams & Connolly or clerking for SCOTUS.
But with my goals in mind, is NU worth the extra cost? I'm starting to get cold feet now that I have a real number in loans I'd have to take out...

What really scares me is going to NU and not getting big law, but still having those loans to pay back.
I'd choose WashU in your shoes but understand if you go with NU. If you strike out, probably commit yourself to the Debt Forgiveness programs, so decide for yourself how ok with that you are.

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:07 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:
Hikikomorist wrote:Might have missed something in OP/follow-up post, but why not retake?
I kind of think this might be the answer too. Do you think you could do better on the lsat?

But if you're going to go this year, I don't love the cost of NU but I think it's probably worth it for the downside risk.
I scored a 174 on a practice test recently. Was contemplating putting a deposit down, and then take the LSAt to get off waitlists and/or more money from NU
Yeah, that is a good call to retake in June. Especially if you're PTing well

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:12 pm

Yeah man go to NU, you have better odds of becoming a SCOTUS clerk /s

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:31 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

But where to deposit....I feel 50/50, and all the advice I've been given is 50/50 as well.

Even my gut changes on this one

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:33 pm

acr wrote:Yeah man go to NU, you have better odds of becoming a SCOTUS clerk /s
That's not even a consideration. I'm assessing this choice based on worst possible outcomes.

Unemployed/40-50k lawyer in STL vs. strike out in big law and still have loans to pay/golden handcuffs

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:40 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
acr wrote:Yeah man go to NU, you have better odds of becoming a SCOTUS clerk /s
That's not even a consideration. I'm assessing this choice based on worst possible outcomes.

Unemployed/40-50k lawyer in STL vs. strike out in big law and still have loans to pay/golden handcuffs
I was being sarcastic in response to PeanutsNJam's earlier comment about SCOTUS clerk outcomes from WUSTL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

trebekismyhero

Silver

Post by trebekismyhero » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:46 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

But where to deposit....I feel 50/50, and all the advice I've been given is 50/50 as well.

This is one of the tougher choices we've seen. It will end up a totally personal call. I might lean NU, but not by much

njdevils2626

Silver

Post by njdevils2626 » Wed Apr 12, 2017 3:51 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
I feel like since this is a degree that I will carry around with me for the rest of my life, it is worth the cost. However, the possibility of going to WashU and landing big law is hard to pass up...all that gravy lol. Not to mention I won't have to get big law if I don't graduate with debt.
But I did love NU when I visited, and the big city lifestyle is something I want to have for at least a portion of my life
I definitely understand your wavering on this decision. I'm a 3L at Wash U, luckily graduating debt-free and landed the gravy train. I have absolutely loved my time at Wash U and have no regrets, everything worked out exactly as I had hoped it would for me. That said, I still think that if I had had your options, I would have chosen NU for reasons that have already been developed in this thread (and that don't include pie in the sky dreams of SCOTUS clerkships)

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:46 pm

trebekismyhero wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
trebekismyhero wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
existentialcrisis wrote:

This is one of the tougher choices we've seen. It will end up a totally personal call. I might lean NU, but not by much
I think I am more excited about the prospect of attending NU, but I don't want my feelings to guide my thinking. I'm a St. Louis boy, and would enjoy WashU as well. Honestly depends on the hour which way I'm leaning, but thanks for all of your advice

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 6:49 pm

njdevils2626 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
I definitely understand your wavering on this decision. I'm a 3L at Wash U, luckily graduating debt-free and landed the gravy train. I have absolutely loved my time at Wash U and have no regrets, everything worked out exactly as I had hoped it would for me. That said, I still think that if I had had your options, I would have chosen NU for reasons that have already been developed in this thread (and that don't include pie in the sky dreams of SCOTUS clerkships)
Thanks for your comment!

If I went to WashU, I'd probably just focus on doing whatever I can to land a STL big law job (how realistic would clerking for the Supreme Court of Missouri be? I'm guessing that's a very difficult gig to land).

If NU, I'd be open to pretty much any path, as it seems generic big law in Chicago and NYC are realistic outcomes at median. In addition, I think I can bounce back to STL if I decided I want to come home. So it probably makes sense to suck it up and pay the loans to go to NU.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 12, 2017 10:51 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
Thanks for your comment!

If I went to WashU, I'd probably just focus on doing whatever I can to land a STL big law job (how realistic would clerking for the Supreme Court of Missouri be? I'm guessing that's a very difficult gig to land).

If NU, I'd be open to pretty much any path, as it seems generic big law in Chicago and NYC are realistic outcomes at median. In addition, I think I can bounce back to STL if I decided I want to come home. So it probably makes sense to suck it up and pay the loans to go to NU.
Missouri Supreme Court is pretty attainable, actually. Your grades will matter, but it's more about making connections with the right professors.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:08 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
njdevils2626 wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
Thanks for your comment!

Missouri Supreme Court is pretty attainable, actually. Your grades will matter, but it's more about making connections with the right professors.
.....fuck, I don't know which path to take

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:28 pm

Just read NU will be curving all classes from now on; what impact should this have on my decision making? I'm assuming WashU already does this?

star fox

Diamond

Post by star fox » Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:31 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Just read NU will be curving all classes from now on; what impact should this have on my decision making? I'm assuming WashU already does this?
It probably shouldn't. This effects upper level course (2L/3L). Your 1L courses will already be curved and those are the only grades you have going into OCI.

A bummer nonetheless, since uncurved classes are sweet.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”