Iowa (sticker) vs Michigan State (free tuition) Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )
tycovell

New

Iowa (sticker) vs Michigan State (free tuition)

Post by tycovell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:30 am

I have been accepted to both schools. Michigan State offered me a full tuition scholarship, and Iowa will require me to pay full tuition (out of state for the first year, in state for remaining two). I am from Michigan, so I would prefer to work in Michigan or the Chicago area.

My deposit deadline for both schools is April 1st. Iowa is the higher ranked school (#20 vs #96), but I am having a tough time deciding whether Iowa is worth the full sticker price.

I need to make my decision within the next two days. Any advice or opinions would be helpful. Thank you!

cavalier1138

Re: Iowa (sticker) vs Michigan State (free tuition)

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:42 am

What are your career goals?

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Thu Mar 30, 2017 11:48 am

cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals?
^ Please answer this for us, but for now I'll say...

Between these two options, you should take Michigan State. Iowa is not worth sticker anytime but especially when you have a full tuition offer from a decent school in the state where you want to work.

But: What part of Michigan are you from/hoping to work in? Did you apply to Wayne State? I think Wayne State has better employment numbers than MSU and a better reputation in Michigan if you have that an option.

ETA: I wanted to clarify I meant that Wayne State's law school has a better reputation in Michigan, not the school as a whole. I think this has a lot to do with the fact that MSU's law school didn't become affiliated with MSU until somewhat recently so doesn't have the alumni network or name reputation that Wayne State has.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tycovell

New

Post by tycovell » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:12 pm

Sorry, I should have added more about myself.

As far as career goals go, I am not 100% certain on what I want to focus on. I'm currently leaning towards corporate law, but I'd be open to another area if something peaks my interest during my first year.

I am from the west side of Michigan, so ideally I'd like to work in Grand Rapids or somewhere on the west side of the state. I did not apply to Wayne State. I probably should have, but I never did. I did apply to Michigan and I am still waiting to hear back from them.

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:15 pm

If by "corporate law", you mean biglaw, then neither of these schools get you what you want. Retake and reapply, shoot for Michigan if you really want to stay in-state, but any T14 will set you up for that.

Although you might want to see how many opportunities there are in Grand Rapids for the type of work you want to do before you settle on that particular city...

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

blueapple

Silver

Post by blueapple » Thu Mar 30, 2017 12:48 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:If by "corporate law", you mean biglaw, then neither of these schools get you what you want. Retake and reapply, shoot for Michigan if you really want to stay in-state, but any T14 will set you up for that.

Although you might want to see how many opportunities there are in Grand Rapids for the type of work you want to do before you settle on that particular city...
My understanding is that there are a lot (i.e. fewer than Detroit, Lansing, and the Detroit suburbs but more than anywhere else in the state) of small/mid-sized law firms in GR and that they're pretty insular and like to hire people from western Michigan. I think MSU for free should be fine for your goals since you are from western Michigan, but cav is right that you should retake for money at Michigan in order to maximize those chances.
Last edited by blueapple on Fri Jan 26, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 9:12 am

100% NOT Iowa.

tycovell

New

Post by tycovell » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:25 pm

Rigo wrote:100% NOT Iowa.
Are you saying this based off of my circumstances or is there another reason? Either way, thanks for your input.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:28 pm

tycovell wrote:
Are you saying this based off of my circumstances or is there another reason? Either way, thanks for your input.
You want to end up in Michigan. Iowa won't get you a job in MI, and the debt you'd take on would be a huge mistake.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

acr

Silver

Post by acr » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:32 pm

tycovell wrote:
Iowa just isn't a good fit for your goals. You won't get Chicago big law from Iowa unless you rank in the top percentiles of your class. This is tough to do at a "Top 20" law school. And Iowa also probably won't be great for getting you back to the state of Michigan. Michigan State is the better choice for big/small law in Michigan because of its network in the state, proximity, etc. The fact that Iowa won't help you accomplish your goals makes it a poor financial decision. Even with a reduced rate you're looking at around $100K in tuition and probably another $40K in living expenses over three years (I went to Iowa for UG). It's just not worth paying $150K and three years for a school that won't help you accomplish your goals when a school that fits you better is on the table.

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:33 pm

UVA2B wrote:
tycovell wrote:
You want to end up in Michigan. Iowa won't get you a job in MI, and the debt you'd take on would be a huge mistake.
Basically this.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:38 pm

cavalier1138 wrote:What are your career goals?
I love/hate that you have to constantly ask this question on just about every single one of these threads haha it's like a bunch of people are choosing law schools like how they choose which cereal to eat in the morning.

Thomas Hagan, ESQ.

Silver

Post by Thomas Hagan, ESQ. » Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:40 pm

If you want mid/small sized law firm jobs in Michigan, then I would say 100% MSU.
Iowa is a solid school, but definitely not worth paying sticker price and if you want to work in Michigan.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”