UT v Bama v UGA With a Twist! Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
Rigo

Diamond

Re: UT v Bama v UGA With a Twist!

Post by Rigo » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:24 pm

Yeah I'd choose based on the law school, not the MPA.

ggmu1992

New

Post by ggmu1992 » Tue Apr 04, 2017 1:50 pm

zot1 wrote:
ggmu1992 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ggmu1992 wrote:
zot1 wrote:
ggmu1992 wrote:
My logical reasoning is just fine! And I am smarter than most people!
You're gonna be a great lawyer.
If this is an attack, it's weird that you chose these two sentences, out of all the things I've hurriedly typed this morning. Like... a defining characteristic of a lawyer is that they don't know basic facts about themselves? *shrugs*

You work in gov and could've given me actual advice!
You come to this forum to ask for advice. People give you advice. You disregard all of the advice you get because you're smarter than most people. Sounds to me like there's nothing I could tell you. You got this.
Bruh--I've repeatedly said that I appreciate all the advice, and have mentioned that arguing with stuff is my way of processing things. If you've unhesitatingly taken every piece of advice you've ever solicited, then you and I have very little common and that is why you are confused
Ugh no, that's not it.

Nevertheless, in the spirit of helping others, generally the Feds hire those in the top 30% of the class, with some agencies being pickier than others. Of those, agencies prefer students from top 50 schools. And if you have a t13 student in the top 30% versus someone from Bama, unless there's something special about the Bama student, the latter will lose every single time.

Feds are prestige crazy, specially when the hiring is done out of D.C. Regional offices are less prestige oriented because they want someone who will actually want to work in say Mississippi. But if HQ is doing the hiring for regional offices, the ole miss grad might still miss out. And this is also true if someone from a higher ranked school with better stats really demonstrates they want to move to the middle of nowhere.

Aside from this, banking on government hiring while we don't know where this administration is going is a big mistake. We are still in a hiring freeze and OMB has a mandate to reduce personnel. No one knows the long term effect of this.

And finally, all of the above lead to an ever increased pool of talent for little to no spots. My agency hired only clerks last year because the pool was so over the top talented. Imagine that, recent grads didn't even stand a chance. Of course this is not true of every agency, but things get tighter.
Dude! Thank you! This is helpful. Would you be able to point me towards any threads that talk about fed gov stuff more? I haven't been good at finding comprehensive information in here, just bits and pieces. Interested in availability/competition for jobs, responsibilities, regional vs DC stuff, anything really.

You don't have to, it's not your job to do research for me, but if you know anything off the top of your head that'd be great. Sometimes good discussions get buried in misleading titles around here

ggmu1992

New

Post by ggmu1992 » Fri Apr 21, 2017 6:01 pm

Just for closure for anyone curious, and for future viewers of this thread...

I decided to sit out and retake: (a) for better options, and (b) to make sure I'm not rushing things and know exactly what I want to do.

I am riding out H and S waitlist, but not yet sure I'd definitely accept if offered. Likely will depend on my retake in June (I.e., if I don't improve, then get offered if the WL list July, if probably go, assuming u felt comfortable about it).

So.. I GUESS... this thread got to me a little. MAYBE. :P

One last time: thanks for the input.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”