Cooley v. Thomas Jefferson law Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
hope12

New

Cooley v. Thomas Jefferson law

Post by hope12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:37 pm

I know TLS forum is only for folks who wants to be in T14, T30 or T1 law school. I am URM and English is not my native language. I've been in U.S for few years before taking the LSAT. LSAT is unequivocally onerous test for me and I am struggling with it a lot. But I always dream of becoming a lawyer. I got rejected from almost all schools I applied and Cooley and Thomas Jefferson exceptionally sent me an offer. I have no interest in big law and choose my career to speak for voiceless, poor immigrants; thus Immigration Law is my strong interest.

I got no $ scholly from Cooley and Thomas Jefferson. Any constructive, candid advice would be extraordinarily helpful and supportive.

LSAC GPA : 3.71
LSAT: 138

Thanks

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Re: Cooley v. Thomas Jefferson law

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm

Troll.

Sprout

Silver

Post by Sprout » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:38 pm

You gotta get your LSAT up. Retake. You can do it!

dbalkaran

Silver

Post by dbalkaran » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:39 pm

ponderingmeerkat wrote:Troll.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:43 pm

If this is not a troll, then don't go to law school with those options. You can work in immigration justice without a law degree. Plenty of people do it. Law school debt would be ruinous for you.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Colonel_funkadunk

Gold

Post by Colonel_funkadunk » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:47 pm

if ur gonna troll put some effort in

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:53 pm

Definitely choose Cooley. It's part of cooley llp (the biglaw firm) and so it gives you a guaranteed 2L SA just in case you don't get the immigration law job you want!

I'm kidding.
Last edited by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. on Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 31, 2017 1:54 pm

Dcc617 wrote:You can work in immigration justice without a law degree.
this is much better advice than retake. Go do this! People need help now and you want to help and you only have terrible options for school, so don't go! If in a few years you still want to go, revisit the test and see what happens.

silenttimer

Bronze

Post by silenttimer » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:21 pm

At its core, the LSAT is a reading comprehension test. If you are able to read and comprehend English enough to get a 3.71 GPA, being a non-native speaker should not hold you back from getting your score into the 150s. Regardless, I think you should go out and help those in need now in a non-legal capacity, while continue to study for the LSAT to get up your score.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:26 pm

silenttimer wrote:At its core, the LSAT is a reading comprehension test. If you are able to read and comprehend English enough to get a 3.71 GPA, being a non-native speaker should not hold you back from getting your score into the 150s. Regardless, I think you should go out and help those in need now in a non-legal capacity, while continue to study for the LSAT to get up your score.
+1

OP, just by reading your post, your english is great and you should definitely be able to score higher on the LSAT. With a better LSAT score, you can be in a much better position to help people. You can't help too many people when you're almost $250,000 in debt.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 2:38 pm

Someone with the vocabulary to use "unequivocally onerous" can 100% do better on the LSAT.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:37 pm

Rigo wrote:Someone with the vocabulary to use "unequivocally onerous" can 100% do better on the LSAT.
Actually, if this isn't a troll, the rest of the post does point to a non-native speaker who fed a bunch of words through a translator and a thesaurus.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
Rigo wrote:Someone with the vocabulary to use "unequivocally onerous" can 100% do better on the LSAT.
Actually, if this isn't a troll, the rest of the post does point to a non-native speaker who fed a bunch of words through a translator and a thesaurus.
Can confirm that schools abroad typically teach students to use much higher vocabulary than that found in the US lol

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 4:41 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:
True, I guess.
I just default to encouraging people to do better.

Better English than I've seen in other international posts but who knows what's using a translator or a troll or what.

hope12

New

Post by hope12 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:21 pm

I appreciate all of your supportive/poignant suggestions/comments . This post is not a troll and my question is bonda fine. The standardized test is never my strength. I know my options are unimpeachably poor but I really want to attend law school this year. As someone mentioned, the abroad schools solicite students for learning high vocabulary and I don't need to use translator to respond your comments

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:24 pm

If not a troll, just today I met a Cooley grad who has taken the bad four times and can't get a job. It's really sad.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:30 pm

hope12 wrote:I know TLS forum is only for folks who wants to be in T14, T30 or T1 law school. I am URM and English is not my native language. I've been in U.S for few years before taking the LSAT. LSAT is unequivocally onerous test for me and I am struggling with it a lot. But I always dream of becoming a lawyer. I got rejected from almost all schools I applied and Cooley and Thomas Jefferson exceptionally sent me an offer. I have no interest in big law and choose my career to speak for voiceless, poor immigrants; thus Immigration Law is my strong interest.

I got no $ scholly from Cooley and Thomas Jefferson. Any constructive, candid advice would be extraordinarily helpful and supportive.

LSAC GPA : 3.71
LSAT: 138

Thanks
These aren't just TTTT's they're arguably the worst TTTT's outside of infilaw. Thomas Jefferson is the kind of school that gets sued by students for being disingenuous about employment stats(google it, that actually happened). I'm also the positive guy around here and this is me saying this, I constantly speak out against those who treat the T13 as a default option for 0L's(btw it's the T13 now). Listen you may not be able to do good on the LSAT but at least try to crack the mid 140s(which is not difficult to do and even for someone with difficulties learning English should be attainable), you have a great GPA to balance out the bad LSAT score but a 138 is as uniquely bad score even at places that you applied to. If you were to crack the 150's and 160's you could easily go to a T1 or T2 school or maybe even a T13. Going to the schools you applied to for free would be bad enough never mind taking on huge debt for it. Also, where do you want to practice? Aside from retaking you should be looking at schools in your desired region, Cooley and Thomas Jefferson both place you in very different parts of the country. Once you improve your score, apply to schools in the region you want to practice.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:33 pm

Ferrisjso wrote: Also, where do you want to practice? Aside from retaking you should be looking at schools in your desired region, Cooley and Thomas Jefferson both place you in very different parts of the country.
Lies. They both place into the unemployment line.

Ferrisjso

Gold

Post by Ferrisjso » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm

Rigo wrote:
Ferrisjso wrote: Also, where do you want to practice? Aside from retaking you should be looking at schools in your desired region, Cooley and Thomas Jefferson both place you in very different parts of the country.
Lies. They both place into the unemployment line.
True(mostly anyway, look at Trump's lawyer). Where they attempt to place.

Bob loblaw law blog

Bronze

Post by Bob loblaw law blog » Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:37 pm

100% troll. The odds someone is deciding between perhaps the 2 most ridiculed law schools on this site are quite low. I look forward to OP's request for help deciding between Charlotte and Arizona summit.

If, somehow, this isn't a flame: Don't go. You will not get a job from either of those schools that will get you a VISA and then you will be unable to stay in the US. So you will be back where you are now, with a US law degree that isn't respected in the US let alone other countries. Oh, and you'll be in hundreds of thousands of dollars of debt but hey maybe it'll be easier to hide from your creditors when you're outside the US, idk.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:54 pm

Serious question for people, and I hope I am not being rude to OP (your English is much better than I am at any foreign languages), how does law school work for foreign students that are not fluent? I have seen a lot of posts by international applicants that obviously have some difficulties with grammar and sentence structure. It is the sort of English that would get you through everyday life, but I do not think it would hold up in an academic setting. Obviously, their English will improve during school by living and learning in the US, but is that enough?

Of course, there are some students applying to law school that have lived in the United States their entire lives who have a lot of trouble writing too :lol: .

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

zot1

Gold

Post by zot1 » Sun Apr 02, 2017 3:13 pm

People adjust. It's the wonder of the human brain.

issy_cali

New

Post by issy_cali » Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:29 am

retake. Don't waste your time.

popgoestheweasel

New

Post by popgoestheweasel » Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:51 pm

Last edited by popgoestheweasel on Wed Aug 09, 2017 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ponderingmeerkat

Gold

Post by ponderingmeerkat » Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:32 pm

popgoestheweasel wrote:
TJ hands down
Great necro bro.

How much did TJ law pay you to shill?
Last edited by ponderingmeerkat on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”