Which school? Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Yale, Harvard, Michigan?

Michigan
1%
Yale
69%
Harvard
4%
NYU
26%

Total votes: 81

TAD

Bronze

Which school?

Post by TAD » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:42 pm

At this point, I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to Yale, Harvard and Michigan. I'm predominantly leaning towards the former two, as the debt difference between Michigan and Y, H does not seem to be much, however I've heard mixed comments on whether to pick Y or H.

Goals - Would love to end up as GC for a professional sports team (though I know there is no real likelihood of getting this, regardless of which school I attend). Would also be interested in doing non NYC biglaw, preferably California (have not heard back from Stanford). Also, I have been contemplating academia (not fully committed, and am probably unlikely to do it) but would like to keep this door open just in case.

Debt at repayment
Y: ~133k
H: ~ 145k
M: ~ 67k
NYU: ~39K

Edit: Just got my award from NYU. Did not think it would be as high as it is, and I had essentially ruled it out. The award is near Vanderbilt status, despite not being a named scholarship. Does this change most people's votes?
Last edited by TAD on Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Alexandros

Platinum

Re: Which school?

Post by Alexandros » Sun Mar 26, 2017 3:47 pm

Yale.

guynourmin

Gold

Post by guynourmin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:10 pm

Alexandros wrote:Yale.

proteinshake

Gold

Post by proteinshake » Sun Mar 26, 2017 5:49 pm

guybourdin wrote:

Rigo

Diamond

Post by Rigo » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:10 pm

Well it looks like you have your answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

T3TON

New

Post by T3TON » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:50 pm

Yale. If you get into Stanford at a similar price this decision gets much harder given your stated goals.
I know a couple of people in sports law, feel free to PM me.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sun Mar 26, 2017 8:49 pm

Lol, figured as much but didn't expect it to be so unanimous. Thanks guys!!

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:00 pm

That or TLS has a silly appreciation and hard on for Yale. (Also the poll looks phallic?)

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:17 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:or TLS has a silly appreciation and hard on for Yale.
What would u vote for?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:18 pm

TAD wrote:
RCSOB657 wrote:or TLS has a silly appreciation and hard on for Yale.
What would u vote for?

I already voted.

jjcorvino

Silver

Post by jjcorvino » Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:52 am

TAD wrote:At this point, I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to Yale, Harvard and Michigan. I'm predominantly leaning towards the former two, as the debt difference between Michigan and Y, H does not seem to be much, however I've heard mixed comments on whether to pick Y or H.

Goals - Would love to end up as GC for a professional sports team (though I know there is no real likelihood of getting this, regardless of which school I attend). Would also be interested in doing non NYC biglaw, preferably California (have not heard back from Stanford). Also, I have been contemplating academia (not fully committed, and am probably unlikely to do it) but would like to keep this door open just in case.

Debt at repayment

Also, I could possibly reduce the amount of debt at H and M if I take Y's offer to both of them.
If these were sticker vs M at $67k it might be a closer decision. <$100k difference for Yale is a no brainer for me.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Mon Mar 27, 2017 11:16 am

jjcorvino wrote:
TAD wrote:At this point, I've pretty much narrowed down my choices to Yale, Harvard and Michigan. I'm predominantly leaning towards the former two, as the debt difference between Michigan and Y, H does not seem to be much, however I've heard mixed comments on whether to pick Y or H.

Debt at repayment

Also, I could possibly reduce the amount of debt at H and M if I take Y's offer to both of them.
If these were sticker vs M at $67k it might be a closer decision. <$100k difference for Yale is a no brainer for me.
Makes sense. Thanks.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:26 pm

Edit - Oh, and I'm aware that it's pretty much down to Yale and NYU now. All my awards are in

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:33 pm

Real talk: Are you just going to do big law? If so I'd do NYU. If you have Yale goals then maybe Yale but it doesn't sound like you have those.

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:27 pm

BigZuck wrote:Real talk: Are you just going to do big law? If so I'd do NYU. If you have Yale goals then maybe Yale but it doesn't sound like you have those.
Fair enough.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:38 pm

I voted Yale, because it gives you pretty much maximum flexibility and is reasonably priced.

On another note, I always wonder about the bolded. This is not necessarily about the OP because he's stated other goals and because YLS is realtively cheap here, but I've never met anyone IRL who says they're hoping to be a law professor, but I see it on tls all the time. I theorize that this is often a way to try to get people to talk them into picking an exorbitantly priced higher ranked school.

To be fair, I guess maybe the kind of people that are getting into HYS are probably more likely to be drawn to academia.

RCSOB657

Gold

Post by RCSOB657 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:43 pm

proteinshake wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

dietcoke1

Silver

Post by dietcoke1 » Thu Apr 13, 2017 8:45 pm

RCSOB657 wrote:
proteinshake wrote:
guybourdin wrote:

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:13 pm

existentialcrisis wrote:

I voted Yale, because it gives you pretty much maximum flexibility and is reasonably priced.

On another note, I always wonder about the bolded. This is not necessarily about the OP because he's stated other goals and because YLS is realtively cheap here, but I've never met anyone IRL who says they're hoping to be a law professor, but I see it on tls all the time. I theorize that this is often a way to try to get people to talk them into picking an exorbitantly priced higher ranked school.

To be fair, I guess maybe the kind of people that are getting into HYS are probably more likely to be drawn to academia.
To me it's more if you want to be an academic you know it. That's the primary if not only goal. You don't casually want to be an academic or have it as a "I dunno, maybe!" fallback.

Monday

Silver

Post by Monday » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:12 am

Last edited by Monday on Thu May 11, 2017 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Veil of Ignorance

Bronze

Post by Veil of Ignorance » Fri Apr 14, 2017 10:45 am

People here tend to be debt averse, except for Yale. I don't quite see it, unless getting a prestigious clerkship is a main goal of yours. Personally NYU on that kind of scholarship is pretty great, and I'd take it. Though people do turn down Hamilton and Rubenstein scholarships for Yale.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

TAD

Bronze

Post by TAD » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:12 am

Veil of Ignorance wrote:People here tend to be debt averse, except for Yale. I don't quite see it, unless getting a prestigious clerkship is a main goal of yours. Personally NYU on that kind of scholarship is pretty great, and I'd take it. Though people do turn down Hamilton and Rubenstein scholarships for Yale.
Guessing the votes are the way they are cause of my aid. Seems as if people think Y is worth 90k more than NYU. Had it been sticker, NYU would probably be by far in the lead, and honestly, I wouldn't even be asking this question. Also, I'm guessing since people usually pay more than 133k for non Y schools, and tls sometimes finds those price points defensible, many find 133k defensible for Y.

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:20 am

BigZuck wrote:Real talk: Are you just going to do big law? If so I'd do NYU. If you have Yale goals then maybe Yale but it doesn't sound like you have those.
This is what matters most here.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Apr 14, 2017 11:30 am

Like I get dropping Y bombs or whatever. But Yale isn't going to get the OP any closer to running the Phoenix Coyotes than NYU will. The OP doesn't actually really and truly want to be an academic either (or at least it doesn't sound like it).

There's no point paying a bunch more for Yale if the OP is just going to be some nameless faceless Skadden LA drone.

IMHO

Tiago Splitter

Diamond

Post by Tiago Splitter » Fri Apr 14, 2017 5:18 pm

How are you getting these debt numbers? Y and H will reduce need based aid if you make good money during the summer so keep that in mind. I'd probably save the money and go to NYU but I can understand picking Harvard or Yale. NYU makes even more sense if you have ties to CA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”