Northwestern vs. WashU; huge disparity in price Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Poll ended at Sat Apr 15, 2017 6:14 pm

WashU
47%
Northwestern
53%

Total votes: 43

Rigo

Diamond

Re: Northwestern vs. WashU; huge disparity in price

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 8:21 am

TatteredDignity wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:So WashU does have a 45% big law, fed clerk number. Does this make spending the money on NU unjustified?
Where are you getting that number? Seems pretty rosy.
http://law.wustl.edu/career_services/em ... y-2017.pdf
WUSTL did really well this year (c/o 2016)

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:54 am

Wow. Big jump from ~30% in 2014. Wonder how c/o 2016 did that. Good work.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:14 am

TatteredDignity wrote:Wow. Big jump from ~30% in 2014. Wonder how c/o 2016 did that. Good work.
Good class size+strong-ish economy, I'm guessing.
c/o 2017 was massive so might fall back down to earth next year.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:09 pm

TatteredDignity wrote:Wow. Big jump from ~30% in 2014. Wonder how c/o 2016 did that. Good work.
Since this is the case, would it be wise to take the money?

RedPurpleBlue

Silver

Post by RedPurpleBlue » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:49 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
Look at trends, not single data points. This year seems to be an outlier for most all regional law schools. These are the results for the c/o 2016; they are not necessarily going to be the stats for the c/o 2020.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:56 pm

RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
Look at trends, not single data points. This year seems to be an outlier for most all regional law schools. These are the results for the c/o 2016; they are not necessarily going to be the stats for the c/o 2020.
Right, but it could indicate that legal hiring is picking back up.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 2:59 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
What goes up must come down &c.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 3:11 pm

Rigo wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
RedPurpleBlue wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:
What goes up must come down &c.
I certainly agree; heck, may be better to judge a school based off its recession employment numbers.

I want to go to NU, but I don't know if I can pay for it.

mickey_mouse

Bronze

Post by mickey_mouse » Mon Apr 10, 2017 5:52 pm

NU 2L now, I essentially made the same choice you did a couple years back. I had the same scholarship offers you now have from NU and WashU (plus a slightly smaller offer from Mich). Obviously, chose NU. Happy with my choice, but obviously have no idea how WUSTL would have turned out for me. To me, NU is worth the extra money. The opportunities, the better network, being considered in the top tier of schools... to me they're worth more than the extra debt was going to cost. tbh, I haven't found NU super stressful either. Put your head down, do your work as a 1L and you should end up in the top half of the class without issue, and you'll be able to feel pretty comfortable going into OCIs.

Also, NU attracts a fair amount of transfers from WUSTL every year. Not sure if they're eligible for scholarship dollars, but might be worth looking into if you're really concerned about too much debt.

PM me with specific questions-- it's hard to give really specific advice when I'm not sure what your primary concerns might be. I also might be willing to divulge more info about my situation than I would in the public forum.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 6:16 pm

mickey_mouse wrote:NU 2L now, I essentially made the same choice you did a couple years back. I had the same scholarship offers you now have from NU and WashU (plus a slightly smaller offer from Mich). Obviously, chose NU. Happy with my choice, but obviously have no idea how WUSTL would have turned out for me. To me, NU is worth the extra money. The opportunities, the better network, being considered in the top tier of schools... to me they're worth more than the extra debt was going to cost. tbh, I haven't found NU super stressful either. Put your head down, do your work as a 1L and you should end up in the top half of the class without issue, and you'll be able to feel pretty comfortable going into OCIs.

Also, NU attracts a fair amount of transfers from WUSTL every year. Not sure if they're eligible for scholarship dollars, but might be worth looking into if you're really concerned about too much debt.

PM me with specific questions-- it's hard to give really specific advice when I'm not sure what your primary concerns might be. I also might be willing to divulge more info about my situation than I would in the public forum.

Mickey, I will follow up with you once I have access to a laptop later

Added a poll btw

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:41 pm

Something else I was thinking about was possibly reapplying next year since I wouldn't have to report my parents' financials....is that a feasible idea?

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:54 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Something else I was thinking about was possibly reapplying next year since I wouldn't have to report my parents' financials....is that a feasible idea?
Eh. Law schoo financial aid is mostly merit-based anyways except for HYS. I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Mon Apr 10, 2017 10:19 pm

Rigo wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Something else I was thinking about was possibly reapplying next year since I wouldn't have to report my parents' financials....is that a feasible idea?
Eh. Law schoo financial aid is mostly merit-based anyways except for HYS. I wouldn't let this be a deciding factor.
Hmm okay, good to know.

Also, when should one consider doing a double seat deposit?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LET'S GET IT

Silver

Post by LET'S GET IT » Mon Apr 10, 2017 11:23 pm

Current WashU 3L here. They are both solid options considering your circumstances, but NU is the better option imo for reasons that have already been discussed itt. Good luck.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:10 pm

LET'S GET IT wrote:Current WashU 3L here. They are both solid options considering your circumstances, but NU is the better option imo for reasons that have already been discussed itt. Good luck.
Thanks for your input!

Hikikomorist

Platinum

Post by Hikikomorist » Tue Apr 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Might have missed something in OP/follow-up post, but why not retake?

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:12 pm

Are we in agreement that using this year's employment stats to make a judgment is a bad idea? WashU without debt plus big law would make me a rich man...

Also, when is putting deposits down at two places a good idea?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:56 pm

carsondalywashere wrote:Are we in agreement that using this year's employment stats to make a judgment is a bad idea? WashU without debt plus big law would make me a rich man...

Taking them into account isn't a terrible idea. But it's also important to consider their class size, as well as the fact that the employment data in general largely reflects OCI done in fall of 2014.

NU in general gives its median students a much better chance of landing big law than does WUSTL, regardless of WUSTL's class of 2016 stats.

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 6:42 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:
carsondalywashere wrote:Are we in agreement that using this year's employment stats to make a judgment is a bad idea? WashU without debt plus big law would make me a rich man...

Taking them into account isn't a terrible idea. But it's also important to consider their class size, as well as the fact that the employment data in general largely reflects OCI done in fall of 2014.

NU in general gives its median students a much better chance of landing big law than does WUSTL, regardless of WUSTL's class of 2016 stats.
Noted; thanks for your input.

NU just told me they will not be raising my package....not sure what to do now

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 7:42 pm

I was ready to attend NU if my scholarship was bumped up by 15-30k, but since my request was denied, I am starting to sway in the other direction. 115k more than WashU....

carsondalywashere

Silver

Post by carsondalywashere » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:08 pm

Okay, last time I bump this:

58-78k in loans (excluding summer associate earnings) at NU

or

WashU no loans, with aprox. 55k left over in savings

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Nebby

Diamond

Post by Nebby » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:12 pm

NU @ 78k

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:20 pm

Hikikomorist wrote:Might have missed something in OP/follow-up post, but why not retake?
I kind of think this might be the answer too. Do you think you could do better on the lsat?

But if you're going to go this year, I don't love the cost of NU but I think it's probably worth it for the downside risk.

PeanutsNJam

Gold

Post by PeanutsNJam » Wed Apr 12, 2017 1:37 am

While NU is better for biglaw at median, also consider that if you happen to strike gold and kill it there, the opportunities for a top NU student are substantially greater than those for a top WUSTL student. The best you can do from wustl is a non-competitive CoA clerkship or Cravath/Sullcrom. Firms like Williams & Connolly and feeder judges/competitive clerkships are out of reach even for #1 here. This is not so for NU.

TatteredDignity

Gold

Post by TatteredDignity » Wed Apr 12, 2017 7:39 am

PeanutsNJam wrote:While NU is better for biglaw at median, also consider that if you happen to strike gold and kill it there, the opportunities for a top NU student are substantially greater than those for a top WUSTL student. The best you can do from wustl is a non-competitive CoA clerkship or Cravath/Sullcrom. Firms like Williams & Connolly and feeder judges/competitive clerkships are out of reach even for #1 here. This is not so for NU.
lol

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”