. Forum

(Rankings, Profiles, Tuition, Student Life, . . . )

Which one?

Cornell
76%
UCLA
24%

Total votes: 49

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:30 am

[deleted]
Last edited by Malarkey on Mon May 22, 2017 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.

guynourmin

Gold

Re: Cornell vs. UCLA

Post by guynourmin » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:34 am

WLd at B?

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:35 am

Yeah Cornell is the better school but UCLA is a better bet for the West Coast.

It should be retake/reapply >>>>> UCLA if you're staying west >> Cornell for NYC

I know you won't have debt, but you should try to save your savings here. You scored below your PT, you have a great GPA, and your savings shouldn't be blown at UCLA.

But out of the two, gun to the head, UCLA is your better bet.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:36 am

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

goldenbear2020

Silver

Post by goldenbear2020 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:37 am

Malarkey wrote:I'm risk-averse, so Cornell seems like a better bet. Then again, Cornell grads place predominantly into New York, and while I'm not opposed to working in New York, I'd rather be out west. Essentially, it seems like it comes down to job-security vs. geographical preference.
I'd pick Cornell which should give you better chances at biglaw (either in CA, or starting out in NY then doing a lateral back to CA after a couple of years). However, if one preferred a non-biglaw CA job over biglaw NY (and that doesn't seem to be the case for you), then UCLA might be the better choice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

UVA2B

Gold

Post by UVA2B » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:38 am

Cornell is the better choice here, but the cost still worries me mainly because I'm pretty debt averse. The happiness factor will be negligible because you'll make great friends in law school at either place. Plus it's only three years away.

Cornell has national reach and can get you back to CA if you do well and have substantial ties. At different costs, UCLA comes into the conversation, but at equal cost, Cornell easily.

Retake is always an option to further bring down costs if you want to and have other options to put it off, but Cornell is right on the cusp of being worth it to me, particularly when you're talking about zero debt.

ETA: I also equate decimating savings with zero interest debt, so while you're not paying compounding interest on it, you're still selling off the farm for this opportunity (and if that's not selling the farm, you have really impressive savings).

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:52 am

Yeah, stick those savings in an index fund and retake.

Why do you want to be a lawyer?

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:53 am

If you're risk adverse, I'd go with Cornell. Although, I must disclose that I'm a 3L at Cornell. Obtaining biglaw is fairly easy here and I've actually been surprised how many of my die-hard California colleagues landed at least one CA offer.

existentialcrisis

Silver

Post by existentialcrisis » Fri Mar 24, 2017 11:59 am

If OP is open to retaking, then this is clearly the answer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bgt1995

New

Post by bgt1995 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:01 pm

Disclaimer: went to Cornell for undergrad.

Ithaca is beautiful. Not a lot of nice shopping/things to do, but the natural beauty is unsurpassed -- even in winter, my walk home takes my breath away. Cornell Law in particular is gorgeous, and very small (which is what you want). The faculty I've met were incredibly helpful, even though I was only an undergrad! So I think you'll have a good time here.

Cornell punches way above its weight in terms of big law placement. ATL ranks it very near the top. If you graduate from Cornell, you can get a biglaw job. Why risk struggling to get a job as a UCLA grad when you can just go to Cornell, work at a great firm in NYC for a couple years, then transfer back to CA if you want? It seems to me the downside of going to Cornell (a few years in NYC, which isn't your top choice market) is much better than the UCLA downside (lower ranking/prestige, you've heard bad things, bad employment scores).

Ultimately, you're going to law school to get a job. Go to a school where you know you can get a job after graduation, even if the location is less than ideal. This doesn't seem like a tough choice at all to me.

ambrajdurbra131313

New

Post by ambrajdurbra131313 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:15 pm

So, I was in practically the same situation a few years ago and chose the west coast option just because I couldn't tell how much of Cornell's NY placement was self-selection, wanted to be near my family, and was of the personal belief that I could predict how I would perform.

I think it just comes down to whether you really want biglaw- in which case it is Cornell by a mile- or if working in CA is more important to you; obviously, a big part of this is how risk adverse you are as well

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:44 pm

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:48 pm

I'm saying don't blow your retirement and down payment on a house for law school.

You scored below your average. There's no hurry. You've only taken once. Your options aren't bad, but they're not as good as they could be. I think it's much more prudent to stick your money in an index fund, and retake a 4 hour test that could literally save you 100,000 dollars or more.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

cavalier1138

Post by cavalier1138 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:48 pm

Malarkey wrote: I was expecting these suggestions (this is TLS after all) but I'm a bit surprised that a half-ride to a T-14 (or 13, whatever) is easily shrugged off. If I retook and scored the same or even marginally better, it's very possible that I might not receive a scholarship like this next time around.
Half-ride to Cornell isn't the same as a half-ride to CCN (ignoring HYS, because of the different financial aid structure). Yes, if you retook and scored the same, you probably wouldn't see a change. If you retook and scored 1-2 points higher, you could see an increase of tens of thousands of dollars in Cornell's offer and/or better offers from other schools. Once you close in on 170, a single point makes a massive difference in outcomes.

Ronan

Gold

Post by Ronan » Fri Mar 24, 2017 12:52 pm

Dcc617 wrote:I'm saying don't blow your retirement and down payment on a house for law school.

You scored below your average. There's no hurry. You've only taken once. Your options aren't bad, but they're not as good as they could be. I think it's much more prudent to stick your money in an index fund, and retake a 4 hour test that could literally save you 100,000 dollars or more.
Yeah. This.

I'm not shrugging off your options; they are good. But you scored below your average on a test that can save you thousands of dollars and a slight increase in your score could save you a ton of money.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:22 pm

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 am, edited 2 times in total.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 1:55 pm

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Dcc617

Gold

Post by Dcc617 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:36 pm

Malarkey wrote:
Ronan wrote:
Dcc617 wrote:I'm saying don't blow your retirement and down payment on a house for law school.

Yeah. This.

I'm not shrugging off your options; they are good. But you scored below your average on a test that can save you thousands of dollars and a slight increase in your score could save you a ton of money.
For sure, that's fair. I totally get the retake a quick test and save tons of money agenda. My only worry is that according to MyLSN, I received a little over $20,000 more than others who had similar numbers. The average LSAT score that received my 90k offer was in between 169 and 170. Does this mean that I risk losing a potentially generous scholarship if I decide to retake? Would I have to score significantly higher than I was averaging on my PTs in order to get a better scholarship? Or am I putting to much faith in MyLSN's ability to predict scholarships?

Retaking would also possibly result in acceptances at other schools, which is certainly valuable.

Thanks again.
Is retaking and reapplying risk-free? Probably not. But nothing in life is, you've always got to play the percentages.

Trippel

Bronze

Post by Trippel » Fri Mar 24, 2017 2:44 pm

Malarkey wrote:
Trippel wrote:If you're risk adverse, I'd go with Cornell. Although, I must disclose that I'm a 3L at Cornell. Obtaining biglaw is fairly easy here and I've actually been surprised how many of my die-hard California colleagues landed at least one CA offer.
That's great to hear. Do those students have "ties" similar to mine? I'd also be happy with an offer from Denver or Seattle, as I mentioned earlier, although I don't have ties to those regions at all, so I'm not expecting anything.
Yes, most of the people I know with California offers have similar ties.

From what I've heard, you would have a hard time obtaining a biglaw SA in Denver and essentially zero chance in Seattle.

Feel free to pm me with any other questions. Good luck!

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:49 pm

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BigZuck

Diamond

Post by BigZuck » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:02 pm

Malarkey wrote:It would also be great to hear from more people voting in the poll. There's a large silent majority pushing Cornell.
Cuz Cornell is a T14 and higher ranked broham

Who cares what random button clickers think? If they can't be bothered to click enough buttons to write an actual post then forget about them.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

mjb447

Silver

Post by mjb447 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:21 pm

BigZuck wrote:
Malarkey wrote:It would also be great to hear from more people voting in the poll. There's a large silent majority pushing Cornell.
Cuz Cornell is a T14 and higher ranked broham

Who cares what random button clickers think? If they can't be bothered to click enough buttons to write an actual post then forget about them.
#hokum

Most of the people posting are also leaning Cornell if forced to choose between the two options presented in the poll; the reasons for opting for Cornell are pretty well covered if you're going to go for one or the other.

Malarkey

New

Post by Malarkey » Sat Mar 25, 2017 9:53 am

Last edited by Malarkey on Thu Apr 20, 2017 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Winter is Coming

Bronze

Post by Winter is Coming » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:11 am

Yeah I'm also at Cornell and had several close friends who wanted CA get it during OCI (not with amazing grades). While I agree that trying for more money is always preferable, I think Cornell here is a solid option if you are: 1) set on Biglaw over any CA law job and 2) are willing to target NYC and CA (through hustling mass-mailing in addition to bidding) during AJF. There's a good shot you will get CA, but you need to be ready for NYC if Biglaw or bust is your goal. My personal anecdata is that the people with CA ties here (there aren't a ton, but it's not insignificant) are able to get CA biglaw jobs with slightly above median.

Itiswritten

New

Post by Itiswritten » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:36 pm

Disclaimer: Ucla 1L with a biglaw job already secured

You have much better odds of landing a biglaw position in California if you graduate from UCLA than from Cornell. Also, Cornell gets a lot of hate because the logical inference is that, if you chose Cornell, you didn't get into Harvard, penn, Chicago, Columbia, Yale etc.

UCLA is the best law school in LA and lots choose this place for the 'strong regional with money' thing

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Choosing a Law School”